Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2008, 07:23 AM

3 posts, read 6,787 times

Advertisements

HI guys

Need your help I'm soon moving to Los Angeles leaving Europe behind.

I understand that it might be difficult for me to rent a flat in America where I have no history.

I wondered what are other cost, a part from deposit and month rent in advance, when I rent a flat (1 bed/studio) in US.

Would you know what month bill could be for water,electricity? (an average for one person)

Is there any advice you could give me in situation like mine.

thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 08:05 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,113,639 times
There are many, many threads that can answer these questions.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:35 AM

Smile looking for estimated amount

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
There are many, many threads that can answer these questions.

Thank you for your reply... yes I agree there is many threads that can partly answer my questions... I tried to find an estimated amount of what my bills could be, thought if someone lives in LA and rent 1 bed flat could know the answer...
I need to check potential costs very carefully before I accept job offer in LA. if someone could help me to find out what cost of life could be in Glendale (that's the place I would work) I would really appreciated...

Thank you very much for your answers

Old 07-04-2008, 09:28 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,308,960 times
I'm British and had to make the transition myself years ago when it was much easier. If you will be working in Glendale then also consider places like Burbank or TolucaLake to live. Since credit will be a problem as you are new, it's best to find a private landlord instead of a managed building belong to a property company. After moving out of friends homes my first place was sharing a house with another person (private rent) and didn't require a credit check. If you're lucky your employers may be able to give a reference and if I remember there are some buildings who will still consider you if you are new to the country. You might have to pay a larger deposit.

I don’t know if things have changed but when I rented deposits were usually have a months rent or less….there are lots of buildings that have specials.

To be honest their lots of posts that will answer your question…it’s easy to get an idea by reading various posts…either way, it will be less than the UK and will be dependent on your life-style. Check out craigslist and the LA times classifieds.

Last edited by Raggy dee Ann; 07-04-2008 at 09:52 AM..

Old 07-04-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
I'm British and had to make the transition myself years ago when it was much easier. If you will be working in Glendale then also consider places like Burbank or TolucaLake to live. Since credit will be a problem as you are new, it's best to find a private landlord instead of a managed building belong to a property company. After moving out of friends homes my first place was sharing a house with another person (private rent) and didn't require a credit check. If you're lucky your employers may be able to give a reference and if I remember there are some buildings who will still consider you if you are new to the country. You might have to pay a larger deposit.

I don’t know if things have changed but when I rented deposits were usually have a months rent or less….there are lots of buildings that have specials.

To be honest their lots of posts that will answer your question…it’s easy to get an idea by reading various posts…either way, it will be less than the UK and will be dependent on your life-style. Check out craigslist and the LA times classifieds.

Thank you very much... I will search a bit more just when I will have chance to do so as I'm now crazy busy in trainings that will help me to do my work in US... it's great just to have straight answer... I'm sorry it's really not laziness but luck of time to do proper research myself...

Thank you and have a good day/night

Old 07-09-2008, 01:07 AM

8 posts, read 43,922 times
I think it's like 50 to 100 per month. That's a rough guess at midnight. Then again I live in an area where i never need air conditioning or heating.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:05 PM

167 posts, read 492,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zazin View Post
I understand that it might be difficult for me to rent a flat in America where I have no history.
Foreigner here. I didn't have any difficulty. They just asked for a photocopy of my passport and visa. Do be sure to get a U.S.-based credit card immediately, though, so you can start building your credit rating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles