Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 12:54 PM

236 posts, read 789,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
yet people still die from them, just like earthquakes.
Yes, but the point I'm making is that if you know a hurricane is coming several days in advance, you can pack your car and leave (unless you are being stubborn.) You might lose your house, but if you are inland you are not going to lose your life. You can't make the same statement about an earthquake that you get no warning for....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 02:04 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,898,900 times
Deaths from:

Northridge earthquake: 57
Loma Prieta earthquake: 63
1906 SF earthquake: 664

Hurricane Katrina: 1836
Hurricane Ivan: 163

Old 07-31-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
Deaths from:

Northridge earthquake: 57
Loma Prieta earthquake: 63
1906 SF earthquake: 664

Hurricane Katrina: 1836
Hurricane Ivan: 163
You can throw out statistics to support any argument. Unfortunately, many of those hurricane deaths were due to low income residents with no access to a car to leave. (I'm assuming if you are in LA you have transport...) I'm from the South and know people affected by both of those tragedies. The point I'm making is..... if you know a hurricane is coming and you have the resources, you can leave..... Also, we haven't experienced the "Big One" (laugh if you will, but the experts say there is a 99% chance it is coming in the next 30 years), so those comparisons aren't really "comparisons" to begin with.

I don't think there is any intelligent way to dispute that point (unless trying just makes you feel better about where you live...)

Old 07-31-2008, 02:47 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesallimc View Post
You can throw out statistics to support any argument. Unfortunately, many of those hurricane deaths were due to low income residents with no access to a car to leave. I'm assuming if you are in LA you have transport...)( I'm from the South and know people affected by both of those tragedies. The point I'm making is..... if you know a hurricane is coming and you have the resources, you can leave..... Also, we haven't experienced the "Big One" (laugh if you will, but the experts say there is a 99% chance it is coming in the next 30 years), so those comparisons aren't really "comparisons" to begin with.
Not everyone in L.A. has a car.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Not everyone in L.A. has a car.
I was referring to the poster and not the LA population in general.....

The ORIGINAL point I was making is hurricanes come with a warning, earthquakes do not. You can take that warning and act on it. It seems like a pretty simple point to me. Didn't realize it would require this much explanation...

Last edited by lesallimc; 07-31-2008 at 03:22 PM..

Old 07-31-2008, 04:40 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesallimc View Post
I was referring to the poster and not the LA population in general.....

The ORIGINAL point I was making is hurricanes come with a warning, earthquakes do not. You can take that warning and act on it. It seems like a pretty simple point to me. Didn't realize it would require this much explanation...
Yes, hurricanes have a warning, but look how many are still killed from them.
Also, the chance of being killed in an earthquake in California is actally quite small.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Yes, hurricanes have a warning, but look how many are still killed from them.
Also, the chance of being killed in an earthquake in California is actally quite small.

I would like the statistic on how many people who have headed inland after receiving a hurricane warning were killed. Typically difficult to get killed hanging out in a mall four hours inland. How do we know the chance of being killed in an earthquake in California for a magnitude 8.0 quake if one hasn't hit yet in SoCal during the time it has been so populated....

Old 07-31-2008, 05:03 PM

305 posts, read 1,729,334 times
There are still ways of preparing for earthquakes: living in architecturally sound buildings, securing heavy furniture to the floor and walls so it doesn't fall on you (or eliminating it all together), acting responsibly when an earthquake occurs, and so on.

The bottom line is there is a possibility for tragedy wherever you live. No one can live in a vacuum. I'm not going to refuse to visit the top of a skyscraper because a plane might fly into it, or an earthquake might occur while I'm in it. I'm not going to avoid flying because the plane might crash. I'm not going to avoid cars because I might get in an accident. I'm not going to avoid swimming because I might drown. I'm not going to stop eating because I might choke. You learn to live responsibly to decrease your risk, but you're never going to cut the risk to nil. Life requires risk taking. California has a lot of plus sides, for all the risk there is of an earthquake.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleBebe View Post
There are still ways of preparing for earthquakes: living in architecturally sound buildings, securing heavy furniture to the floor and walls so it doesn't fall on you
I completely agree with this statement (although experts agree this won't help much if an 8.0 hits nearby.) My point is, you can do the same thing for hurricanes (board up windows, etc.), but you DON'T have to be there when it occurs because you know it is coming (thereby protecting yourself.) You don't get that warning with an earthquake.

I'm not telling everyone to leave California, I'm just making a well justified point. Confused as to why it is so hard to understand (or maybe as I said before it brings other a sense of comfort to dispute it....)

Old 07-31-2008, 05:29 PM

305 posts, read 1,729,334 times
My point is that we're choosing not to live in fear. Yes, earthquakes can strike any moment. So can things falling out of the sky, car crashes, random shootings, heart attacks, strokes, sinkholes... so on and so forth. We live despite the chances of those things happening. Perhaps for some people, the benefits of living in California outweigh the risk of earthquakes. That's certainly the case for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles