Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2008, 01:08 AM

5 posts, read 23,124 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, me and my husband are preparing to start a family and we wanted to get your thoughts about the best community in LA to move to. Some conditions...

Me and my husband are a gay couple so the community where we move needs to be totally okay with this. Also, we're a Jewish family and we don't want our kids to be one of the only Jewish kids in their school.

We have a strong preference for a great public school instead of sending our kids to private because we'd like our kids to live closer to their friends.

We want our community to be a great, fun place for our kids to grow up in, with fun stuff for them to do as little kids, preteens, and as teenagers.

The areas we've already been thinking of include Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, and Manhattan, Redondo, and Hermosa Beaches. We know BH and MB have great school systems, but we're not as confident of the quality of the schools in Santa Monica and the other two beach cities, so we'd like some input on that.

Also, we'd rather live on the Westside rather than South Bay because its more familiar to us and closer to our usual hang-outs, but we really like the beach-town vibe in those South Bay areas. The thing is, we're not sure if areas like Manhattan Beach would take as much of an accepting attitude toward a family like ours as would an area like Beverly Hills or Santa Monica, so we need some input on the gay-friendliness of South Bay.

By the way, we are aware that all these areas are stratospherically expensive to live in, but we are prepared to make sacrifices to find the best place for our kids to grow up in.

Thanks!! And add any other thoughts you guys have too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 02:00 AM

2,589 posts, read 8,612,135 times
what size trailer would you like?

Old 08-19-2008, 02:16 AM

66 posts, read 148,857 times
Private schools are going to be a must if you're in LAUSD. It's just a fact of LA Life, like earthquakes and grafitti and stray shopping carts.

Why not WeHo, though? It's as gay friendly as they come, beautiful, and well put together. There are very nice 1920-30s homes in the areas between Melrose and Santa Monica blvd and between La Brea and Fairfax and Fairfax and Crescent Heights Blvd.

Then again, these homes are 800k and up. And if you live in WeHo you're pretty much going to be stuck in WeHo as there's no freeway access anywhere nearby. But still, WeHo's great.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:40 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,460,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl2023 View Post
The areas we've already been thinking of include Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, and Manhattan, Redondo, and Hermosa Beaches.
Where will you be working? (Two different work locations or one?)
Rent or buy? Budget or price range?
Kids ages? When?

Old 08-19-2008, 09:09 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,262,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl2023 View Post
Hey guys, me and my husband are preparing to start a family and we wanted to get your thoughts about the best community in LA to move to. Some conditions...

Me and my husband are a gay couple so the community where we move needs to be totally okay with this. Also, we're a Jewish family and we don't want our kids to be one of the only Jewish kids in their school.

We have a strong preference for a great public school instead of sending our kids to private because we'd like our kids to live closer to their friends.

We want our community to be a great, fun place for our kids to grow up in, with fun stuff for them to do as little kids, preteens, and as teenagers.

The areas we've already been thinking of include Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, and Manhattan, Redondo, and Hermosa Beaches. We know BH and MB have great school systems, but we're not as confident of the quality of the schools in Santa Monica and the other two beach cities, so we'd like some input on that.

Also, we'd rather live on the Westside rather than South Bay because its more familiar to us and closer to our usual hang-outs, but we really like the beach-town vibe in those South Bay areas. The thing is, we're not sure if areas like Manhattan Beach would take as much of an accepting attitude toward a family like ours as would an area like Beverly Hills or Santa Monica, so we need some input on the gay-friendliness of South Bay.

By the way, we are aware that all these areas are stratospherically expensive to live in, but we are prepared to make sacrifices to find the best place for our kids to grow up in.

Thanks!! And add any other thoughts you guys have too.
???? Leviticus ????

Old 08-19-2008, 09:41 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,034,377 times
Here are a couple of sites for schools:

California School Performance Maps

GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Community for Parents

There are some GREAT schools within LAUSD (10 out of 10 performance ratings); however, they are scattered, and do tend to be magnet schools or else over on the Westside. Since you don't have the children yet, you have time to peruse the information carefully and make your plans deliberately.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:48 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,072,532 times
I'm thinking that Beverly Hills adjacent would be good or the Melrose area. Those areas have a high population Jewish people and because they are in the higher tax bracket areas the schools will be better than average LAUSD schools. I would think that Santa Monica should be okay as well. I've seen a number of Jewish schools there so I'm thinking that there may be a concentration of Jewish people there and the Westside is known for more liberal thinking. Good Luck.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:53 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,262,267 times
I guessing not many Jews awake yet!

Old 08-19-2008, 10:37 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,694,074 times
Have you thought of Long Beach yet? Gay friendly and there are some jews floating around. There are a few jewish tabernacles in the area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles