Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 11:46 AM

215 posts, read 771,837 times

Advertisements

I lived in NYC for almost my entire life. As the years went by I found it harder and harder to find work as a house painter because of all the illegal immigrants who were being hired. I simply couldn't compete when having to charge the rates I needed to make to survive when the competition was against four guys who shared the same room and split the rent four ways on a one bedroom apartment.

I'm wondering if areas such as Southern Oaks and the surrounding areas would provide work for an American citizen in the painting trade or if I would have little chance of joining a crew because the market is flooded with illegal immigrants who are underpaid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 12:35 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,205,374 times
you are going to run into the same problems here.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:47 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,463,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
you are going to run into the same problems here.
Yeah, pretty much. Southern California and pretty much the entire southwest is not the place to move to if competing with illegals for labor/trades/contractor work is something you'd like to avoid.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:26 PM

355 posts, read 1,479,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANAPA View Post
I lived in NYC for almost my entire life. As the years went by I found it harder and harder to find work as a house painter because of all the illegal immigrants who were being hired. I simply couldn't compete when having to charge the rates I needed to make to survive when the competition was against four guys who shared the same room and split the rent four ways on a one bedroom apartment.

I'm wondering if areas such as Southern Oaks and the surrounding areas would provide work for an American citizen in the painting trade or if I would have little chance of joining a crew because the market is flooded with illegal immigrants who are underpaid.
Woah woah woah, you're a house painter who has lost his livelihood due to illegal immigrants, and you're wondering if anywhere in Southern California, ground zero for the illegal alien infestation, would be good for the business?

Uhhh, let me check the magic 8 ball...it says "you'd have better luck selling ice to Eskimoes" than getting work as a house painter here.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:34 PM

Yeah,.. I expected these responses, but figured I'd give the question a try just incase there was a bit of hope.

Thanks for honest replies.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:53 PM

355 posts, read 1,479,954 times
Quote:
Yeah,.. I expected these responses, but figured I'd give the question a try just incase there was a bit of hope.

Thanks for honest replies.
It's hard man, but I'm sure you don't want to come out to find that you will probably be even more undercut salary-wise than you would be where you are. Not to mention, you probably can't even get on a crew because they stick to their own only.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:46 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,584,849 times
You may want to try somewhere in the midwest. There are some illegals, but not nearly as many as elsewhere. I have several friends in the construction biz, and they all make a killing. (One friend made over $180K last year running a handyman business)

Old 08-01-2008, 10:22 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,771,607 times
as someone with experience with that here, a very good painter with good references WILL get work. ive known and hired a few.

the other thing is that there are plenty of paint crews that do legit work with legit citizens. most of these do best in commercial painting since its in the businesses best interest to hire legal contractors

Old 08-01-2008, 02:30 PM

52,291 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:

Yeah the exact same problems here. Regarding the illegal aliens doing jobs Americans "wont" do is BS. You drive by any construction site and there is an incredible amount of guys who are Latino. I'm not saying that they are all illegal, but it sure has changed alot in the last 10-15 years.

Old 08-02-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
You may want to try somewhere in the midwest. There are some illegals, but not nearly as many as elsewhere. I have several friends in the construction biz, and they all make a killing. (One friend made over $180K last year running a handyman business)
I meant to write, Sherman Oaks above instead of Southern Oaks.

I am also looking into the Denver area. When I visited I spoke to some people who told me commercial painting is booming in the area and there's a lot of wear and tear on houses. I've also found a lot of ads for painters in the area and you don't see that when the market is flooded with illegals.

BUT I know people in Sherman Okas and no one in Denver so I'm torn. I have to make up my mind in the next few weeks.

Your friend made over $180K last year running a handyman business??? How???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
as someone with experience with that here, a very good painter with good references WILL get work. ive known and hired a few.

the other thing is that there are plenty of paint crews that do legit work with legit citizens. most of these do best in commercial painting since its in the businesses best interest to hire legal contractors

Are you a contractor or someone who hired painters to work on his property (house/business, etc)?

How do I go about finding the legit crews in the Sherman Okas area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles