Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 11:10 PM

4 posts, read 31,623 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Socal from San Jose and I need to figure out where I can live and still work in Westlake Village, CA. I want to live in the City but don't know if a 30+ mile commute to Santa Monica or Hollywood is doable? Can someone name me some good neighborhood options?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2007, 11:24 PM

989 posts, read 5,924,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krass42 View Post
I am moving to Socal from San Jose and I need to figure out where I can live and still work in Westlake Village, CA. I want to live in the City but don't know if a 30+ mile commute to Santa Monica or Hollywood is doable? Can someone name me some good neighborhood options?
Krass-Westlake Village is a beautiful area. Santa Monica is also a great area. They are both equally expensive. The commute from Santa Monica will be rough. The 405 and 101 Freeways are about as bad as it gets. It would be just as wise to commute to Westlake Village via PCH(through Malibu) and Kanan Dume Rd. (you are looking at atleast an hour)

I recommend the you consider the Valley along Ventura Blvd. Encino/Sherman Oaks offers a lot of big city amenities. It is a lot more diverse/vibrant than Thousand Oaks/Westlake. You should talk to SandyCo(she lives in Sherman Oaks).

Old 01-17-2007, 11:36 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,546,711 times
Welcome, krass. Personally, I'd love to live in Thousand Oaks or Westlake Village! They're both very good, safe areas. They are "bedroom communities", for the most part, although Agoura Hills has some nightlife even on the weekdays and that's only minutes from Westlake. PM me for more info, if you'd like.

If you must live in the Valley, then try to stay south of Ventura Blvd. and be very careful where you rent or buy. There are bad buildings in good areas (I live in one!). I would also advise that you try to stay west of the 405 fwy, because the morning traffic often backs up right around there.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:54 PM

Default ...nice info

Thank you very much for the information. This was exactly what I was looking for. Being from Germany and having lived in San Jose only for 1 year I really don't know much more about the LA area at all. I've been down to Westlake Village and stayed in Thousand Oaks and though the area is pretty, I feel to young and motivated to not take advantage of city life. Really, I've only mentioned Santa Monica and Hollywood because I've visited these places and really liked it. Any other areas that I can consider for living and make it to Westlake Village in less than 1.5 hrs in the morning? Also, how early would I have to leave in order to beat traffic? Here in the Bay Area you better be on the road well before 7 to not stop on the freeway.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:37 AM

12 posts, read 264,940 times
In L.A., depending on the freeway, it can be 6 am and you'll still be sitting in traffic.

If you're gonna be in Westlake Village, I would agree that the San Fernando Valley is your best bet--almost anywhere near Ventura Blvd. will allow you many good local shops and restaurants. You'll have to drive a bit to get into the more "hip" parts of the city, but you'll save a lot of time driving by down into L.A. a couple times a week compared to driving from L.A. into Westlake Village on a daily basis. Plus the freeways are usually a little easier to navigate on the weekends.

Old 01-18-2007, 09:33 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,466,401 times
You're going to be much better off traveling from Santa Monica to Westlake Village in the morning, then the other way around, and vice versa. Your trip will probably last an hour fifteen. Remember, the earlier you can wake up, the best sure bet you can get to your destination. It's good to be in Santa Monica. Take as many surface streets as possible, to get passed the 405 to the 10 interchange. South of this interchange is terrible. The 405 is terrible, but you won't be on it long, because the 101 interchange to Ventura is right over the Sepulveda Pass. The 101 Northbound to Westlake Village moves quite well. Its a good thing you aren't going Southbound in the morning. If you like sports, listen to 570 and 710 AM, it definently kills time. You should go to SigAlert.com every morning, to gage your trip distance, it perfectly says the car speed for each street turn-off.

Last edited by dusesean1986; 01-18-2007 at 09:35 AM.. Reason: add

Old 01-18-2007, 02:34 PM

531 posts, read 2,073,983 times
Live in Woodland Hills or Calibasas the commute is easy. Westlake Village is great too. You are nuts if you want to live in Santa Monica & commute. You might as well live in Camarillo if you want the beach and commute to Westlake.

Old 01-18-2007, 05:12 PM

Default nice options!

Thank you all again for the advice.

So, San Fernando Valley, south of Ventura Blvd and Santa Monica sound best to me right now. Don't know much about Camarillo but I was driving North on 101 to get back to San Jose and it just seems to quite and 'suburby' out that way. What about places like N. Hollywood, Studio City, Van Nuys, Burbank and such? Don't know much about these places either but on the map they seem doable, considering my commute to Westlake Village. I would love to be close to the water that's why Santa Monica sounds so exciting...what about Venice Beach? Also, what about Malibu? No doubt it's gorgeous but I will be renting and can't pay more than $2k at the very most....it this realistic? I couldn't find many vacancies at all in Malibu though.

Again, any more ideas on good places to live (need some action and a fairly save neighborhood preferably close to the beach but that's not necessary) that are not too far from Westlake Village? I do not want to commute for more than 1.5 hours each way....I'd prefer not more than an hour but I guess I'm just dreaming of my days on the Autobahn.

Old 01-18-2007, 05:59 PM

531 posts, read 2,073,983 times
Default Calibasas, Woodland Hills

From Calibasas or Woodland Hills you can be at the beach in 30 minutes.

Van Nuys, Studio City is even farther away. To rent in Malibu is insane! The whole valley is a suburb you going to have to get used to it!

Old 01-19-2007, 09:32 AM

473 posts, read 2,754,500 times
honestly, i work in westlake village, and i suggest simi valley. The rent on avg from what i notice is cheaper than the valley. Can't get much quiter/safer/nicer (other than thousand oaks, and moorpark, but they dont have anything other than housing, simi's got shopping, restaurants, etc) than simi valley.

Also it takes me around 30 minutes to get to westlake village, but thats w/ no traffic. I take a nice peaceful back road route, to avoid the freeway, and i can get to westlake on all streets. On the freeway from simi to westlake, youre looking at about 45 min. in rush hour. but its only about a 16 mile trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles