Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 08:57 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times

Advertisements

The white/black dynamic in LA is fairly irrelevant now. And people will not honestly discuss the white/hispanic dynamic. There is a tension that exists between whites and hispanics in LA but it has only started to surface since whites Angelenos started to realize that they were no longer the majority. And when whites realized just how many illegal aliens were populating the city, the uneasy murmurs started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 09:08 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,114,593 times
Whites love Hispanics because they will work hard and do menial, demeaning work for little to no money like Blacks used to. And that's why they no longer like Black people. We want real jobs and real salaries and will not work in menial jobs.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:39 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,869,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Whites love Hispanics because they will work hard and do menial, demeaning work for little to no money like Blacks used to. And that's why they no longer like Black people. We want real jobs and real salaries and will not work in menial jobs.
This has to be the worst decade ever.

Now I don't know or actually believe that all whites dislike blacks. I also don't believe that all blacks in L.A. are unemployed. I've seen some blacks in construction jobs, the police force, etc. I've alot of relationships between blacks and whites.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:19 AM

26 posts, read 81,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Whites love Hispanics because they will work hard and do menial, demeaning work for little to no money like Blacks used to.
Wrong. Yes, our city's Hispanics will do menial, demeaning work for little or no money, but whites don't love them for it. The white population actually dislikes the Hispanic population even more because of this fact, due to the perception that "immigrants are stealing our jobs". Despite the fact that no white person actually wants to work in McDonalds or in the landscaping business, they still like to b*tch about it and use it as a case against Hispanic immigrants.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:14 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,969 times
I may be alone with this, but I think it's amazing how well everyone gets along.

You could go to Beverly Hills or Century City. And there are tons of upperclass whites and professionals. Driving Mercedes, Bentleys, Ferrari's. Shoping in sick luxury. Sick crazy money for some people.

And then 15 minutes away, you go near downtown. Like Vermont, south of wilshire. Packed buses, streets in poor condition. Rundown, crowded. And it's like that everywhere. How many places have such a high concentrated mix of Harvard MBA's or Stanford lawyers next to people in great poverty.

I think it's incredibly good given the factors. In some cities around the world you have to live in armed gated communities if you have money.

But white, hispanic...white, black...white, armenian, everyone is pretty much accepted anywhere.

Same with smaller groups. Jews in Pico Roberston. Iranians/persians in Century City. Koreans in Koreatown. Armenians in glendale.

I don't think it'd be the same on the east coast. Alot of tolerance out here (recent gay marriage law).

Old 06-20-2008, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I may be alone with this, but I think it's amazing how well everyone gets along.

You could go to Beverly Hills or Century City. And there are tons of upperclass whites and professionals. Driving Mercedes, Bentleys, Ferrari's. Shoping in sick luxury. Sick crazy money for some people.

And then 15 minutes away, you go near downtown. Like Vermont, south of wilshire. Packed buses, streets in poor condition. Rundown, crowded. And it's like that everywhere. How many places have such a high concentrated mix of Harvard MBA's or Stanford lawyers next to people in great poverty.

I think it's incredibly good given the factors. In some cities around the world you have to live in armed gated communities if you have money.

But white, hispanic...white, black...white, armenian, everyone is pretty much accepted anywhere.

Same with smaller groups. Jews in Pico Roberston. Iranians/persians in Century City. Koreans in Koreatown. Armenians in glendale.

I don't think it'd be the same on the east coast. Alot of tolerance out here (recent gay marriage law).
I agree.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:35 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,874,797 times
I totally agree with you that even though L.A has it's problems most people tend to get along with eachother,it's usually the rival gangs that don't like eachother,but that's the case in every city.

When I was in L.A it was also really nice to see so many interracial couples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post

Old 06-20-2008, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
I totally agree with you that even though L.A has it's problems most people tend to get along with eachother,it's usually the rival gangs that don't like eachother,but that's the case in every city.

When I was in L.A it was also really nice to see so many interracial couples.
I'm with you on that one. When I got out to get some fresh air, I saw alot of interracial couples from Los Angeles to Long Beach. Most of the mixed couples were black male/white female. Its amazing.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:13 AM

938 posts, read 4,093,978 times
They aren't really integrated, maybe in older cities/suburbs that have new influxes of Hispanics like Whittier (lived there)/Norwalk/Downey?

For the most part, Hispanics stay confined in their own little ethnic enclaves. South Gate and East LA are 2 good examples.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:18 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodC View Post
Despite the fact that no white person actually wants to work in McDonalds or in the landscaping business, they still like to b*tch about it and use it as a case against Hispanic immigrants.
Here's one economic/demographic datapoint:

One of the first things I noticed when I moved to Colorado (in between Denver and Colorado Springs) was all the entry level or low paying jobs like mowing lawns, car wash guys, McDonalds order takers, restaurant bus boys, etc were being performed by people looked to me to be high school kids. This region (zip 80132 if someone wants to look it up) is like 96% white and like 1% black and like 2% Hispanic (or something really close to that).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles