Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 10:53 PM

3 posts, read 9,463 times

Advertisements

I've read some posts here on the LA forum and now I've been asking myself, "Really, Rachel? You really want to move here?" I've applied to the Art Institute in LA. Not accepted yet but just looking and getting a heads up. That's why I came here. I'm trying to find out more about this city other than what I can find on the "official" websites. But mostly all I see is negative stuff. Is it honestly THAT bad? Am I really going to be murdered or robbed within about the first hour I'm there? (Complete dramatization right there). I'm not going to live in the ghetto or in the other rough areas. They provide student housing in gated complexes. I may be from West Virginia but I'm smart enough to stay out of business I obviously have no part in. I'm used to a big city (I don't mean in WV. There are none of those), I've traveled and lived in New York, DC, London, and Miami. I'm not saying that LA is exactly like these but it gives me an idea of how living in one of the largest cities works. What I'm trying to ask is can you put my mind at rest? I realize that every place in the world has good and bad and we tend to talk mostly about the negative because that's what we want to change. I think I've heard enough bad stuff about LA maybe you can show me some good things. If all goes well perhaps I just might see you there. If I can pick you out of the other millions. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 11:22 PM

396 posts, read 1,723,566 times
ive been here 5 months and have yet to be murdered or robbed.

sure, there is crime here, but la doesnt even rank in the top 25 highest crime in the country.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:23 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times
How good or bad L.A. is depends on who you talk to and what their experiences have been. Although I'm stuck in a rent controlled apartment and deal with obnoxious neighbors, I'm also in a pretty good neighborhood that's relatively centrally located. If you keep yourself safe the way you would in any big city (keep your doors locked, don't go for a walk by yourself in a questionable area at midnight, etc.), you'll be fine.

There are a lot of good things here. There's never a shortage of things to do, including a lot of free concerts in the summer, etc. If you have any specific questions, maybe we can be more helpful. And welcome to City-Data!

Old 07-15-2008, 11:28 PM

396 posts, read 1,723,566 times
i live in a great area, no crime at all. i love it here. everything i want is within 5 miles.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:47 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,141,754 times
If you've lived in New York City you'll be fine. Plus you've lived in London and DC? I wouldn't even sweat it.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:48 PM

162 posts, read 572,394 times
No it's not that bad, not in the ways you are talking about.

I hate much of So Cal, but that's personal preference and doesn't really reflect feeling in fear for my life or anything. I can see why people do like it, and you probably will too.

There are areas to be avoided of course, but as you say, you're smart enough, you'll know what to do and what to avoid. It's much mellower than NYC, that's for sure. Probably more like Miami, but on a much larger scale. Just my two cents, of course.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:36 AM

26 posts, read 98,991 times
i just moved here last week because i will be attending Art Center in Pasadena. I feel totally safe so far and honestly do not feel like LA is as bad as it is made out to be. The weather is freaking fantastic too (at least compared to Austin TX right now, my hometown)

Old 07-16-2008, 07:15 AM

570 posts, read 1,582,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef_rach View Post
I've read some posts here on the LA forum and now I've been asking myself, "Really, Rachel? You really want to move here?" I've applied to the Art Institute in LA. Not accepted yet but just looking and getting a heads up. That's why I came here. I'm trying to find out more about this city other than what I can find on the "official" websites. But mostly all I see is negative stuff. Is it honestly THAT bad? Am I really going to be murdered or robbed within about the first hour I'm there? (Complete dramatization right there). I'm not going to live in the ghetto or in the other rough areas. They provide student housing in gated complexes. I may be from West Virginia but I'm smart enough to stay out of business I obviously have no part in. I'm used to a big city (I don't mean in WV. There are none of those), I've traveled and lived in New York, DC, London, and Miami. I'm not saying that LA is exactly like these but it gives me an idea of how living in one of the largest cities works. What I'm trying to ask is can you put my mind at rest? I realize that every place in the world has good and bad and we tend to talk mostly about the negative because that's what we want to change. I think I've heard enough bad stuff about LA maybe you can show me some good things. If all goes well perhaps I just might see you there. If I can pick you out of the other millions. Thanks in advance.
Is it honestly THAT bad? YES it's that bad. But if you are going to LA for school for a wile and then move that may work. But to live in Los Angeles, NO WAy.
LA Gangs are invading Catalina, And they have to take a boat to get their. So just think what Los Angeles is ilke?

Old 07-16-2008, 07:29 AM

186 posts, read 659,425 times
Live in a good area and you'll be fine.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:43 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,110,658 times
I don't understand the point of this posting. It sounds to me like you read things that you didn't want to, so you want everyone to contradict what you've read and write what you want to hear so you can justify making a move. You obviously want to move to LA in spite of what you've read. Long story, short: I grew up here and I can't wait to leave. LA does not live up to the hype. If you've read the threads you know you need a lot of money to have a decent life here. Will you have that? If you don't believe or accept the things you've read here, just come on and you'll see for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles