Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 05:09 PM

34 posts, read 343,543 times

Advertisements

Hello, I will be leasing an apt in hollywood in a couple of weeks. I was wondering what the best way would be to get my place furnished? I am a recent graduate so am not bringing anything and will be fully furnishing the apt. with new items. I heard ikea is the best in the area, but i tried ordering online, and delivery was about $400 for $900 worth of stuff what other affordable furniture stores are popular in the area? Also, has anybody had success with overstock.com or similar online sites? Also, is it relatively easy to find somebody in the area who would assemble all of my furniture for a flat fee?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 05:17 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,339,200 times
Rent/borrow a pickup truck and bring stuff home from Ikea yourself. Or do the same with stuff on Craig's List. There's TONS of furniture on CL. So much in fact that when I tried to sell a couple of couches recently, they never got noticed because they were on page 5 before I knew it. As far as assembly, for Ikea/Target type stuff, all you need is a screwdriver or maybe a cordless drill/driver if you've got a lot of screws to turn.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:20 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,614,545 times
go to ikea when you arrive, and ask about the delivery and assembly service they recommend. you will have everything assembled and in place the following day...or, you can spend a whole weekend doing it yourself using instructions that do not include words.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
go to ikea when you arrive, and ask about the delivery and assembly service they recommend. you will have everything assembled and in place the following day...or, you can spend a whole weekend doing it yourself using instructions that do not include words.
lol, do they really not included words? then i will def. have them assemble everything. have you done it before/know how it works? what kind of time frame am i looking at for them to come by and do it and how is the cost determined? also, do they only assemble ikea stuff or if i get a couple things from walmart can they put that together too?

Old 07-06-2008, 05:34 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,614,545 times
yes, i have used the service. i believe the cost is determined by the size of the item to be assembled. since they do not work for ikea, i imagine that they would be willing to assemble items purchased elsewhere, unless their contract with ikea prohibits it. you would have to inquire when they call to confirm the appointment that ikea will make for you, and if there's a problem, you could probably offer the guys who come to your door payment "under the table" to put some other things together for you. i doubt they would refuse.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
yes, i have used the service. i believe the cost is determined by the size of the item to be assembled. since they do not work for ikea, i imagine that they would be willing to assemble items purchased elsewhere, unless their contract with ikea prohibits it. you would have to inquire when they call to confirm the appointment that ikea will make for you, and if there's a problem, you could probably offer the guys who come to your door payment "under the table" to put some other things together for you. i doubt they would refuse.
thanks for the help. if u don't mind, what did u get assembled and how much did it cost? also, did they do a good/fast job? and are there any other furniture stores u would recommend besides ikea?

Old 07-06-2008, 08:09 PM

63 posts, read 196,674 times
Just sent you a PM....

Old 07-06-2008, 08:36 PM

2,071 posts, read 11,993,480 times
Ikea sells very cheap stuff - cheap meaning it won't last more than a year.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
Ikea sells very cheap stuff - cheap meaning it won't last more than a year.
ok, well then where do u suggest I buy my furniture?

Old 07-06-2008, 11:18 PM

37 posts, read 110,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by habibharu View Post
ok, well then where do u suggest I buy my furniture?
LIVING SPACES!!!

At the risk of this post being removed as a plug for the company, Living Spaces was recommended to me by several people on this forum when I was getting ready to move out here a couple months ago. They have a great selection, good prices and same-day delivery if you buy your stuff before 4pm. I spent almost $1400 there (only because I bought a nice bed), and delivery was $75 and I had my furniture 3 hours later. As someone who was considering buying everything from Ikea, I can say that you may still find certain things there (our coffee table, TV stand, and most of our kitchen stuff came from Ikea), but we got a couch and recliner from Living Spaces and they're fantastic.

Also as a side note, be sure to check out their clearance section (in the very back of the store - ask someone if you can't find it). Thats where I got my couch - it has a slight bend in a piece of the frame on the back of the sofa, which isn't noticeable at all, and because of that I was able to get a leather sofa that reclines on both ends for $399. Comparably, the couch we were considering at Ikea was $379, was smaller, and was not nearly as comfortable.

Living Spaces FTW!

Best of luck with everything.

--Chris
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: