Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2007, 12:38 AM

989 posts, read 5,924,655 times

Advertisements

Aqua-"Barbie Girl" a staple of the 1990's. A song of wit, and absolute truth. Images of picture perfect palm trees, backyard swimming pools... I cannot even begin describing all the similarities of the music video with L.A. and the SoCal high life!

Aren't Barbie and Ken supposed to be from Malibu? ...lol

http://youtube.com/watch?v=txul5b31RGE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2007, 02:11 AM

652 posts, read 2,804,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post
Aren't Barbie and Ken supposed to be from Malibu? ...lol
That's the old, "racist" Barbie and Ken. They're now a Latino couple, Barbaria and...Ken, and their kids of course.

Old 01-28-2007, 08:33 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,100,711 times
LOL newportbeachsmostwanted, That brings back memories (good ones).
Oh how I miss Southern California. I need a fix. I miss everthing in California (even the plastic). Some may think I am plastic to a point so I will be coming home.

Old 01-28-2007, 09:15 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,085 times
I exalted you for that pertinent video (I love Youtube.) However, Ms. Aqua herself is a little too rebelious to be the perfect O.C. Barbie: she's brunette with huge, visible tattoos. And according to Mattel, Barbie dumped Ken. (someone ought to post whether or not Mattel tends to hire: it's a large company in a beachside community, negating a bad commute if one lived nearby.)

Roma, that video brought up an interesting observation to me once that ought to stoke your memories. An artist friend characterized different parts of L.A. by colors, the impressions you get when driving. The beach cities are aqua blue and white, the Valley ( in the homeowner sections that haven't been displaced by high density ) is green and light brown (the trees planted 80 years ago- the Valley originally was a tree-less grass savannah, and the smog) and the rest of L.A. that wasn't billionaire was grey and light brown.

Old 01-28-2007, 09:35 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,100,711 times
There is a Malibu Barbie, but the video reminds me more of Miami. With all the bright colors and such. I have never been there but when I think of Miami or Florida the first thing that comes to my mind is "pink flamingos" and alot of bright colors. Cute video.

Old 01-28-2007, 01:10 PM

989 posts, read 5,924,655 times
Northern Californians must have created the word [plastic]. Go back up north and hide in the trees! You hippies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T View Post
That's the old, "racist" Barbie and Ken. They're now a Latino couple, Barbaria and...Ken, and their kids of course.
...And Mattel should supplement the backdrop; Home Depot.

Old 01-28-2007, 07:05 PM

652 posts, read 2,804,053 times
Viva la Raza T-shirts sold separately...

Old 02-13-2007, 01:14 AM

101 posts, read 304,679 times
I remember when I was a kid growing up in a small town in Canada and my friends and I had Malibu Barbie. All those glossy, perfect images of California and Los Angeles are totally shattered now that I live here. It's such a glamorous facade.

Old 02-13-2007, 11:26 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
Oh, my gosh. I have Attitude Barbie. Well, actually, her name had something to do with California but I don't remember what the name was. Just that it had "California" in it. My DH to me as sort of a joke because I was whining about how I never had a Barbie as a little girl. So she was my Christmas present (the doll).

She has a tan, super-white teeth and a do rag. I sh(oo)t you not. She seriously has a mesh do-rag on her head. And shorts and a bathing suit top--because I mean that's what EVERYBODY in SoCal looks like, right? Unbelievably tall, thin, with a great tan, a huge smile, wandering around all day long in a bathing suit since all we do here is frolic and swim...

Oh I just died when I opened this present. I cherish Attitude Barbie.

Old 02-14-2007, 05:11 PM

800 posts, read 4,297,754 times
I once had a bumper sticker that said, 'I want to be like Barbie, that b---- has everything.' LOL--was too chicken to put it on my car though It would've been keyed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles