Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2008, 12:07 AM

2 posts, read 3,464 times

Advertisements

Hi, I live in Vancouver/Canada right now and I always wanted to move to California L.A. but not sure how. I don't have any family there, so I was thinking maybe the best way is to try to get a job that has offices there and could possible transfer you. Also I know it's a pricy city but can someone give me an example of how much would it cost to rent say one bedroom apartment. Any other
information and facts would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you in advance and hopefully someone replies to me because it's very important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 06:22 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,545,925 times
What kind of work can you do? Have you tried to find out what kind of a salary you could earn here? Your question is too vague; that's why no one has answered your query yet. And welcome to City-Data.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:29 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,111,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziuliia View Post
Hi! My name is Iuliia! I have visited LA this month, this is really beautiful and the most enjoyable place in the world! If you need a help about the place to live, I have very good friend In LA! I can help you to find a nice place to stay, 5 mins from the beach for really good price
Smells like a scam to me.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:21 PM

2 posts, read 3,464 times
Hey Sandy, well I'm in Legal Administrative Program right now and also want to teach piano in the future. I want to have at least an idea what it's like there, food, gas, restaurants, apartments, what kind of people live there for example here in Canada lots of immigrants from everywhere, is there nice architecture. And thanks for the welcome

Old 07-16-2008, 11:02 PM

190 posts, read 848,693 times
You're already living in one of the nicest cities on the West Coast. Why would you want to come to an armpit like Los Angeles????

Old 07-16-2008, 11:51 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,053,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niikkii View Post
Hey Sandy, well I'm in Legal Administrative Program right now and also want to teach piano in the future. I want to have at least an idea what it's like there, food, gas, restaurants, apartments, what kind of people live there for example here in Canada lots of immigrants from everywhere, is there nice architecture. And thanks for the welcome
OK, this is such a huge multi-faceted question. There is EVERY kind of food and ethnic group - it's a wonderful huge melting pot of every culture. Various districts and neighborhoods each have their own ethnic or historical character, and many have new and altering ethnic characters. It's a fascinating kaleidoscope of a city. HUGE.

I was out driving around downtown today, just through a relatively small segment of the city (100 minutes worth of driving), and went through several different-language areas: Korean, Spanish, Chinese, Vietnamese. LA itself is beautiful - the scenic backdrops are breathtaking - the architecture is varied and interesting. Some of it is VERY nice! The highway overpasses are even beautiful. There are vines growing over them, sometimes with flowers. Others are older, sort of crumbly-looking, and the palm trees behind them are picturesque. Coming from Canada, you will probably enjoy the sight of fruit-laden trees in practically every little yard.

Parts of LA are run-down, old, graffiti-ridden, and dirty. Some of the parks are practically wall-to-wall people. There are other parks where you'd be hard-pressed to remind yourself that you're even IN a city. Fresh air, sweet-smelling trees and flowers, and not a human being in sight. There are museums everywhere. There is a garment district, a jewelry district, a flower district, a Chinatown and plenty of Chinese suburbs extending for miles and miles - my goodness, these are just SOME of the things I've seen in the 2 months I've been here.

Gas prices are currently around $4.50 for regular unleaded, and $5.05 for diesel. I think. Grocery prices are as cheap as I've seen anywhere in the United States. Housing is through the roof, although possibly your housing in Vancouver might be close - I haven't looked. New York is more expensive than LA. You should be able to get plenty of piano students, depending on your rates and your area. Try craigslist and be sure to network with other musicians. I see music lessons EVERYWHERE, tucked into small shops as well as people's homes and every other type of situation. If you work it, you can do well.

Welcome! Enjoy!

Old 07-17-2008, 10:01 AM

190 posts, read 848,693 times
Niikkii, if you want to get a good perspective of LA, read the nearby thread, "Anyone else think LA is going down the toilet" It's got like 250 responses. That should give you more than ample info about whether you should come or not. I hope you decide not to - for your own sake!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles