Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 10:05 PM

26 posts, read 69,346 times

Advertisements

We are going to be selling our house and want to buy a house in LA/Socal. My mom estimates that we will be getting around $100k from the sale that we can put toward our new house. We don't want to get a house beyond our means but are willing to go $50k above what we have. So if we get $100k from the sale of our house we are willing to invest in a place of around $150k at the most. I know LA is expensive and want some help from any of you guys where we can find a house in that price range anywhere in the LA area or surrounding that is in a descent neighborhood. I am just looking for a house to stay even if it is a small 1 or 2 bedroom house. I am open to anything--sales, foreclosures whatever as long as it is in that price range anywhere in the LA metro area.

I was looking are real estate websites and found houses really cheap in Palmdale and Lancaster but read a thread on here that those are bad areas to live in and a lot of bashing altogether about those places.

So basically I am looking at decent neighborhoods. Any advise? Foreclosured homes are also an option to us if there are a lot of them in a particular neighborhood that is worthwhile living. Any help/advise would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 10:11 PM

6 posts, read 34,699 times
i'd also like to know of places as close to LA as possible but as cheap as possible without hitting the slums.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:26 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
$150k for a house near LA? You're kidding right? You might be able to pick up a crackhouse in Barstow for that.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:34 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,141,754 times
Why are you coming to SoCal? You will definitely be in the "slums" with that money, if you can even find that.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:49 PM

Well, I was also looking at foreclosed homes. Will they be within that price range? What about the Pacific Palisades. I saw a mobile home or 2 online for like $180k-$199k and says its near Will Rogers beach. Are those advisable? If the area is good and it's near the beach then I'm willing to go as high as $200k.

And I saw pictures of some of those houses in Palmdale. Some of them looked really nice. I mean they all can't be in a bad neighborhood, right?

Old 07-25-2008, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmajenta View Post
Well, I was also looking at foreclosed homes. Will they be within that price range? What about the Pacific Palisades. I saw a mobile home or 2 online for like $180k-$199k and says its near Will Rogers beach. Are those advisable? If the area is good and it's near the beach then I'm willing to go as high as $200k.

And I saw pictures of some of those houses in Palmdale. Some of them looked really nice. I mean they all can't be in a bad neighborhood, right?
$200k to live in Pacific Palisades? Would you like a Ferrari included too?

And yes, the house in Palmdale really can be (and probably is) in a bad neighborhood.

If you really want to spend up to $200k on housing, you should be looking toward the middle of the country where you can get a decent house for that much.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
$200k to live in Pacific Palisades? Would you like a Ferrari included too?

And yes, the house in Palmdale really can be (and probably is) in a bad neighborhood.

If you really want to spend up to $200k on housing, you should be looking toward the middle of the country where you can get a decent house for that much.
The 2 or 3 houses I saw in Pacific Palisades that was in that price range were mobile homes. I know they won't be huge but what else is the catch besides that.

And with all the foreclosures out there I should be able to snag a home with $150k, in a decent neighborhood right.

What about condos or townhouses--what are my chances?

I have also thought of buying a typically priced house in an OK neighborbood and then leases out the rooms to borders who are willing to rent. I mean this is a practical idea, right to help with the income/mortgage. Anyway I need some ideas and I'd love it if someone can throw out some practical ideas.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:21 AM

If you can find a house for $150k in a decent neighborhood in the LA area, its going to be a foreclosure needing $150k in repairs minimum to make it habitable. Your price range is even cheap for 1 bedroom condos in decent areas. I'd like to see the details on those mobile homes in Pacific Palisades. Its got to be something like you're paying $200k for the coach and have to pay $2000/mo to rent the space or something like that. If it were really that cheap to live on the coast, everyone would be doing it. And do you really want to live in LA badly enough to share your house with strangers?

Old 07-26-2008, 12:59 AM

There are lots of houses in Palmdale in the $150k price range that look really nice. Here are some:

Argghh!! Tried to post links but didn't know you couldn't do it. Anyway some of those homes in the $150k range were really nice. Looked to be in middle class neighborhoods from the pics.

I know pictures can be deceiving but they can't all be in slums!! Can they?? So is there a catch? Will the homes be needing A LOT of repairs?

Advise/input appreciated!!

Old 07-26-2008, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmajenta View Post
There are lots of houses in Palmdale in the $150k price range that look really nice. Here are some:

Argghh!! Tried to post links but didn't know you couldn't do it. Anyway some of those homes in the $150k range were really nice. Looked to be in middle class neighborhoods from the pics.

I know pictures can be deceiving but they can't all be in slums!! Can they?? So is there a catch? Will the homes be needing A LOT of repairs?

Advise/input appreciated!!
Have you ever been to Palmdale? Lets just say that there's a reason houses are cheap out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles