Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 03:54 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,042,929 times

Advertisements

Friggin' lazya$$ boneheads that do this. Just for the record, using a car horn for anything other than a traffic emergency is against the law according to the vehicle code. Not sure if that tidbit helps with leverage against your neighbor's bonehead friend. Idiot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 04:12 AM

214 posts, read 558,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I hate to be the one to give you the bad news, but here are all your options:

1.) Appeal to the neighbor whose friend/colleague/whatever is honking the horn, explain to them that it wakes you up, and ask them (nicely) if they would get their friend to stop it.

2.) Live with it.

3.) Move.

Irrespective of noise ordinances etc. the police are too busy (A) fighting serious crime Either way the police are not going to be able to help you.

The sad fact is that the government is ineffective in settling minor disputes such as described in the OP. The sooner you realize this the sooner you can face the real alternatives.

I agree.

The guy honked his horn 1 time and your all bent out of shape? I can see if its an everyday occurrence then I can see some action being taken but 1 time of horn honking in a huge city like LA shouldnt ruffle your feathers or surprise you.

You choose to live in LA Cali then you will get the city life that comes along with LA Cali. You want a more tranquil setting I say move to Montana or Wyoming.

I have lived in plenty of areas where Vans for seniors, or school buses for kids would pull up at the house and honk the horn EVERY morning at 6-7 am for the person to come outside. I just got used to it but also looked around where I live and thought well I dont see many trees or woods around me I live in a heavy populated area and people have lives to live and everyone has different schedules.

There is absolutely nothing that can be done as far as legal action.

Not to be rude but the best advice I can give you is deal with it or move to a place where you have more land then people around you.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:54 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,389,646 times
Yeah, yeah, blah, blah, city life blah, blah, blah!! Sorry mate! City or no city, this behavior is totally over the top rude and lazy, and should be dealt with severely! I say lean out the window with a very large slingshot and peg the driver with 3/8" shot ammo. Ok, thats only what I would LOVE TO DO. But seriously, contacting the landlord of the person that's being picked up is the best idea I've heard yet. Geez! Why won't they let us shoot these people!!??

Old 11-04-2015, 07:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,288 times
I live on a residentional street and this is ongoing for me as well at 4:15 am till about 4:40am. After that the guy just stays parked outside till about 5:30 am until my neighbor comes out. By then the damage is done.... Im awake. I work 50 hours a week abd this is affecting the little sleep that i get. Can i go down to the police department with this information? Can someone please give me aome information...... Heres my email
[email]Gloriamarie49@yahoo.com[/email]

Thanks in advance

Old 11-04-2015, 07:55 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,296,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloriamarie View Post
I live on a residential street and this is ongoing for me as well at 4:15 am till about 4:40am. After that the guy just stays parked outside till about 5:30 am until my neighbor comes out. By then the damage is done.... Im awake. I work 50 hours a week abd this is affecting the little sleep that i get. Can i go down to the police department with this information? Can someone please give me aome information...... Here's my email
Gloriamarie49@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance
Alert the authorities that this idiot is being a nuisance, disrupting the use and enjoyment of your home. This is all you have to tell them. They will handle it.

I can understand how annoying this would be.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:51 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,081,200 times
Why the desire to jump straight to calling the police? Just go chat with the resident and have him/her share the request with the driver. Leave a note if need be. No need to create animosity with your neighbor over something so trivial.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:25 PM

329 posts, read 623,468 times
Throw some eggs

Old 11-04-2015, 02:54 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,001,182 times
Don't talk to the neighbor. He'll assume it was you when the other neighbor calls the police.

Old 11-04-2015, 03:50 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,081,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
Don't talk to the neighbor. He'll assume it was you when the other neighbor calls the police.
What the hell man. People seem to wonder where the sense of community has gone....well THIS is why it's gone. You don't call the police over a trivial inconvenience that can be sorted with 30 second conversation. Be an adult. If you have that conversation and the neighbor still insists on being unreasonable THEN take it a step further and ring the police. The very thought of such requests clogging the LAPD queue and keeping officers from addressing real issues makes me livid.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:54 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,514,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAGuy View Post
thx. if this happens again, i'll just call the cops and see what happen. i will also get my camera and see if this jerk doesn't stop. I went outside and he saw me and stopped. Though, if it happens one more time at an ungoldy hours on a RESIDENTAL STREET(away from main street with heavy traffic--can't even hear the car from where i live), i will get my camcorder and record this. thx guys. I can't believe such people exist on this earth--seriously at 5 am!!! C'mon.
Wrong approach, with a noise ordinance in regards to car horns, loud engines, etc. The police have to witness it, by the time you call the car will be gone.

Talk to them, you have seen them so you have an idea of how old they are. They most likely have cell phones, ask them to text to the person.

If that doesn't work than go the police route, but you're going to be told they have to hear it. Which is going to be next to impossible unless a patrol car is in your area and they're laying on the horn in order for them to hear it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles