Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 11:49 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times

Advertisements

Los Angeles is responsible for so much of the innovation of 20th century America, but has kind of wandered into a malaise in recent decades. Fast food, auto-oriented suburbanization, celebrity culture, and the entertainment industry all came out of Los Angeles incubators, along with a lot of other 20th century innovation in business and technology.

Can Los Angeles remain a leader in this regard, or is it now too late? Has Los Angeles peaked in influence and power? Has the center of American innovation shifted to back to the East Coast, Silicon Valley, or elsewhere? Or is it now decentralized in multiple nodes across the nation? Does the rotting core of Los Angeles represent the rotting core of America to some degree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 02:04 AM

190 posts, read 443,504 times
It's funny how you questioned whether American innovation has "decentralized in multiple nodes" (which I think it has), because that is what defines LA. It's a huge, decentralized city, with many unique districts of equivalent importance. It's a microcosm of America, and in fact, many of the growth-leading cities are trying to emulate it (Phoenix, Vegas, Atlanta). Do not confuse a slowing national economy with Los Angeles losing its mojo! Things will recover and while there are many wannabe-LAs popping up across the nation, the original will continue to innovate. LA and NYC come to mind as two hugely significant cities which are constantly evolving and will always remain driving forces in our culture.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:04 AM

570 posts, read 1,583,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Los Angeles is responsible for so much of the innovation of 20th century America, but has kind of wandered into a malaise in recent decades. Fast food, auto-oriented suburbanization, celebrity culture, and the entertainment industry all came out of Los Angeles incubators, along with a lot of other 20th century innovation in business and technology.

Can Los Angeles remain a leader in this regard, or is it now too late? Has Los Angeles peaked in influence and power? Has the center of American innovation shifted to back to the East Coast, Silicon Valley, or elsewhere? Or is it now decentralized in multiple nodes across the nation? Does the rotting core of Los Angeles represent the rotting core of America to some degree?
I would hope all of America doesn't follow Los Angeles into the cesspool.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:39 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,115,593 times
Los Angeles has not been the lead of the US, but the State of California itself. To focus on LA itself, it has been searching for redefinition since most of the entertainment industry has abandoned it. Until the mid 1990's every record label and most production companies were housed in Hollywood then there was a mass exodus. Today, most of the entertainment industry surrounds Los Angeles. A lot the support services for the entertainment industry are in LA, but most of those have moved to the fringe cities as well. This exodus has left LA without definition and allowed the East Coast developers to come in and change very face of LA and the essence of what made it great. I find it interesting that the exodus happened around the time Mayor Bradley could no longer run the city and greedy developer Richard Riordan stepped in. Coincedence? Hmmmm.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:35 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
although Santa Monica, Culver City, Burbank, Glendale, and Universal City are not technically in the city of LA, I certainly wouldn't call them fringe cities. In all cases, these seperate municipalities border the actual city of LA and benefit citizens of the city of LA. There is also still a very strong presence of the entertainment industry in the actual city of LA, from the Paramount and Fox Studios to the major music publishers located on the Westside.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:40 AM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
ok, you had me till the "rotting core of LA" part. nice passive attack. slightly veiled, but real slimy.

where the hell is LA rotting?

what core do you speak of?

anyhow, yes LA will ocntinue to Thrive...
well LA and its cast of supporting actors AKA culver city, santa monica, beverly hills, burbank, etc etc.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:55 AM

47 posts, read 170,841 times
It seems to me that it is all in your perception. I've lived in the OC my whole life, but went to college in LA and spend a lot of my free time on the Westside and Pasadena.

My thoughts are that LA is in fact re-inventing itself now (though I would argue that LA is more than just the City of LA, but the entire LA basin including parts of Orange, Riverside and Ventura). Its having to diversify and not just be known for the glitz and the glamor, and I think your going to see that; too many people like living in LA and Im not sure I see that changing any time soon.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:00 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Los Angeles has not been the lead of the US, but the State of California itself. To focus on LA itself, it has been searching for redefinition since most of the entertainment industry has abandoned it. Until the mid 1990's every record label and most production companies were housed in Hollywood then there was a mass exodus. Today, most of the entertainment industry surrounds Los Angeles. A lot the support services for the entertainment industry are in LA, but most of those have moved to the fringe cities as well. This exodus has left LA without definition and allowed the East Coast developers to come in and change very face of LA and the essence of what made it great. I find it interesting that the exodus happened around the time Mayor Bradley could no longer run the city and greedy developer Richard Riordan stepped in. Coincedence? Hmmmm.
What mass exodus? Do you mean to studios in Burbank\ San Fernando valley?[that has more to do with land space\ availability]. I consider the overall LA metro region as part of the city. No other city in the world comes close to the TV\ film production of Los Angeles.

There's no stopping growth but I see where Santa Monica is limiting more businesses [esp if it means more autos]. To me, the most pressing issue for LA is simple transportation. Because of terrain\mountains & spread-out cities the reality is that light rail is decades behind the current needs & may never be practical overall.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:05 PM

734 posts, read 2,617,660 times
I'm sure the people there are pompous enough to think that....but, uh...NO.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:52 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,115,593 times
Motown records was located at Sunset and Vine now: Burbank. RCA records Sunset and Vine now: Burbank. Arista Records Wilshire and San Vincente; now Burbank. EMI Records Sunset and Doheny now Burbank. I could list the production companies and publishing companies and agencies and recording studios that followed but that would be a very long post. Space makes it prohibitive for 20th Century and Paramount Studios to move (the only movie studios still in LA proper) There are still some TV studios but for the most part a good part of the Entertainment industry moved out of LA proper. I called SanMo, CC and Burbank fringe cities not to diminish them but describe their locale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles