Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 08:35 PM

5 posts, read 14,102 times

Advertisements

hi everyone.

I'm from Australia and am getting a 1 year work visa for the US. I am looking at moving to LA for the year, but I need a lot of help.

Firstly, could anyone give me some assistance in looking for jobs. Any idea where I could look to obtain employment for a year? Would employers employ someone on the basis of just 1 year?

I am also looking at getting sponsored in an effort to become a US citizen, any ideas how I could go about doing this?

And finally, I would like to live close to the beach, but dont have a huge budget for rent. Any ideas where I could go?

Many thanks - LA looks awesome, cant wait to get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 08:39 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,112,180 times
Looks can be deceiving.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:02 PM

488 posts, read 1,512,988 times
Default My huge but...

But in this case LA really is "awesome."

Old 08-21-2008, 10:04 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,190,547 times
lots of aussies and kiwis on the westside of LA. with a limited budget, your best bets are playa del rey, mar vista, and palms. as for work, you will be competing for jobs with americans, but your accent may give you a slight advantage. americans love accents!

Old 08-21-2008, 10:45 PM

thanks a lot!
thats a great help. yea, i'll probably try to steer clear of where all the aussie and kiwis are, i see them enough at home.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:19 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,522,795 times
How were you able to get a work visa without a job already lined up for you? A work visa is only obtained if you already have nailed down an employer who petitioned you to have the work visa in the first place. Something doesn't add up here.

Anyway, the quickest way for you to get here with a job that pays well is to get on the health care bandwagon, possibly in nursing. There will be tons of employers knocking at your doorstep. In many cases I'm aware of, you can even bypass the work visa and get a green card directly if you are a nurse. That puts you on the quick path to US citizenship. As a nurse in California, you will be generously compensated. $100K a year or more is very attainable.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:41 AM

its a new working holiday visa for australians and new zealands to the usa. and its reciprocal. basically if you are at university, or within a year of graduating, you can get this 1 year visa, and you dont have to have a job lined up before you get there.

um nursing you reakon? i never really fancied myself as being a nurse, but i suppose its an option. $100K for being a nurse? wow - pays a lot more than at home.

thanks for your advice.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:22 PM

619 posts, read 2,167,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
lots of aussies and kiwis on the westside of LA. with a limited budget, your best bets are playa del rey, mar vista, and palms. as for work, you will be competing for jobs with americans, but your accent may give you a slight advantage. americans love accents!
where did you hear that an accent will land you a job?

Old 08-22-2008, 08:51 PM

619 posts, read 2,167,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacokle View Post
hi everyone.

I'm from Australia and am getting a 1 year work visa for the US. I am looking at moving to LA for the year, but I need a lot of help.

Firstly, could anyone give me some assistance in looking for jobs. Any idea where I could look to obtain employment for a year? Would employers employ someone on the basis of just 1 year?

I am also looking at getting sponsored in an effort to become a US citizen, any ideas how I could go about doing this?

And finally, I would like to live close to the beach, but dont have a huge budget for rent. Any ideas where I could go?

Many thanks - LA looks awesome, cant wait to get there.
it`s the TV shows and movies that distort reality about so called "glamouros" LA life style!
Facts:
1. Not enough jobs here for locals.
2. Who would want to hire and train someone with a limited work permit ?
3. If your`re talking about living close to the beach but on "the budget" you`re watching to much TV
4. We have way to many people wanting to stay here and become citizens (i.e. illegal mexicans)...there is NO difference between an australian, mexican, iranian, or any other nationality when it comes down to immigration laws...in US all nationalities are being treated equally, no cutting in front just because you might be white and from australia.
There are illegals living here after their turist visa expires (usually 3 months) from all over the world..when they get caught they get up to 20 years interdiction to even re-enter US as a turist.
I have a Canadian friend who was recently deported to his native Canada after overstaying his visa...he now cannot re-enter US for 15 years!

Your only chance to get a Green Card (permanent residency) and than citizenship is to marry a US citizen.
No Green Card, no social security card, no soc. sec. card means no CA drivers license, means NO work permit, means no credit history, means no renting an apartment means NOT BEING ABLE TO FUNCTION!

Australia is a great place...stay there and make the best of it!
oh..I didnt mention that in case you get sick while here and you have no insurance hospitals here will only give you first aid...you would die here and they would not grant you an MRI...WELCOME TO AMERICA!

Old 08-23-2008, 02:17 AM

how hospitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles