Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 09:23 AM

5 posts, read 22,577 times

Advertisements

you probably outta look by where your gonna work since in la you can find nice areas anywhere. you really dont have to worry about accidently landing in a bad neighborhood you will know when you are where you dont want to be, notice graffiti shoes on telephone lines and a bunch of people hanging on the corner, north hollywood is nice dependeing on where ther eis the valley village are there that is very nice and has up and coming shopping but anywhere north of starts to get ugly and a little unwelcoming, burbank isnt bad either but it has bad access as far as the freeway and you pay alot more for not so nice housing compared to noho. the 5 as you get into burbank out of glendale is always jammed but its not that big of an expanse either plus the 101 by noho sherman oaks stays pretty packes during rush hour but is pretty nice between 10:30 and 3: 30 and after rush hour until about 8:00 am. otherwise the city as opposed to the valley can have some pretty nice bargains however you run the risk of more crime due to the fact that gang activity is much more concentrated in the city, but that also depends on which area la is a very large expanse of a city with many sub cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 09:45 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,074,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsqne View Post
What's wrong with Mar Vista????
I live there...
Unless there's been a major clean-up over the past year, it's very gang infested, particularly at the Mar Vista/Venice border.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:23 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,113,570 times
mar vista is not a bad place, there are definitely some majority latino areas in the area, but as long as you live north of washington blvd, its a good mix of people and you should be fine. there is also public housing near the southern portion of mar vista on Culver Blvd, so certainly avoid that area.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:33 AM

6 posts, read 21,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinsm View Post
mar Vista Is Not A Bad Place, There Are Definitely Some Majority Latino Areas In The Area, But As Long As You Live North Of Washington Blvd, Its A Good Mix Of People And You Should Be Fine. There Is Also Public Housing Near The Southern Portion Of Mar Vista On Culver Blvd, So Certainly Avoid That Area.
Yes, That's True, There Are Many Latinos: They Are Babysitting Your Kids For Less Than You Should Pay Them. Some Are Mowing Your Lawn And Some Are Cleaning Your House. But They Are Ok. If You Don't Poke Them They Should Not Bite. They Are Usually Nice And Not Agressive. Do Not Stare.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:05 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,113,570 times
my point was that if you are not latino yourself, you might feel a bit out of place in a neighborhood that is significantly latino.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:16 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,788,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
my point was that if you are not latino yourself, you might feel a bit out of place in a neighborhood that is significantly latino.
Emphasis on might. I'm the only white guy for blocks in my neighborhood, and I feel more at home here than I did in a couple of lily white neighborhoods in South Orange County.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:17 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,074,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsqne View Post
Yes, That's True, There Are Many Latinos: They Are Babysitting Your Kids For Less Than You Should Pay Them. Some Are Mowing Your Lawn And Some Are Cleaning Your House. But They Are Ok. If You Don't Poke Them They Should Not Bite. They Are Usually Nice And Not Agressive. Do Not Stare.
I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable in any neighborhood that was significantly one or the other. BRinSM is right to provide information that can have an influence on whether or not someone will want to move there. I'm sorry you are offended, but there are a good number of people who don't want to live with my (black) people, either. We have put up with the "we'll tolerate you, we'll use your labor, but we don't like you stay away from us, unless you are working" attitude from White people since slavery. You'll have to look elsewhere for sympathy.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:18 AM

16 posts, read 59,620 times
I would like to second Palms - one of my favorite places in LA. First, the rents are reasonable. I have lived in two different one bedroom apartments one from 1997-1999 and another from 2000-2005. The first one (which was ten years ago, mind you) was $650 when I moved in and I think around $690 when I moved out; the second one was $825 when I moved in and I was paying around $930 when I moved out amost five years later. The second was bigger, nicer, and came with my own garage. Palms is beginning to go through a significant redeveloplment phase where some of the older six- to -eight unit apartment buildings which were built from the 20s through the early 70s (plus the occasional still standing, freestanding house) are being torn down and 20+ unit buildings are being built in their place. Because these units are newer and shinier, the rents will be higher. At any rate, there are still some nice older apartments that have the old LA feel to them in Palms with decent rents...for $1200, maybe less, with a little patience and a little luck you can score a nice large 1 bedroom apartment in Palms which can accomodate a couple of people that already know they can get along together in a small living space. Crime is not really an issue in Palms. There were occasional drive-by shootings in the 90s, but today Palms in no way could be called violent, and petty crime (car stereo's being stolen and the like) is MUCH lower now then in the 90s when it was out of control in Palms because of the crack situaion in LA at that time. To put the crime issue in perspective, in Palms, as in most of LA, you will likely find the fact that people ignore the fact that you are alive to be more or an issue than someone bothering with you criminal intentions. Parking is not too bad, and Palms is close to both the 405 and the 10, which you will be getting familiar with regardless of where you end up working. You can walk to a lot of things you need on Venice Boulevard, and you can walk to both Versailles Cuban Restaurant and Nathalee Thai Restaurant from almost anywhere in Palms. I have dined in both of these places many hundreds of times in my life in Palms. They are cheap, food is REALLY REALLY GOOD, and addictive. Palms is, in my opinion, as "central" to life in LA as one can hope to be in a city which has no center whatsoever. From downtown to LAX to Hollywood it is all reachable within 30-60 minutes drive by car in the worst rush hour traffic - faster in light traffic. Highly recommend the neighborhood for new transplants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles