Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2009, 02:23 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,223,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
10 years? Most of the valley will look like Pacoima.
DITTO! This is why we are moving across the country. I was born and raised here and it is nothing like it used to be. It makes me so sad, but it's not a place to raise kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 05:24 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,195,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
DITTO! This is why we are moving across the country. I was born and raised here and it is nothing like it used to be. It makes me so sad, but it's not a place to raise kids.
Sad indeed.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:10 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
People think that when we don't like Hispanics, we're racist. That's not how it works. I like them as individuals, but not as a whole. I'm only 17, but I can already see how LA has changed in my short time of noticing such things. I can only imagine the nostalgia native Angelenos have for a time before everything north of Ventura, east of the 405, and south of the 10 was bad. I envy people who were able to grow up in the valley before it became crap. It seems like it would have been a really nice place to grow up and be a kid.

California is majority Hispanic now, which I see as completely unacceptable. I'm fine with some immigrants here and there, but when people come over a border illegally and get the same government benefits I do (sometimes better) for free and completely run the economy and society into the ground, there's room for some hate there. It just happens to be that they're mainly Mexicans. If the Chinese, Japanese, Germans, Greeks, or another nationality did the same thing, we would hate them too.

As for this question, everything north of the 101 will be a crime-infested hell worse than South Central that is 90%+ Hispanic, except for a few pockets in Northridge, Chatsworth, and Porter Ranch that are still majority white. Between the 101 and Ventura Blvd. will be kind of like a buffer zone and the only place where middle-class people will afford to live. Everything south of the blvd will increase drastically in property value as fewer and fewer properties in the valley are desirable. Woodland Hills and West Hills, along with Calabasas and Aguroa Hills, can be grouped with the south of the blvd communities. Hidden Hills already has some of the highest real estate in the country and it will only continue to rise.

However, I do see a gentrification of several areas in the basin of LA in the not-so-distant future. There will of course be bad neighborhoods in most of South Central. Young families priced out of areas such as Hancock Park and other Mid-Wilshire neighborhoods will continue to gentrify areas further and further south, with Koreatown becoming the top destination for uban living. That won't be ten years, but hopefully someday before say 2030.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:33 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
so naive young one. you don't think that people were upset when the chinese, japanese, germans, greeks, and other nationalities were immigrating in large numbers 50+ years ago? sure they were, but guess what, they have assimilated into american society and we are all the better for it as a whole. eventually, the latin population will assimilate as well, it just takes a generation or two for them to lose their attachments to the land of their parents/grandparents/whatever, just like it was for the european immigrants of the 19th and early 20th century. Read up on the Irish and Italian immigrants and the nasty things that were said about them. I guess Americans always needs a scapegoat to blame its problems on, we can't just look in the mirror and realize that we've brought everything on ourselves.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:56 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
I do see what you're saying and your predictions may prove valid someday in the future, but illegals definitely have something to do with our problems. If we had less illegal people looking for the same work as legal citizens and immigrants, unemployment would not be as high. Also, the majority of our jails are filled with Hispanics. The most prominent gangs are the Hispanic gangs. Since I'm only in high school, I'm looking for simple jobs such as waiting or even bussing tables. Many places that pay $15 per hour will not hire me or my friends (we have experience), but they take Hispanics who can barely speak English. You really think they're getting that salary or are the Hispanics getting minimum wage and the employers saving money? I'm unemployed because Hispanics work for any wage possible and since I value my time and $8 an hour is not worth it when I still have school, they are given jobs paying minimum wage. I know everyone will say just take $8 an hour, but earning such little money with how much it takes out of my day to do my school work and essays and projects and apply for schools, it is honestly not worth it.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:31 AM

106 posts, read 390,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I do see what you're saying and your predictions may prove valid someday in the future, but illegals definitely have something to do with our problems. If we had less illegal people looking for the same work as legal citizens and immigrants, unemployment would not be as high. Also, the majority of our jails are filled with Hispanics. The most prominent gangs are the Hispanic gangs. Since I'm only in high school, I'm looking for simple jobs such as waiting or even bussing tables. Many places that pay $15 per hour will not hire me or my friends (we have experience), but they take Hispanics who can barely speak English. You really think they're getting that salary or are the Hispanics getting minimum wage and the employers saving money? I'm unemployed because Hispanics work for any wage possible and since I value my time and $8 an hour is not worth it when I still have school, they are given jobs paying minimum wage. I know everyone will say just take $8 an hour, but earning such little money with how much it takes out of my day to do my school work and essays and projects and apply for schools, it is honestly not worth it.
Guess what kid? You're 17 years old, no one is going to pay you 15 bucks an hour to do a job anyone can do. I made $7.50 at my first job in high-school and that was a internship/programming job. You gotta start somewhere.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:51 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,195,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
People think that when we don't like Hispanics, we're racist. That's not how it works. I like them as individuals, but not as a whole. I'm only 17, but I can already see how LA has changed in my short time of noticing such things. I can only imagine the nostalgia native Angelenos have for a time before everything north of Ventura, east of the 405, and south of the 10 was bad. I envy people who were able to grow up in the valley before it became crap. It seems like it would have been a really nice place to grow up and be a kid.

California is majority Hispanic now, which I see as completely unacceptable. I'm fine with some immigrants here and there, but when people come over a border illegally and get the same government benefits I do (sometimes better) for free and completely run the economy and society into the ground, there's room for some hate there. It just happens to be that they're mainly Mexicans. If the Chinese, Japanese, Germans, Greeks, or another nationality did the same thing, we would hate them too.

As for this question, everything north of the 101 will be a crime-infested hell worse than South Central that is 90%+ Hispanic, except for a few pockets in Northridge, Chatsworth, and Porter Ranch that are still majority white. Between the 101 and Ventura Blvd. will be kind of like a buffer zone and the only place where middle-class people will afford to live. Everything south of the blvd will increase drastically in property value as fewer and fewer properties in the valley are desirable. Woodland Hills and West Hills, along with Calabasas and Aguroa Hills, can be grouped with the south of the blvd communities. Hidden Hills already has some of the highest real estate in the country and it will only continue to rise.

However, I do see a gentrification of several areas in the basin of LA in the not-so-distant future. There will of course be bad neighborhoods in most of South Central. Young families priced out of areas such as Hancock Park and other Mid-Wilshire neighborhoods will continue to gentrify areas further and further south, with Koreatown becoming the top destination for uban living. That won't be ten years, but hopefully someday before say 2030.
I know what you mean. The valley in which I grew up in during the 70s and 80s was like a paradise for the most part.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:12 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
I know what you mean. The valley in which I grew up in during the 70s and 80s was like a paradise for the most part.
I don't know about this. I lived in the Valley from the mid-70s to mid-80s and couldn't get out of there fast enough. It was never any sort of paradise for me. Now that I'm away I can accept the place a lot better. I have many friends there, know my way around quite well and can negotiate the place for my needs. But stay? No way!

What I disliked about the Valley then is what I dislike about it now. The place is in so many ways punishing with heat, aggressive car traffic, ugly architecture, car-culture mentality.... I could go on. Scapegoating immigrants for these characteristics is a distraction.

That said, there are things about the Valley I find nice: Hiking in Chatsworth Park and Lake Chatsworth area. Lake Balboa, Franlkin Canyon. Beautiful winter days after the rain when the air is clear and the mountain views cut like a razor.

IMO, the best thing the Valley could do for itself is regroup around multiple centers. Create spaces where you can walk -- and I mean really walk -- on wide sidewalks, among interesting city scapes, free from automobile harassment, or get to express transit and trains easily. Do these things and the Valley will start to reach its potential as a nice place to be.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 09-30-2009 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 09-30-2009, 02:10 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,474,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
So where are those who are fed up with CA planning on moving to give their kids the perfect environment?

Old 09-30-2009, 05:48 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,991,989 times
Yes, I think not just San Fernando Valley, but many suburbs of LA have gone downhill dramatically in the past couple of decades.

Yes, high immigration and more specifically illegal immigration is a problem. Not necessarily just immigration of Mexicans, but high immigration in general is correlated with poverty and crime. These people come from different places, with different cultures and ways of doing things and they do need time to assimilate. Poverty and lack of education increases chances for crime.

Mexicans just need time to assimilate. But, I think there will always be a sizable constant flow of illegal immigrants from Mexico. The border is just right there and even though there are checkpoints, a wall, some will still get in some how. What I predict will end up happening is 2 classes of Mexicans, the new arrivals and the Americanized, American-born wealthy ones who perhaps may even began to look down on the new arrivals even though its their own people.

Putting up a wall to stop illegal immigration and enlisting more border patrol agents are what we need to do, but they don't solve the problem permanently.

What needs to happen is that Mexico becomes a better place. Then we wouldn't have masses of them desperately trying to get away from Mexico into the US. I don't know when or if that will ever happen...

I left LA, and am not coming back to live but I do visit often to visit family and I've got to have my good Asian food! I am not going to raise my kids there and put them through what I went through: mostly poor schools, gangs, crime, materialism and fakeness. Actually, if things work out, we'll be moving to Vancouver, BC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles