U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2008, 03:09 PM

12 posts, read 159,205 times

Advertisements

We are looking at listings for houses in the SFV area, and some of them have evaporative cooling/"swamp" cooling. We live in Florida, and we do not have these.

What is the deal with these? I know they are cheaper than a/c but i can't understand moist cooling, wouldn't that lead to mold?

I've noticed a lot of houses with these units, so it makes me think that they are normal for the area, and it's not a big deal.

Please shed some light.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 03:56 PM

11,715 posts, read 37,154,474 times
They work really well in the desert with single digit humidity. I don't think the SFV is quite dry enough for them to be effective except during Santa Ana winds.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:10 PM

688 posts, read 2,355,498 times
These coolers work by blowing dry air over a medium (like a sponge or paper mat) that is soaked in cool water. As the dry air passes it gives some of it's heat to the water and picks up some of the cooler moist air. To work properly you need very dry air and alot of air volume. They can cool reasonably well if air is dry enough but they do make the conditioned air kind of clamy. An evaporative cooler uses less electricity because it is basically a big blower motor and a small pump to circulate the water as opposed to running a condensor on an AC unit. I wouldn't rely on one anywhere in the valley or LA basin, the air is just not dry enough. They also make alot of noise with the huge volume of air blowing around, especially on the older ones.

It is common in the valley to see an old swamp cooler system replaced with a central HVAC system mounted on the roof.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:13 PM

236 posts, read 736,125 times
When there is a good off shore flow, the humidity level can drop low enough for these to be effective. You can google to get info on these. There are actually charts that will show you how effective they are at specific temperatures and humidity levels. Generally said, the hotter and dryer it is, the better they work. These types of coolers are pretty common in desert areas.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:55 PM

26,345 posts, read 85,983,539 times
All of these posts above were good information. The other thing I might add is probably 85% of the time that it is hot enough to want cooling (other than opening the windows) it is just about dry enough for swamp coolers to work. Those swamp coolers were probably installed in 1200 to 1800 sqft homes built in the early 1960s. I wonder if there are any swamp coolers in 2500+ sqft homes. I guess someone would have to decide if it was worth spending several thousand dollars to upgrade to central A/C with 3000-5000 watt energy demands (vs maybe 250 to 500 watts for swamp coolers) for the other 15% of the time.

There are typically one or two monsoonal events in late July/August when it is both hot and a little humid - not like Florida though.

Here's a good, much more detailed thread on swamp coolers from the Denver forum:
Swamp Cooler vs Air Conditioner

Old 07-29-2008, 10:02 AM

5,113 posts, read 18,032,329 times
this website has a table that shows you what type of output you'll get with an evaporative cooler(scroll down).

Evaporative Cooling Humidity Index

where i am located(a few miles from the beach), a hot day is typically 80-95 with humidty from 35-55% or so. so lets take 87F at 50% humidity and the output is 74F. Not as efficient as lower humidity, but it changes it from hot to comfortable, which is really all air conditioning is all about.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:17 AM

1,070 posts, read 3,030,692 times
Is this when you put the hose on your sofa?

Old 07-29-2008, 10:51 AM

5,835 posts, read 4,345,532 times
Swamp coolers suck big time. Grew up with one in my parent's home and all it does is add humidity along with the heat. My parent's replaced it with an A/C right after I moved out, wouldn't you know it

Old 07-29-2008, 11:59 AM

5,031 posts, read 11,634,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Swamp coolers suck big time. Grew up with one in my parent's home and all it does is add humidity along with the heat. My parent's replaced it with an A/C right after I moved out, wouldn't you know it
Agree that swamp coolers are only effective in very dry heat. I also grew up w/ coolers but the Central Valley has very low humidity during the hottest part of the day. However, the San Fernando valley is coastal & much more humid than up in northern California. It can become quite muggy at times in the summer & swamp cooling would just add more moisture into the air

Old 08-01-2008, 02:04 AM

10 posts, read 38,820 times
Air con is much more reliable - even though it can be more expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles