Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 12:34 PM

3 posts, read 6,834 times

Advertisements

Been reading the many threads on relocating to LA and they've all been incredibly helpful. My friend and I will be moving to LA (big surprise). We're 24, both female, and will be working in Beverly Hills and Santa Monica. We can spare up to 2500-2600 a month on rent for a two-bedroom but we have no idea which areas to look at given the very different areas we'll be working in. What do you guys think? help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 01:00 PM

989 posts, read 5,925,035 times
Based on $2500-2600, for rent money you can afford a luxurious apartment in almost any neighborhood. I would recommend these communities along the hills from Beverly Hills to the Ocean...

Beverly Hills: A great, luxurious place to live with vibrant street activity in the "Golden Triangle Area." An excellent place for rentals is south of Wilshire and north of Olympic.

Brentwood: Close to the big city, but with a small town environment. Brentwood is located in a quiet pocket just between Beverly Hills and Santa Monica. San Vicente Ave. has all the local conveniances. Large homes are located north of San Vicente Ave. and apartments are generally south.

Pacific Palisades: Further from the big city, it's a smaller, and friendlier environment. PP is mainly single family homes, but there are a few rentals on Sunset Blvd. It is an incredibly safe area, and very family-friendly. Beaches are only a short walk, or bike ride away!

Santa Monica: The southern nieghbor of The Palisades. Generally much busier and more things to do. There are also a lot more younger people in Santa Monica than all other places listed. (Take note: An excellent neighborhood for renting in your price range is north of Wilshire Blvd., and south of Montana Ave.)

Start your search with Westsiderentals.com or Craigslist.

Old 01-23-2007, 02:11 PM

Thanks so much newportbeachsmostwanted. Your breakdown was incredibly helpful and has made it so much easier for us. Now we know exactly where to look and we're feeling much more positive about the move!

Old 01-23-2007, 04:31 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,467,247 times
Yeah, definently look into Santa Monica, Westwood, Beverly Hills, Malibu, Palisades, and Brentwood. You have some tremendous options for a great place. Go to realtor.com to help you look better!! These cities will definently shorten your commute to Beverly Hills and Santa Monica, big time!!!

Old 01-24-2007, 01:04 PM

Thanks you guys for all the information! Another question and hope its not too much trouble. I have another job offer in downtown LA but would still like to live closer to the west side as my friend would be working in Santa Monica. Will the commute be insane? 45mins is no problem for me as thats my current commute to work. It only takes me 25mins at 2am! What routes can I think from the west side to downtown LA? Sorry for all the inane questions. I've only been to LA once and I like to know what to expect before coming down! Thanks for the all the help already!

Old 01-24-2007, 01:07 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
Yeah, definently look into Santa Monica, Westwood, Beverly Hills, Malibu, Palisades, and Brentwood. You have some tremendous options for a great place. Go to realtor.com to help you look better!! These cities will definently shorten your commute to Beverly Hills and Santa Monica, big time!!!
I'd avoid the Palisades. Extremely limited nightlife options. Malibu's pretty far removed from the action, and commuting on PCH is pretty hellish. Not to mention the risk of natural disasters being quite high.

Santa Monica, Westwood, and Beverly Hills would be the best places of those listed.

Old 01-24-2007, 03:18 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,467,247 times
Majoun, are they planning on extending PCH?! Thanks for the Info!

Old 03-14-2007, 08:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,247 times
Lightbulb Very overlooked....

but great nightlife, people, and atmosphere... Downtown Long Beach... every Friday and Saturday night V20, Mai Tai's, Cohiba, Sevilla... many, many more hotspots and restaurants like the Yard House.

Also great because you can head over the Vincent St. Thomas Bridge and head over to Torrance and then on up to Manhattan and Hermosa Beaches. Seal Beach and Huntington Beach are just a short drive south on the PCH.

For the price you'd pay in those places mentioned above you can get an awesome pad with a view of the Ocean. Another reason I prefer Downtown LB... hop the 110 from Pedro and avoid the 405 all together.... that's reason enough alone!

Old 03-15-2007, 02:28 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,707,934 times
West Hollywood or Brentwood or even Bev Hills if you can afford it. If you are working dowtown, before you rent, make sure you have access to a major highway....because if you aren't somewhat close to the major road, you'll spend a bunch of time just GETTING to the freeway.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:37 PM

644 posts, read 3,320,902 times
Check Beverly Hills or West Hollywood. You can get a nice 2-bedroom for $2600 but spend plenty of time looking! One caution: in Bev Hills, they can raise the rent 10% a year, and many do. Also try Santa Monica. Westwood would be right in the middle.

Artie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles