Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 01:37 PM

18 posts, read 106,350 times

Advertisements

This is a whole different converstation but I'm not sure Woodland Hills is really Los Angeles. Maybe LA county. This maybe my skewed way of thinking but LA for me stops at the mountains north of Brentwood and the Hollywood Hills, south to Long Beach and east until you get to Pasadena. You might even be able to through Glendale and in the area but thats a tweener. When I think of anything over the hill, I think of the Valley. Its a whole different place. I will agree that it is part of the Los Angeles region but not really LA. I'm sure that someone will correct me if I have this wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perek View Post
I make a middle class wage and maintain a wonderfull lifestyle here. Living in LA is about being carefull with how you spend your money, you can spend alot of $$ here quick. People that hate LA usually are those in the lower classes who are forced to live in a bad area. I love woodland hills, it is one of the best places I have ever resided in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 01:37 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,869,267 times
What's getting to me is that haters are labling LA as being racist and the most racist in the state. Whats up with that?

Old 07-10-2008, 01:44 PM

18 posts, read 106,350 times
I didn't find LA to be racist at all. Classist maybe? but not racist. Actually, I thought it was one of the most accepting communities as far as race was concerned. The constraints and divisions in LA are not race based but social and economics based. I've worked for some of the top company's in the area as a junior executive and what I found was that you are part of the club if you went to the right schools, lived in the right areas, vactioned and hung our at the right places. It had nothing to do with your race. There are wealthy people of all backgrounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFan View Post
What's getting to me is that haters are labling LA as being racist and the most racist in the state. Whats up with that?

Old 07-10-2008, 01:47 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,869,267 times
Default I can't help but type in this kind of font.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteban91075 View Post
I didn't find LA to be racist at all. Classist maybe? but not racist. Actually, I thought it was one of the most accepting communities as far as race was concerned. The constraints and divisions in LA are not race based but social and economics based. I've worked for some of the top company's in the area as a junior executive and what I found was that you are part of the club if you went to the right schools, lived in the right areas, vactioned and hung our at the right places. It had nothing to do with your race. There are wealthy people of all backgrounds.
Yeah that is true. Last time I was in Venice, like this weekend, I've seen a lot of wealthy people from all backgrounds, black, white, Asian, and Hispanic. I've also seen a lot of people in interracial relationships.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:32 PM

6 posts, read 18,217 times
After living in LA for 6 years, we left LA "for the kids." Now, 4 years later, we coming back to LA. We're both from the East Coast, but the draw of LA was too strong. We loved it there. Living in NJ (for the kids) and working in NYC has finally taken it's toll and my commute was only 40 minutes. NYC is great and full of energy, but the West Coast is more our style...less uptight, mellow, the weather, the beach, the mountains, etc. We can't wait to come back and the kids are psyched. I'm in the entertainment industry so for me it's NYC or LA and LA won out hands down.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:39 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteban91075 View Post
This is a whole different converstation but I'm not sure Woodland Hills is really Los Angeles. Maybe LA county. This maybe my skewed way of thinking but LA for me stops at the mountains north of Brentwood and the Hollywood Hills, south to Long Beach and east until you get to Pasadena. You might even be able to through Glendale and in the area but thats a tweener. When I think of anything over the hill, I think of the Valley. Its a whole different place. I will agree that it is part of the Los Angeles region but not really LA. I'm sure that someone will correct me if I have this wrong.
Technically, Woodland Hills is in Los Angeles... it is within the Los Angeles city limits.

But, because of the distance from Los Angeles and considering it is quite different, it really isn't a part of Los Angeles, especially downtown L.A.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:57 PM

355 posts, read 1,479,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Technically, Woodland Hills is in Los Angeles... it is within the Los Angeles city limits.

But, because of the distance from Los Angeles and considering it is quite different, it really isn't a part of Los Angeles, especially downtown L.A.
Yeah, technically the entire San Fernando Valley is part of the city of Los Angeles, but we all know that it is severely looked down upon by the REAL city of LA (as well as the various incorporated cities of LA proper). Once you pass over Mulholland, you aren't in "LA, LA".

The Valley is to LA what Brooklyn or Queens is to Manhattan. Bridge and Tunnel, EWWW. Could be worse, though, because the 909/951 (Riverside/San Bernadino/Inland Empire and the rest of the Valley of the Dirt People, aka LA's dumping ground and landfill and the empty wasteland between LA and Vegas) is to LA what Jersey is to New York City.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:08 PM

979 posts, read 2,093,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getshorty View Post
I'm from the Bay Area, where L.A. bashing is the norm. But i constantly rave about L.A. I love it there. I never understood why the average Angeleno allows for all this constant bashing. But on the flip side, i don't know why everyone else cares to bash it whether they had been there or not. Just because I don't like a city (i.e Sacramento, Baltimore, Wash D.C., San Antonio) doesn't make me want to bash them. But that's just me, I'm pro CALIFORNIA. I don't allow outsiders to bash any California city (SAC included). I don't too much mind the in-state bashing though just as long as we stand against everyone else. This comes from someone that lived on the East Coast for 3 years and had to hear the full magnitude bashing on ALL of California no matter what part you were from. To them we're full of gangbangers, gays, fruits and nuts, plastic silicone people, fake people etc etc etc.

I agree. I was born and raised in Sacramento, now live in SF, and I don't like it when people bash Sac. It's a great place to live. Personally, I can care less about Los Angeles, but when I'm outside of CA, I defend it.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:00 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,663,530 times
thnaks guys!!! i too root for CALI. esp. in sports. any cali team first. even the hated giants!!! but from SAC to SF to LA to SD. there are many wonderful places to enjoy life. its great here.

now for the woodland hills thing. while technically within city limits, it might as well be a world away. i consider LA to be DT and a radius of 8-10 miles. of course that only takes you as far south as compton and not LB, but to me LA has always been downtown and its surroundings. one can argue for a 12-15 mi radius, but 10 is a good round number.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:09 PM

56 posts, read 180,846 times
I used to think I hated LA- until I moved away. Every place has good and bad things about but all in all, I think LA is a pretty magical place if you just let yourself look at it that way. The traffic is tough and some people can be incredibly shallow, but there are also wonderful people around and it is never boring. We moved because of having kids there and from what I am seeing, lots of kids around LA actually get more direction from than there parents than where we live now. I think LA just has a very big personality and big personalities tend to get picked on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles