Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 11:53 AM

71 posts, read 483,093 times

Advertisements

So, my friend ask me how is los angeles. The reason he ask is because he is deciding on orange county and los angeles. He like most people who only knows los angeles from movies, music, and media assumes los angeles is the breeding capital of gangs and violents. i agree with him to a certain extent. I mean los angeles was the place where crips and blood was born and continues to be the breeding ground for the gang.

Looking at the average crime in the U.S from city data, Los angeles have a higher crime than the average about 383(about 60 higher than the average of 323): //www.city-data.com/city/Los-An...alifornia.html.

The number of officers per 1,000 residents is lower than the average.

Now let look at orange county. It has 183 which is less than the 323 average of the U.S. //www.city-data.com/city/Orange-California.html

Knowing this, i told him, los angeles is a rough city, but if you keeps your wits about you and don't get invovled you are pretty much safe.

I want to hear advice from people who lives for extended time in both orange county and los angeles(more than 2 years at least).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 11:59 AM

95 posts, read 431,162 times
I've lived in both. Generally OC clearly safer than L.A. on the face of it, but that said, also more boring and I never had any problems in L.A. except for a few odd/uncomfortable run-ins with a crazy homeless couple that were squatting in my apartment building somewhere and having my car broken into a few times and my front bumper stolen (all in Westwood). Didn't have a single problem living in Studio City and in fact often didn't lock our doors.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:14 PM

672 posts, read 2,174,512 times
I grew up in Orange County, and I've lived in South LA for the past three years.

In 30 years in OC, I was never a victim of a crime and I didn't know anyone who was. It is very, very safe.

In 3 years in LA, somebody once stole my unlocked bike, and somebody entered my (again unlocked) house and stole my Playstation.

The big difference for me is that I've started actually locking my door and my bike.

The sad fact is that when it comes to violent crimes, a victim is usually victimized by people that he or she knows for reasons that are understood. The secret is to make the right friends.

Last edited by Mike121; 07-31-2008 at 12:55 PM..

Old 07-31-2008, 03:59 PM

188 posts, read 920,045 times
You realize you're comparing the City of Orange (pop 80k) with the City of Los Angeles (pop 4 Million) with those city data numbers, right? Very different places, one being the second largest city in the nation vs a much smaller, quiet suburb. LA has a vast diversity of neighborhoods within city limits and in the county, ranging from some of America's most exclusive to some of the most destitute. Compare it with East St Louis, IL or Gary, IN if you thinks its the "capital crime city of USA".

Old 07-31-2008, 04:14 PM

190 posts, read 443,310 times
LA's crime rate has been dropping like a rock for some time now. I'd like to see it get even safer, but even so, check out the statistics from 2007 (city-data's page only goes through 2006). I believe someone posted the other day that LA had dropped below 300 to like 280-290, which, to put it in perspective, is where NYC was just a few years ago. New York is considered to be the safest large city in the country. Also, the number of homicides was the lowest it's been since 1970. Even one is too much but this shows the progress that is being made. LA's future is looking pretty bright, all things considered.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:17 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,751,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike121 View Post
I grew up in Orange County, and I've lived in South LA for the past three years.

In 30 years in OC, I was never a victim of a crime and I didn't know anyone who was. It is very, very safe.

In 3 years in LA, somebody once stole my unlocked bike, and somebody entered my (again unlocked) house and stole my Playstation.

The big difference for me is that I've started actually locking my door and my bike.

The sad fact is that when it comes to violent crimes, a victim is usually victimized by people that he or she knows for reasons that are understood. The secret is to make the right friends.

I always trip out when I hear people say theyre house got broken into when they left the door unlocked. Is there like people walking door to door checking for unlocked doors?

Old 07-31-2008, 07:20 PM

396 posts, read 1,723,566 times
detroit is actually the city with the most crime. la isnt even in the top 25.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:55 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,573,112 times
Well I don't live in LA but Baltimore Detroit DC are far worse than LA.Even St.Louis.I was in STL for a week and saw just about everything.I've been to LA about 250 times and only seen either people tagging or going through lights that just turned red. LA's crime rates as a whole are "manageable".

Old 07-31-2008, 09:12 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAGuy View Post

I want to hear advice from people who lives for extended time in both orange county and los angeles(more than 2 years at least).
To begin with, all comparisons should be between county vs. county or city vs. city.

Comparing Orange County with the City of Los Angeles is absurd, misleading, and a pointless exercise.

I am always amused when people say that LA is bad but do not clarify whether they are speaking of the city, county, or the metro area. Not doing so is simply sloppy and leads to all sorts of misconceptions, misunderstandings, and all sorts of avoidable arguments between the pro-LA and anti-LA people.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:50 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,872,333 times
Yup your right,but unfortunately even if L.A became the safest city in the country,their will always be those that will claim that it's dangerous or they'll have something else negative to complain about

L.A is improving in my opinion,and it will continue to get better

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereistic01 View Post
detroit is actually the city with the most crime. la isnt even in the top 25.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles