Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 08:17 AM

32 posts, read 199,614 times

Advertisements

Help, I'm moving to the S.F. Valley this summer and want a decent apartment that's affordable and not gang infested I know that's alot. I'm coming from Lancaster which I wouldn't wish on anyone. I don't think I'll fit in Tarzana because I'm mixed race. I'm a Computer Networker by trade.(CCNA)

Last edited by tqorqt; 01-15-2007 at 08:20 AM.. Reason: update
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2007, 10:42 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
Welcome, Tqorqt! Most of the San Fernando Valley is of mixed race these days, so you might be just fine in Tarzana. Also, please give us a price range that you'd be willing to spend on an apartment, because "affordable" can mean many things to many different people. If I were you, I'd take some time to actually come down here and take a look around. Neighborhoods can vary street by street, so don't sign any rental agreement until you've seen and inspected the place very carefully! Good luck.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:56 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,570 times
Will you work in the valley?

Old 01-16-2007, 12:47 AM

531 posts, read 2,074,362 times
If you see a sign in Spanish do not rent in this area, everywhere else is good! As racist as this sounds its the truth.

Old 01-16-2007, 01:14 AM

989 posts, read 5,925,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montevista1 View Post
If you see a sign in Spanish do not rent in this area, everywhere else is good! As racist as this sounds its the truth.
Area with many border-hoppers=signs in Spanish.
little education/skills=crime.

oh and 2+2=4.

Old 01-16-2007, 01:54 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
There are signs in Spanish all over the valley. It doesn't mean anything. My favorite sign in Spanish is "Mariscos" because that means "Seafood"!

Everything really is block by block so you should come down and explore before you pick a place to live. The Holiday Inn in Glendale offers rooms by the month. You can stay there for a month and find a good place to live!

Old 01-16-2007, 02:07 PM

12 posts, read 264,967 times
I'm a former Lancaster resident myself. I actually liked it out there, except for the 2-hour daily commute to the Westside!

I guess the first thing I would need to know is where you'll be working. It isn't too difficult to cross the Valley quickly during non-peak hours, but the commute can be tough depending on where you're going.

Generally, anywhere south of the 101 freeway is going to be a good area; it will certainly cost you a little extra, but you can still find some decently priced apartments there if you do your research.

The west end of the Valley (Woodland Hills in particular) is generally pretty good, but will be a dismal commute if you'll be working in L.A. a lot. Same goes for Granada Hills and Porter Ranch on the north end.

North Hollywood has some very nice pockets if you know where to look (of course, it also has some really nasty parts!). Ditto that for Northridge (near CSUN is actually pretty good if you don't mind living around co-eds!), which is one of the more reasonably priced, non-crime-ridden areas.

One nice thing about the Valley is that renting a house isn't ridiculously expensive if you have a roommate to split the cost with. Even in areas where the apartment complexes are scary, the single-family neighborhoods tend to be better.

You'll definitely need to spend a good chunk of time getting a basic feel for the area if you aren't already familiar with it. Figure out what areas meet your needs as far as transportation, shopping convenience, and safety. Then, once you've found a good location that has the right vibe for you, be sure to come back and walk around it at night.

Old 01-16-2007, 03:00 PM

531 posts, read 2,074,362 times
Default Spanish signs

Its one thing to have a spanish sign at a mexican eatery and its another to have a sign in spanish for insurance, pay day loans, pawn shop, market, bank etc.

Old 01-16-2007, 11:19 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perks View Post
Ditto that for Northridge (near CSUN is actually pretty good if you don't mind living around co-eds!), which is one of the more reasonably priced, non-crime-ridden areas..
I haven't spent too much time in the West Valley recently (my friends in the Valley are in the southeastern part) but I did live in Northridge in the 80s and I do remember one part of Northridge, around Parthenia St. if I remember correctly, as being rather scary back then - and that was a time when the Valley had fewer scary neighborhoods than today. Given what's happened in the interim to the valley, I highly doubt it would be better now.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:41 AM

473 posts, read 2,755,136 times
Tarzana is definitely not whitey only. Actually nowhere in that area is.. It's pretty culturally diverse. You'd be in eat out heaven, because every type of food is available on Ventura Blvd. If you want to stay affordable, don't go south of Ventura Blvd. The further north you go from ventura Blvd. the cheaper, usually.

But before we bought our house in Simi, we lived in Encino, it was great for young living. On the go, everything you could want close by....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles