Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 05:21 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,863,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.orange View Post
hey all, im pretty sure by now your getting sick of hearing this but id like some answears of my own. im 19 and would like to move to los angeles from denver. i want to be a photographer or camera man for anything. i plan on finding a room mate or two. im not making that much here in denver only $9.00 an hour 40 hours a week. when or if i do move i would like to shoot for more money. i have looked on craigs list for roommates, only problem is i have no idea what cities they are listed under. i know the basics such as compton and most of east l.a are bad. so my main question is can anyone tell me some decent places to live. im not talking about newport but a place where i can feel safe.
i do understand that 9 bucks an hour is bad and id be living on top ramon for a long time but.....would it be worth it? thats another concern of mine.
i like l.a but do understand that it may be going down the drain. so if anyone could please help me out it would be much appreciated.

You won't make only 9 in L.A. though. Its more expensive in L.A. therefore you will get more. That's why I don't understand why some say it will be hard with 9 hours. It is obvious that you make more in a more expensive city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 07:37 AM

230 posts, read 1,142,189 times
i know it's probably pretty boring and not up your alley, but wedding photography is huge in Southern California. Perhaps you could work under an established photographer to get your portfolio going and then work a "regular" office-type job during the week to get some money. You can spend your day off (probably Sunday since a lot of weddings are Saturday) taking more specific shots that you want to work with (artsy stuff). A lot of people do it the other way. Have an established artsy portfolio and then go into weddings, but I think that it could work the other way. And, if you're good. . . brides are always good for a referral. Just a thought. :-)

Old 07-20-2008, 09:50 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,109,953 times
If you are bound and determine to move to LA, regardless of the advice you get to the contrary, you are demonstrating the attitude you will need to succeed. You have to want it more than anything. But you really have to examine yourself and decide where is your limit line if you have one? Decide what you are and are not willing to do. As disgusting as it is, the photographers who make the most money these days are the stalkerazzi. Are you willing to invade people's privacy and make it difficult to enjoy quiet, family time that we all have when we are not at work? Or are you willing to have scrupples and take a little more time to have the financial level of success that does not require you to live on Top Ramen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles