Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 11:21 PM

12 posts, read 149,494 times

Advertisements

Nice writeups Knox, pretty accurate... This thread reminds of my impressions of LA when I first moved here 8 years ago. Very cool - good memories.

LA is truly a fascinating place, impossible to nail down with one description because every 'checkerboard' area is soooo different (as you've experienced Knoxville).

The only way I can describe it is that LA has the best of everything and the worst of everything, it's totally a land of extremes and it'll take you on the ride of your life. When you're young and single this is the best place in the world.

But after being here for a while, and if you get married, and ESPECIALLY when you have kids... the bad stuff, like the traffic, air, gangs, crappy schools, etc. start to become really noticeable and generally most people seem to move to the OC (if you can afford it), NorthWest, or out altogether. A lot of people stay of course, probably because significant amounts of money can buy your way out of anything!

Enjoy your time here and everything this amazing place has to offer, if you keep your head on your shoulders, it'll change your life forever and for the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 12:03 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,557 times
We have moved to LA with 3 children. They are loving it, learning a ton about other cultures, and enjoying the many incredible experiences and beautiful scenery LA has to offer. We are not in a gang area and aren't looking to have the public schools provide the children's childhood; maybe that's why it's working out so far. And of course, we are still new. It is beautiful though. I can't believe it took us this long to come out here.

I enjoyed your impressions, Knoxtown. I am in total agreement with the ones of them I have experienced. I hope you post more! That RPV picture was absolutely stunning.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:42 AM

5 posts, read 22,723 times
hey knox was checking out your postings man you really get around, sounds like youll tottaly love living here in la really you dont have to worry about the gangs or crime too much, its mostly if you dont know where you are dont be disrespectful cause you dont know whos who, but other than that man its tottaly chill out here, plus if your from the south you can always mention that if you do get in a hazy situation, but anyways you really should just avoid these cetain areas like compton , hawthorne, and inglewood tottaly ****ty area, los feliz really isnt that bad a place at all, but theres certain parks that are well hidden that a few gangs run in the area but you really have to be blind to not see the turf all tagged up then you know your probably where you dont want to be, to be hanoset there are good neighborhoods with the scummy neighborhoods a block away in this city, really its just about the way you react with people here, sounds like youll make lots of friends here and if you need any questions answered about certain areas send me a message and i let you know if theres anything you should be aware of, well enjoy the city if angeles man l8r

Old 06-27-2008, 10:39 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
Wow! talk about a busy trip. Anyways, it sounds like you had a blast, it makes me want to take a week off of work for a "staycation" and get to all the parts of LA that I'm usually to busy to see otherwise.

It's too bad you didn't like santa monica and venice more though. it sounds like you missed the best parts of each area. If you didn't get to hang out on abbot kinney in venice or on main st in santa monica, then you missed the best parts imho. santa monica, along wilshire and montana, a handful of blocks inland is also a real cool area.

regardless, the beach lifestyle in LA cannot be beat, whether it be in redondo or malibu or anywhere in between. I do worry about your commute though. manhattan beach to the miracle mile area is atleast an hour drive each way during rush hour. even santa monica to the miracle mile is probably atleast 45 minutes. i commute from santa monica to century city daily and the 6.5 miles can take anywhere from 15 minutes to over 30 minutes. just remember that is will be difficult to enjoy living by those coast if working and commuting take up too much time in your day.

Old 11-16-2015, 10:58 PM

1 posts, read 452 times
Greetings,

I was wondering if I could use one of your pictures (of what looks like a homeless person in the rain) for a project I am doing for my masters degree. I am doing an intership with an organization in LA that serves homless individuals and it would be used as a background photo in an intranet for the governing board.

Many Thanks for your consideration

Old 11-16-2015, 11:03 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAR51 View Post
Greetings,

I was wondering if I could use one of your pictures (of what looks like a homeless person in the rain) for a project I am doing for my masters degree. I am doing an intership with an organization in LA that serves homless individuals and it would be used as a background photo in an intranet for the governing board.

Many Thanks for your consideration
Please note the OP's post was from 2008 and the OP has not posted again since 2010.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:56 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,659,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Please note the OP's post was from 2008 and the OP has not posted again since 2010.
Yeah, really...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles