Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 09:04 PM

147 posts, read 376,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
Whenever I hear people say they hate L.A or California,I just shrug my shoulders....L.A and this entire State has so much to offer
What a great outlook!!

I have never understood the great hate that many people have of LA, or the need they feel to always make it out to be some slum.

What I think really bothers thsese naysayers is when people like you simply shrug the remarks off, give a slight chuckle, and then just walk away knowing that LA is a great city! LA has problems. So doesn't every city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 09:52 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,868,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona sunset View Post
What a great outlook!!

I have never understood the great hate that many people have of LA, or the need they feel to always make it out to be some slum.

What I think really bothers thsese naysayers is when people like you simply shrug the remarks off, give a slight chuckle, and then just walk away knowing that LA is a great city! LA has problems. So doesn't every city!
Last I check, Philly was ranked the highest US city of crime.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:46 AM

18 posts, read 106,345 times
Ok, this is definetly all about perspective.

Culver City is nice I agree with that. I lived there. To say Carson is nice is a little bit of a stretch. I had a girlfriend that lived there. I wasn't impressed. Not to mention Carson at the height of this whole SoCal real estate messs was priced above $500k median. Its good that SoCal people are starting to see housing prices come down in areas like this. $500k for a house in Carson was ridiculous. I wouldn't agree with you about southgate or Bell. Are Lakewood and Cerritos really in LA? SFV valley maybe a official part of LA but its really not LA geographically or culturally. Woodland Hills, Sherman Oaks are not "LA". Burbank maybe. I would be hard presed to say SGV is in "Los Angeles".

The million dollar home statement is at the heart of my point about LA. A million dollar home in LA is really a middle class home in most other American Cities outside of the largets markets (New York, SF) so its really not that impressive. I can show you homes here in Sacramento around the $200-400 mark that look like $1million homes in LA.

Have you actually been to the area west of the 110 before you hit the 405 lately? Other than a few pockets of homes over $600k in Culver City and Baldwin Hill/Ladera Heights the rest sucks. Can you really say that Gardena, Inglewood, Crenshaw, Watts are nice places to live? My grandfather lives in Inglewood off of Century Blvd near Hollywood Park. I visited him weekly and spent time driving through his community. His little 2bdrm 1 bath home built in the 50's was valued at $500k. His neighborhood is not that nice.

We'll really get nowhere with this discussion because in the end its all about perspective. From my perspective Quality housing can be found in Los Angeles if you have the $$$ to pay for it. What I see as middle class housing in Los Angeles requires at minimum a upper middle class salary of at least $200k. I'll use Culver City as an Example. Culver city is a perfect example of what middle class areas in the rest of United States look like. I know, I was in the military and traveled to almost every major city in the US. Most people in Sacramento can afford the Culver City type of housing. Those homes are probalby worth about $250k here in Sac. In LA, they're now probably worth about $550-600k. So from my perspective any areas below the Culver City standard are marginal.

In the end its all perspective and what your used to. Thank you for providing me insight into your persepective it helps me further understand my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
A-Stay-bon, please look at a map and see that the area bounded by those freeways is not that large in comparison to the LA metro area. furthermore thos boundaries inlcude cities like culver city and downey and other very nice place to live. and not in the "i got used to the nastiness so im blind to it" niceness. they are places that have million dollar homes.

i think the better boundaries to dictate what is not the most desirable area to live in are the 10, 710,105(or th 91) and the 110(or western ave). but i must say that within this perimter you still have nice areas. relatively quiet and safe like south gate and bell.

so lookin at a map you see plenty of areas that middle class or even aspiring to be middle class people can live in. from carson, to lakewood to cerritos to whittier to alhambra and beyond into the SGV. and thats not even looking at the SFV.

PS positive outlooks make life better.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:14 PM

396 posts, read 1,723,566 times
people just know what they have seen on tv and movies, because tv and movies are always right.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:36 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,868,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dereistic01 View Post
people just know what they have seen on tv and movies, because tv and movies are always right.
TV increases paranoia in people sometimes.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:41 AM

330 posts, read 1,313,888 times
Question Woodland Hills

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteban91075 View Post
This is a whole different converstation but I'm not sure Woodland Hills is really Los Angeles. Maybe LA county. This maybe my skewed way of thinking but LA for me stops at the mountains north of Brentwood and the Hollywood Hills, south to Long Beach and east until you get to Pasadena. You might even be able to through Glendale and in the area but thats a tweener. When I think of anything over the hill, I think of the Valley. Its a whole different place. I will agree that it is part of the Los Angeles region but not really LA. I'm sure that someone will correct me if I have this wrong.
Woodland Hills is in the San Fernando Valley section of LA County.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:06 AM

705 posts, read 3,297,061 times
^^ Woodland Hills is in the SFV as a community of the City of Los Angeles. Almost the entire SFV is part of the city of Los Angeles. When you move from community to community for example Van Nuys to Studio city the Los Angeles City Shield is on the name sign.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:26 PM

239 posts, read 687,580 times
Much of the blame for LA Hate has to be attributed to sports coverage. For years the NBA playoffs have included the Lakers in a big way.

No matter what, the rest of the country hates the Lakers because of their success. The networks play on this to hype each playoff match up to boost their ratings.. The more hatred of LA...the better the ratings.

NBC and TNT give the rest of the country the impression everyone in LA is a spoiled celebrity who has nothing to do but follow the Lakers. We like our Lakers, but there are so many other things in our lives...museums, the beach, the desert, the mountains, service organizations, clubs, youth sports, school activities, etc. The list goes on.

Peace!!!

Old 08-20-2008, 08:11 PM

240 posts, read 888,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteban91075 View Post
SFV valley maybe a official part of LA but its really not LA geographically or culturally. Woodland Hills, Sherman Oaks are not "LA". Burbank maybe.
Hmm.

Woodland Hills and Sherman Oaks are indeed a part of the City of Los Angeles.

Burbank is part of the L.A. Metro Area, but it is definitely not part of the City of Los Angeles. Burbank is a city unto its own.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:47 PM

380 posts, read 1,058,505 times
LA is basically cool, the snobs of Beverly Hills and those racist illegals over in Maywood are the only problems. The biggest problem in California is the liberal policies, we natives pay taxes out the wazoo, only to have the state house pals of that idiot Nancy Pelosi give it away to non citizens through various programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles