Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2008, 12:06 AM

81 posts, read 285,232 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

Ever since I turned 21 a few months ago I've been living the life and exploring L.A.'s bar scene every chance I get. Well, as best I could given my time and budget. Most of the places I've been to have been close by for me (Silver Lake, Eagle Rock, Highland Park, Atwater). And I've found some awesome ones, but I'd love to discover new places to hang out with some drinks without hurting my wallet so much. So, I want to know if you guys have some recommendations on bars and lounges in L.A. that are relatively cheap. And it doesn't have to be close by, but any place within 20 mins of Glassell Park would be great. Would love to know any cool bar districts to crawl around on foot. It sucks having to drive around on a drinking night. I don't mind dingy dive bars; actually the cozier the better. CHEERS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 09:02 PM

689 posts, read 2,581,797 times
Don't know much about the LA bar scene but I'm curious about the bars on Figueroa in Highland Park. I read about how some of these are becoming popular with the younger crowd in Mount Washington/Silver Lake. Places like La Cueva, Dusty's, etc. Have you checked out any of these places? I'd like to find a good, cheap bar to go get a cold beer. Too bad there is not a Moe's around. When I was younger I lived in Hollywood and we would hang out at the Powerhouse on Highland just north of Hollywood Blvd but that's been along time.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:05 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,752,614 times
Been to Barney's Beanery yet?

Old 07-15-2008, 10:24 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
the derby at hillhurst and los feliz has a pretty cool lounge.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:19 AM

5,408 posts, read 12,663,530 times
what is expensive? 10$ mixed drinks? 7$ mixed drinks? 6$ beers?

these are all places i have been.

the derby is a cool spot, havent been in about a year tho. i remeber drinks being 8-10$

also check out verdugo bar. it opened about 6 months ago on verdugo in glassell. last i was there, there was no cover and it is marketed as a beer bar. its at verdugo and 34th ave or ave 34. whatever.

im sure you've checked out lil cave in Hi Park.

in downtown the more economic places are
bar 107 on 4th and main (which i detest for personal reasons)
charlie o's on 5th and spring when it reopens.

economic for me, maybe not for others...
broadway bar, 8th and Brdway.
library bar on 6th, catty corner to the $tandard.
golden gopher on 8th is a hit with the youngins these days. 8$ drinks and up. dont know about happy hour.

there are many other places in DT, but the drawback would be your budget.
j. lounge on olive is too pretentious now. and 12-15$ drinks. as is the flat on garland/8th as is elevate. and the $tandard. those spots are a bit more upscale with dress codes and snooty people.

in J town check out my all time favorite. weilands brewery. 1st and alameda. good happy hour deals. actually forget bout every other place. go here first and try the buffalo shrimp and garlic fries. you will be back weekly!

outside of DT, check out pasadena. try 35'ers in old town. its a kick back sports bar type of place. dancing down stairs some nights.
if you want check the spot formerly known as Bar Celonas/34 colorado? (no cover now, but 9$ mixed drinks) more of a lounge.
barneys. either one on colorado(pas)

plenty of other places around town. if you want more info. PM me. or better yet, try yelp.com.

good luck and welcome to the big leagues

AND NEVER DRINK AND DRIVE PLEASE

its not worth it.

no matter what you kids see nowadays in the media or celebrities doing, no matter what you think is acceptable, DUI's are not normal or a rite of passage for anyone.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:53 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
i've also heard good things about The Scene in Glendale. Apparently they have bands play there as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles