Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 07:48 AM

715 posts, read 2,086,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYcindylou View Post
There are nice things about Palmdale, even on the east side.
I married and moved here September of last year from very rural Kentucky.
I was scared to death when I first came here because I hadn't lived in a city in over 36 years.
These are the things I know for sure. If you are buying or renting on the east side, you want to be 35th street or farther out if you are on Avenue R or S. We bought off Pearblossom Highway 30th-33rd and its a great neighborhood too and very quiet. The area from 47th on is really nice and they are building 2 nice new shopping areas on that street, so things are convenient. You also can avoid the traffic congestion on this side of town. I do not like the mall area at all.
So, people can say what they want, when I first moved here it was to an apartment in what they call the ghetto part of town. sure there are things that were hard there, but what little "gang" things I have seen here, they don't bother the old folks like us who are near retirement. So far we have had no problems and I hope it remains that way. I don't understand the bad mouthing online, as best I can tell Nashville TN has a lot more gang problems and crime than here.
The only downside I have seen is there is no big network to help new people to the area meet others. I miss having friends and family nearby.

Wow, must be really windy in that part of the town.

We're interested in getting a place located near the lake, barrel springs road, a very issolated part from everything else that goes on in palmdale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 11:25 AM

77 posts, read 283,007 times
Thank you for all the info. We have been to Palmdale a few times very briefly to visit friends for a few hours. It seemed nice and reminded me alot of the outskirts of Reno where I have lived for 17yrs. As far as wind we are use to it because it is almost always windy in Reno. We are heading to Palmdale in July to look for an apartment and will be moving in August.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:03 PM

134 posts, read 562,220 times
Default Barrel Springs Rd is directly on top of the San Andreas Fault the springs are related to the fault line alowing water to

Stay at least a few miles away as when that section braks it could open up and swallow your house.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:27 PM

715 posts, read 2,086,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdawgx View Post
Stay at least a few miles away as when that section braks it could open up and swallow your house.
WOW, i didnt know that!!!

What on earth are those people who live in those estate size houses thinking??

Now, thats got my attention, i may have to reconsider. Any aditional info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:43 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,603,062 times
Quote:
i always seemed that Lancaster was better
That was the thinking when I first moved to Palmdale 10 years ago...then a few years later it switched to Palmdale being the better area. Around that time, Palmdale even made the top five for safest communities in L.A...behind Thousand Oaks and communities like that.

Shortly after , both communities started to decline. Cheap housing, section 8's, and inner city relocaters brought their problems to the area. Gang Banging, prostitutes, robberies, and murder. I didn't say drugs because the AV has long been considered one of the Meth Capitals.

When I left (1 year ago), The west side of Palmdale was the best area to live in...but that isn't saying much. It was between keeping my job in the AV and moving to Santa Clarita or moving near family in Arizona. We choose Arizona.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:16 PM

7 posts, read 30,043 times
Yeah like Arizona is so problem free
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles