Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 12:10 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
There was a time in the sixties that you could get to the beach in twenty minutes from just about anywhere including the Valley. You could get to Big Bear in 1 1/2 hrs. and Palm Springs in 2. I lived 45 minutes from Santa Barbara last year and it would usually take us 1 1/2 on a weekend to get there and to leave Ventura County you would sit in traffic once you hit Calabasas. Most of the time we would just turn around and stay close by. Got very tired of being in a bubble so we moved to Boston last year! Best decision ever!
I know what you mean. I used to go for a drive on the weekend when I had nothing better to do. It was nice to get out of the apartment and see the mountains or desert instead of concrete and buildings. But getting to the mountains or desert through the traffic got to be such a chore, it really took the fun out of it.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:36 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I know what you mean. I used to go for a drive on the weekend when I had nothing better to do. It was nice to get out of the apartment and see the mountains or desert instead of concrete and buildings. But getting to the mountains or desert through the traffic got to be such a chore, it really took the fun out of it.
not to mention the price of gas these days. if anything, the expensive price of gas is thinning out the traffic to places like big bear and palm springs. that is what i have been noticing anyways.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:52 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
But in Colorado, you can live affordably enough to save up for some great vacations.
Somehow, many California residents do go on great vacations.

Quote:
People always use that mountain, beach, desert in a day thing as a plus for California. Seriously, who actually DOES that?
As Chuck already said, a lot more than you would guess actually do that. There are many clubs and organizations which drive around the southern California area. Residents/families who spend a few hours driving in the mountains and desert then out to the beach.

Quote:
How long are the days on your planet and how much do you like sitting in traffic?
It really does not take that long. One could drive out to the desert, drive back into the L.A. area through one of the mountain roads and continue out to the beach in much less than one day- more like 5-6 hours.
Myself and a few other friends have quite a few times driven up one of the mountain roads (Big Tujunga Canyon and Angeles Crest Highway), into the desert, and back into the mountains. Not once were we sitting in traffic. We did not drive out to the beach, but we could have easily taken the 101 (Ventura Freeway) to Malibu Canyon Road and out to Zuma Beach.

I have driven out to Zuma Beach myself and was not sitting in traffic, even on a weekend. Yes, at some points, there were 8-10 cars in front of me waiting for the left-turn arrow, but that was about a 1-2 minute wait. Certainly not enough to keep me away from the beach!

Old 07-21-2008, 05:01 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,155,506 times
Quote:
You may think LA is a magical wonderland, but those of us who live in the real world know it's not.
Here is your problem. You want people to let you have your views of LA, but you want to label every ones that likes the city as "not living in the real world". And for the record I've never stated that LA is a wonderland, in fact I don't even plan on staying here.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:27 PM

514 posts, read 1,441,334 times
Amazing how people behind computer try to make themselves bigger then they are.

LA was a better place to live 10-20 yrs ago.Doesnt mean its not for others.There are still things i love about LA,Its just certain things i didnt like anymore that got me to move.Other then that their still are many great things about LA

Traffic is horrible,But you will have a certain amount of traffic no matter where you go.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:46 PM

102 posts, read 350,326 times
Default Los Angeles

Even though I have never been to LA, I know someone who has been there. They said that despite the crime, it's a wonderful city that has something for everyone. You can't complain about it's location(close to the ocean) and the mild winters.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:56 PM

7 posts, read 22,150 times
I lived in LA for about 10 years total. I got by just fine there and made some great friends. The weather is fantastic. But the day I left LA for good was a very happy day indeed. Yes, people do bash LA, but there is a lot about it that deserves bashing. Sorry, that's the way I see it.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:09 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,115,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
How can you possibly write this? There's no logic to your statements. Take a drive on Sunset Blvd or Wilshire Blvd from downtown to the ocean.
Who on God's Green Earth would want to?

The neighborhoods vary dramatically. What city has a street like the Sunset Strip? Driving to cliffs above the Pacific like in Santa Monica\ Topanga canyon, around the Getty Center where you can view both the basin & the beach.
I love the view from the Getty. I enjoy it immensely on the ONE day you can actually see from Downtown to the Ocean.

I can cite one example after another all over LA [I can see the ocean during 'santa anas' & I live 15 miles from the coastline]. For one day, two at the most after the wind storm.

I mean there are so many places in LA that are unlike any other city.

I don't know where you live in LA but it appears it is blinding your view of life.
I've lived all over the city for over thirty years.
And yes living in LA will blind one's view of life, thus the need to leave the city. And why I have such a low opinion of it.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:27 PM

102 posts, read 350,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
And yes living in LA will blind one's view of life, thus the need to leave the city. And why I have such a low opinion of it.

Good luck in Arkansas! I hope you will appreciate the southern hospitality.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:59 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,971 times
CESpeed is a nice lady who knows LA well, and apparently has enjoyed it from time to time. She has also witnessed some tragedies here. It's OK, she has a right to her opinion too, and she gives good neighborhood advice about specific neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles