Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2007, 03:07 PM

6 posts, read 38,288 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My boyfriend and I are moving to LA in March. He's found a job in Santa Clarita, which apparently is close to nothing. All of my job prospects are out towards the IE - like Colton, Covina, San Dimas, and the closest - Arcadia. Is there somewhere we can live that is nice that would be somewhat of an equal commute time for both of us? Or at least under an hour commute for me? We were initially thinking of living in Pasadena - may be a bit far for Colton... Any suggestions? We're looking for a safe place to live, and willing to spend up to 2500/mos for rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2007, 03:44 PM

473 posts, read 2,754,346 times
well the good thing is that if you live somewhere in the middle traffic shouldnt be an issue, because you'll be going opposite every morning/afternoon from everybody else.

Old 01-17-2007, 03:46 PM

4,668 posts, read 4,034,394 times
Hi Carrboroite:

If you don't have to go to work in Colton, you should probably scratch that off your list. It would not be a pleasant drive from say, Pasadena, and I doubt that you could do it under an hour. Commuting to Arcadia would be a snap since it is virtually next door to Pasadena. Covina and San Dimas would work out well also.

Pasadena is certainly a nice place to live and I would think you could find something for rent in your price range. It's relatively safe, though like most places it has it's good an bad areas. You might try Glendale also. I grew up there, and though it has gotten too big and crowded for me to ever want to move back to it, I think it too would suit your needs.

Old 01-17-2007, 03:58 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,466,186 times
Thumbs up Pasadena and Surrounding Communities are Excellent

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrboroite View Post
Hello!
My boyfriend and I are moving to LA in March. He's found a job in Santa Clarita, which apparently is close to nothing. All of my job prospects are out towards the IE - like Colton, Covina, San Dimas, and the closest - Arcadia. Is there somewhere we can live that is nice that would be somewhat of an equal commute time for both of us? Or at least under an hour commute for me? We were initially thinking of living in Pasadena - may be a bit far for Colton... Any suggestions? We're looking for a safe place to live, and willing to spend up to 2500/mos for rent.
Yeah, Santa Clarita to the Inland Empire would be too far. If you were to stay in Pasadena, your commute to Colton would be about 50 minutes to an hour, because you are heading east rather than west. The places you located in the Inland Empire are very west of the region, which saves about 20 to 30 minutes due to East I.E areas because of the terrifying 91 freeway. All the Cities you mentioned are quite closer than Colton, resulting in less traffic time. I'd say Arcadia is definently the closest, with Covina and then San Dimas behind. Arcadia 15-20 minutes, Covina 25-30 minutes, and San Dimas 40-45 minutes. You could afford an apartment in Pasadena easy for 2500 a month, in a decent neighborhood. Burbank is a great city as well, and is Pasadena's neighbor. South Pasadena is a great place to live. Glendale is a wonderful location. All these places are very safe. For your husband, these cities are very close to the Santa Clarita Valley, and would probably result in 25-30 minute traffic. Hope this helps friend, where you guys coming from?

Last edited by dusesean1986; 01-17-2007 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: add

Old 01-19-2007, 09:37 AM

Thanks for the advice! Is there a city closer to the IE than Pasadena that is a good place to live? For instance, is Arcadia a nice area?

Old 01-19-2007, 10:26 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,466,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrboroite View Post
Thanks for the advice! Is there a city closer to the IE than Pasadena that is a good place to live? For instance, is Arcadia a nice area?
Hey Carr, Pasadena and Arcadia are sister cities. This is probably as middle ground between your husband heading to Santa Clarita and you to the Inland Empire. Both are very nice areas, with great schools. You could look into South Pasadena as well. An average Arcadia household is about $17,000above the median income per family in the U.S., with Pasadena being $6,000 above. Pasadena is extremely diverse, and Arcadia has a huge asian population. Arcadia is about 3 times smaller than Pasadena. Pasadena does have a few rough areas, but you will easily notice by the run-down exterior of homes and landscape. Anymore questions?! Hope that helps!

Old 01-19-2007, 03:17 PM

4,668 posts, read 4,034,394 times
Arcadia is great but I doesn't really get you much closer to the Inland Empire. If your boyfriend is willing to drive a little further to make things easier for you then Glendora, San Dimas, Claremont are nice places. I would avoid Montclair and Pomona. You might also try La Verne and Rancho Cucamonga. Beyond that I wouldn't say you have a whole lot of options.

Old 01-19-2007, 03:52 PM

852 posts, read 3,813,332 times
Is there any way you could get a job closer to Santa Clarita, or could he look near where you are looking? Otherwise, here come two more cars commuting hundreds of hours a week.

Old 01-19-2007, 10:38 PM

108 posts, read 290,687 times
Anywhere farther East than Arcadia would probably be too far for your boyfriend to commute to Santa Clarita, so cities like San Dimas, Glendora, Montclair, etc., while nice places to live, would be too far for him. The part of Pasadena south of the 210 freeway, Arcadia, and South Pasadena are all very nice areas to live in. "Old Town" Pasadena will give you more entertainment and nightlife, while South Pasadena and Arcadia will give you a more quiet, somewhat nicer neighborhood with good schools. Although the city of South Pasadena is very close to Old Town Pasadena, so perhaps that's the best of both worlds.

The cities of La Canada and Montrose are also nice, and would be closer to Santa Clarita, yet still not too far from Arcadia. But they'd probably be too far for you to commute to San Dimas or Covina, although you'd be going against traffic. Colton is way out there, too far from anything!

Old 01-21-2007, 07:52 AM

Thanks for all the replies - the information is really helpful! As to finding jobs closer to one another - um yeah, obviously that would be fabulous, but unfortunately that hasn't been a possibility so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles