Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 09:59 AM

92 posts, read 257,052 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I have a lot of time to kill (4 1/2 months) before I move to Los Angeles and so I've been regularly researching areas I might like to live and apartments I might like to check out when I get there. Burbank/NH is where I'm thinking I'm probably going to end up.
It seems as though tons of the apartments I find online (Craigslist, apartments.com, 4rentinLA) are on Lankershim Boulevard! And so I was wondering if you guys in the know would say "Ewww, no way, avoid it" or something more positive...either way, is anyone familiar with this particular boulevard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 10:15 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,301,760 times
Sorry but I'd have to say "Ewwww, no way. Of course that is my opinion but that area seems really dirty to me. Lots of gangs live there. Surely would not go out at night. But again, this is just my opinion. I'm sure the price is right there!!

Old 08-10-2008, 10:17 AM

Oh no really? Darn it. I thought the Valley was gang free! Thanks for being honest though!

Old 08-10-2008, 10:27 AM

Sorry, hate to burst anyones bubble. I lived somewhat close to Lankershim Blvd (within 10 miles) for 23 years. It went from bad to worse in the last 15 years. I would not recommend that area to anyone. Gangs in the Valley---oh dear, there is a great amount of gangs in the valley. Still, there are some nicer areas that are pretty safe---just not on Lankershim Blvd! Of course you are going pay more to live in the nicer, safer areas.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:27 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,545,925 times
Lankershim is a street to stay away from, unfortunately. I looked at an apartment there once, and there were tons of annoying children running around and screaming. Lankershim runs through North Hollywood, which isn't a great area anyway, for the most part.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:34 AM

I think you'd feel much better in Burbank since you mentioned either N. Hollywood or Burbank. It's like night and day between the two towns. Burbank is safer and much nicer.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:56 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,947,317 times
Almost all of Lankershim is a do-not-consider for apartment living location. However, There are some brand new apartments in the NoHo Arts district that are not bad at all. They are located across the street from the Metro station and just one or two blocks north of Magnolia. This is a very artsy type area that has a lot of younger entertainment wannabees moving in from all over the country.

Just a block west of Lankershim in this same area in North Hollywood there are tons of apartments. I think Deirestic (sp) who's a member here lives there.

If you are stuck on Lankershim, you should also consider the southern portion of North Hollywood just south of Riverside Drive. This is close to Toluca Lake and Studio City.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:03 AM

59 posts, read 195,299 times
Lankershim is not an area you want to be in. Unfortunately with L.A. in order to find a good apartment you have to do it in person. The internet is great for ideas, but until you see the neighborhood yourself (both day and night...some neighborhoods in L.A. have a Jekyl and Hyde thing going from day to night) I would NOT commit to anything. Anything in Burbank and you are relatively in good hands, but NOHO can get tricky.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:17 AM

396 posts, read 1,723,650 times
i live right off lankershim, between lankershim and vineland, just south of where they cross with camarillo at that confusing intersection, and just north of riverside. where i live is great, quiet, very safe, no kids.

if you want to live on lankershim, stay south of burbank blvd. north of burbank blvd is a kinda shady and looks a little like mexico.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:21 PM

Thanks, guys, I really appreciate the input. Sometimes it seems as though there are NO safe areas in LA that are affordable - and by affordable, I don't mean cheap necessarily, just somewhere I can live on an actors income. Guess I'll just have to judge areas by common sense and how they are at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles