Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 10:10 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,888,756 times

Advertisements

I can't believe how much it's changed in the last 5 years.

I know it's outdated compared to the grove, americana, etc...but kind of sad to see it change.

The pizza place by the Vons I had alot of memories of. That was a staple in the 80's and 90's. Aunt Kizzy's is famous.

Westword arcade I had alot of memories. Spent many saturdays there in the late 80's, early 90's. That was a great hang out, now it's a shoe place. The doughnut place next door was nice, now it's a quizno's I think.

The Kinko's use to be a Swenson's Ice Cream about 20 years ago. I went there for a 3rd grade party.

The hotel there use to house, I think visiting LA teams for the clippers? Not sure if teams still use it.

And the Carls Jr, Marie Calendars, Good Guys and Tower Records, long gone.

The center on admiralty way and fiji way must have hurt business, I haven't kept up with it. That's a gorgeous center about 2 minutes away.

For the out of towners or people that have just moved here, Marina Del Rey is a very friendly area. Kind of a small town feel, slower paced. Great post office, the best in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 09:48 AM

2,318 posts, read 7,842,045 times
That center on Admiralty and Fiji was developed by Rick Caruso as well, who developed the Grove and Americana. Is the Marina Del Rey marketplace the center located on Maxella? That place does look like it could use some renovation. The Tower Records certainly need to be re-leased. I'm sure at some point it will be fixed up. The continual cycle of commercial real estate is always turning. They do have a Rubios and Souplantation though

Old 07-02-2008, 10:08 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
i guess the reason that the stores closed right there at Lincoln and Maxella was because a developer had bought the land and had planned on putting in apartments or condos on top of retail. The neighborhood wouldn't let this plan go through and now the Maria Callendar's and Carl's Jr. among other businesses have been boarded up for something like 2 years. It's really unfortunate that this has all happened. I also hate that new Caruso center because of the way it turns its back to Lincoln. People who drive down Lincoln everyday probably have no idea that there is even a CPK and Chipotle in that shopping center, as well as a brand new grocery store and a hand full of boutique shops. Such a shame.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:13 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
I remember going to the Westworld arcade when I was a kid. Used to hang out there before going to the movies. Never been to Kizzys or Fridays though. That place was "The Hang Out" its too bad its not the same anymore.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:43 PM

I don't know the official name of it. Villa Marina Marketplace, I think is the mall across the street. With the gym, the souplantation, a sports chalet, across the street from the barnes and noble.

I think the one on maxella is called, just marina marketplace, that's what it says online.

The center on admiralty and fiji is like a mini grove, they play frank sinatra, it has a las vegas, bellagio feel.

It's sort of strange that it doesn't face lincoln, people driving down (say to lax), would never know that its there.

The days of Westworld were great. It was more middle class, it drew alot of kids from venice, marina, culver city.

There also use to be a 20/20 video store (I think it was 20/20) down by jerry's famous deli. And there was a B Dalton Books by the Save On.

The pizza place moved farther down, almost in the back corner of the center. But it's not the same.That was really the hang out when itwas next to Vons.

The fatburger is pretty good.

The baja fresh is convenient.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:56 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
The problem is that there are hardly any middle class families in the area any more. There are plenty of working class latino families and handfuls of upper class white families, but the middle class in the area is now of retirement age and was never replaced by a younger middle class.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:52 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,842,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
The problem is that there are hardly any middle class families in the area any more. There are plenty of working class latino families and handfuls of upper class white families, but the middle class in the area is now of retirement age and was never replaced by a younger middle class.
Maybe if some hipsters move into all of those new lofts on Glencoe then that center will be revitalized!

Old 07-02-2008, 06:21 PM

I don't know the demographics of Marina Del Rey very well. When I go to the admiraly/fiji center, its usually upper class older whites, some younger whites (30-45), hot tan blondes, 20-30, occasional body builders. Sort of a closed knit group....compared to say Santa Monica or other areas.

I think the hipsters chose hollywood and downtown vs mdr.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:19 PM

312 posts, read 1,059,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I don't know the demographics of Marina Del Rey very well. When I go to the admiraly/fiji center, its usually upper class older whites, some younger whites (30-45), hot tan blondes, 20-30, occasional body builders. Sort of a closed knit group....compared to say Santa Monica or other areas.

I think the hipsters chose hollywood and downtown vs mdr.
I've been gone from there a while, but it's all about boats, booze and babes, baby!

Old 02-28-2011, 09:40 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Speaking about MDR, what about the little row of gift shops that had a cute faux "lighthouse". I think it was called Fisherman's Village. I used to enjoy walking through it back in the early 80s but back then it always looked empty. I haven't been to MDR since the mid 90s. Is Fisherman's Village still around?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles