Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 06:03 PM

629 posts, read 901,336 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't even bother getting out of bed for a lousy 200k in LA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 11:46 AM

257 posts, read 1,444,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welder View Post
I wouldn't even bother getting out of bed for a lousy 200k in LA!
Maybe my husband is in the wrong business, welding is where it's at I guess

Old 09-15-2008, 05:03 PM

571 posts, read 1,932,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undulator View Post
$175K may sound like a lot of money to people from other states, and when they're offered a salary like this they immediately start thinking of luxury living among the stars in Beverly Hills. Truth is $175K won't get you anywhere close to that. In reality you're probably looking at a townhouse or small SFH in the outskirts/valley, or a tiny west side condo.

LOL what?? I know people literally working at McDonalds and own their home. Los Angeles is weird. You have to change your priorities. 175,000 a year is a HUGE amount of money and to say otherwise is simply ridiculous. I make only $42,000 and I live very comfortably. My car is paid off and I rent a nice apartment. I have nice things like computers, cell phones, etc. I don't live with a roomate I live with my husband who couldn't work for several years while he was in the immigration process. I got by on alot less than that. If you are going to rent a house you might as well just buy one. Hardly anyone out here makes that much but look there are houses everywhere! What ridiculous advice to rent or that you can only afford a cheap condo. If you are extremely picky with neighborhoods (only Beverly Hills) or insist on owning 3 or 4 $100,000 cars then of course you can not afford to buy a home but if you are ready to live a very comfortable lower-upper class existence - get a nice BMW or something on Craigslist - buy a nice size home in one of the middle/upper class areas and enjoy your life! No need to throw away money on rent.

This really amazes me. I have noticed something since I've lived here - Most of the houses in the Los Angeles area are owned by minorities like my husband's friends and family who make significantly less - while caucasians tend to stay in condos or very fancy $2,000+ apartments. My theory is that minorities make their housing a priority and don't shop at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods or go to Starbucks 3 times a day. They have different priorities and thus can afford a home while the business executive THINKS he can only afford a tiny condo because he can't let go of his $100,000 car and fancy dinners out. Priorities people !! The other reason for this is that people like this only want to live in certain neighborhoods like all my co-workers who think I live "far" because I live in Glendale! (hello - 5 miles from downtown!)

Old 09-15-2008, 06:06 PM

51 posts, read 271,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasksgirl View Post
This really amazes me. I have noticed something since I've lived here - Most of the houses in the Los Angeles area are owned by minorities like my husband's friends and family who make significantly less - while caucasians tend to stay in condos or very fancy $2,000+ apartments. My theory is that minorities make their housing a priority and don't shop at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods or go to Starbucks 3 times a day. They have different priorities and thus can afford a home while the business executive THINKS he can only afford a tiny condo because he can't let go of his $100,000 car and fancy dinners out. Priorities people !! The other reason for this is that people like this only want to live in certain neighborhoods like all my co-workers who think I live "far" because I live in Glendale! (hello - 5 miles from downtown!)
I agree with you, my parents were well educated immigrants who didn't have well paying jobs and bought a house 4 years after getting here...and they had the 2 of us to worry about.

Of course they didn't take vacations, or go to the movies...or eat out. Every time I think of the sacrifices they made it makes me feel silly that I'm nervous to do the same on a better salary... with 175K salary you can buy a house with a pool... not just rent

Old 09-15-2008, 06:24 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasksgirl View Post
I think a lot of immigrants are also more willing to live 4 generations to a house and rent out the dining room and garage to strangers. I want a place my wife and I can afford on our own, without renting parts of it out, and without living with family until we're 60.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:22 PM

I don't want to buy because I don't plan on staying for more than 3 yrs....we have moved every 2 or 3 yrs for my husbands work....now that the housing market tanked i wouldn't want to be tied down to a house that won't sell when we want to move back or somewhere else. We have bought and sold 4 houses in 7 yrs, but this time I am not going to bother buying right away.

I see in some other threads that they only get 20% income tax deductions......with 3 kids.....if my husband is the only one working and we have 2 kids is 40% more like it for deductions?
i checked on paycheckcity.com and that is what they came up with.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:34 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I think a lot of immigrants are also more willing to live 4 generations to a house and rent out the dining room and garage to strangers. I want a place my wife and I can afford on our own, without renting parts of it out, and without living with family until we're 60.
Yeah, well, if you made $175k you could do that all pretty easily, eh?

Old 09-15-2008, 10:08 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
Yeah, well, if you made $175k you could do that all pretty easily, eh?
Well, yeah, I think I could do pretty well on $175k. Its those of us that make much closer to average or even 1.5-2x average that are in a tough spot when it comes to affording housing in a safe area.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:18 AM

I was looking on LAlife.com and Manhattan beach seems safe and has good school ratings.....does anyone know from personal experience anything about the elementary schools? I have a child in first grade and one that is in junior kindergarten...i don't think there are public schools with JK in California are there?
Does anyone know of any Catholic schools for them in MB? I think we may be paying for private school, since they are used to Catholic already. (it's free in Ontario Canada, I will miss that for sure!)

Old 09-27-2008, 11:01 AM

how much do utilities average in agoura hills? there will be 2 adults and 2 kiddos.
cable, internet, gas, electricity, water ? TIA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles