Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 11:22 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,093,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Speaking about MDR, what about the little row of gift shops that had a cute faux "lighthouse". I think it was called Fisherman's Village. I used to enjoy walking through it back in the early 80s but back then it always looked empty. I haven't been to MDR since the mid 90s. Is Fisherman's Village still around?
it's still there, kept alive by a few different restaurants. i think it's also where the catalina express boats dock. it only really gets crowded on the 4th of july for the firework show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 04:20 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,866,508 times
I like fisherman's village.

It gives west la and MDR a different charm. Pretty much the opposite of the big box, commercialized shopping areas. Has anyone ever been to Shanghai Reds at the end of Fishermans Village? I've never been, but it always looks like a cool restaurant.

And the cheesecake factory across the way is pretty cool, great scenery.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:45 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,617,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
Has anyone ever been to Shanghai Reds at the end of Fishermans Village?
They have brunches on the weekends. Standing room only, packed house. It's pretty good, but really busy. Can be difficult to maneuver around buffet tables for the older folks. And the lines can be long at times.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:33 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,866,508 times
There's a restaurant next to El Torito, I think its an italian place? They have outdoor dining. In the middle of fishermans village.

MDR also has a great post office on admiralty way and fiji. Friendlier and more efficient than others in west la. I haven't been in a while though.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:44 PM

22 posts, read 77,414 times
I miss it too I use to always go there with my brother and my cousins ans friends. We would go play arcade games there and holla at girls back in the day. They use to have a lot of good looking women up there many were actually single.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:59 PM

987 posts, read 1,736,115 times
There use to be a Mexican restaurant with a DJ on the weekends, forgot what it was called (Casa?), on Palawan Way, does it still exist? several (maybe more) years ago that place use to be jumpin, the food was ok, not really memorable. It was nice to go outside the patio and hang out though...

Old 04-12-2011, 05:12 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,459,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
The problem is that there are hardly any middle class families in the area any more. There are plenty of working class latino families and handfuls of upper class white families, but the middle class in the area is now of retirement age and was never replaced by a younger middle class.
Thank you, Proposition 13

MDR may have the oldest average age in L.A. County. The westside in general tends to be on a whole older, but MDR's average age is higher than the average ages in Santa Monica, Venice, the South Bay beach cities, etc. It's full of senior citizens, not too many young people. The days of it being "swingers' haven" in the 1960s and 1970s are long gone (unless said swingers and partiers are the exact same people who were there back then....)

Also, the population of children in Los Angeles County dropped between 2000 and 2010, and the population of children on the westside started dropping long before that.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:39 PM

10,008 posts, read 9,429,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Speaking about MDR, what about the little row of gift shops that had a cute faux "lighthouse". I think it was called Fisherman's Village. I used to enjoy walking through it back in the early 80s but back then it always looked empty. I haven't been to MDR since the mid 90s. Is Fisherman's Village still around?
I used to go down there in the 80's. Stopped by there a few months ago and it looked like it needed a renovation. Many of the stores in the mall area were vacant and no customers in the few stores open.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:10 PM

6 posts, read 21,949 times
If you watch the 1985 movie The Boys Next Door there is a lot of footage of the Marina Del rey marketplace starting at about 30 minutes in, including inside the Westworld Arcade. It's streaming on Netflix right now.

Watch The Boys Next Door Online | Netflix

Old 02-13-2013, 07:27 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,138,413 times
This place is going through a major renovation. I use to always go there after school since I went to Venice. Had some great times there. I remember Westworld. It closed down while I was still very young. It's a shame I didn't get to enjoy it. Now it looks like there will be one of those dine-in theatres. And no more souplantation?!?!?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles