Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 12:31 PM

6 posts, read 14,845 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I am a 25 F, who has spent the last 2 years trying to figure out how to get an internship or assistant role with a talent agency in Los Angeles. I wonder if anyone can help me? I have looked into every possible type of VISA and immigration lawyers in the uK. It seems as though th option for me is to go to LA like I did in 06 on the visa waiver programme and try and land some interviews there. Are there any talen agencies who are willing to sponsor Brits?

Also any advice on where is safe and mid-price level to live? I spent my three months on hollywood blvd in a relatively safe hostel/apartment complex but want to live in a nicer, residential area. What parts of West hollywood is good for example, any other suggstions?

Anyone from London or the rest of UK trying to do the same? If you want you can send me a message. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 04:57 PM

66 posts, read 149,313 times
I can't imagine a talent agent sponsoring a Brit, seeing as how competitive those jobs are to begin with among native Los Angelenos.

If you somehow managed it, and landed a paid assistant job at one of the big alphabet agencies (UTA, ICM, etc.) you could easily afford a nice apartment with a roommate in West Hollywood or Beverly Hills or Westwood. Unless of course, you're also paying $500 months to lease a BMW or Cadilliac or something.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:00 PM

208 posts, read 979,805 times
you might contact agencies and volunteer to work for minimum wage if they will sponsor you. if you're willing to to long hours for practically no money, they might hire you. native residents here don't get paid much for those jobs starting out...

Old 08-26-2008, 06:27 PM

30 posts, read 142,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenthetalenagen08 View Post

Also any advice on where is safe and mid-price level to live? I spent my three months on hollywood blvd in a relatively safe hostel/apartment complex but want to live in a nicer, residential area. What parts of West hollywood is good for example, any other suggstions?
I live in West Hollywood and I will be honest with you, it's expensive. It's a great area and I love it but so pricey, but then it seems as if all the rentals in L.A. are becoming outrageous. Depending on the area and what size place you're looking for, you can expect to spend anywhere from $1200 plus for a studio (my sister lives in one on Hollywood Blvd and pays a little more than that) to $2500 plus for a 2 bedroom (which is what I have in WeHo). The apartment I used to live in I found on Craigslist, a great little one bedroom in an old deco building for $1395 - that was a deal. Great area, a total gem, but it took a long time to find it.

Keep looking on Craigslist and if you have someone in the area that can check out places in person, even better.

Good luck!

Old 08-26-2008, 08:17 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,115,593 times
Most agencies (the big ones anyway) require that you have a college degree. Number two, unless you know someone, they won't sponsor you from England, you'd have to make your way here. Next, as previously stated, they have people begging for those jobs. Internships are not paid, btw.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:37 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,309,935 times
Quote:
Hi there,

I am a 25 F, who has spent the last 2 years trying to figure out how to get an internship or assistant role with a talent agency in Los Angeles. I wonder if anyone can help me? I have looked into every possible type of VISA and immigration lawyers in the uK. It seems as though th option for me is to go to LA like I did in 06 on the visa waiver programme and try and land some interviews there. Are there any talen agencies who are willing to sponsor Brits?

Anyone from London or the rest of UK trying to do the same? If you want you can send me a message. Thanks!
20 even 15 years ago I'd say wing it and chances are you would get somewhere. It's changed so much though and you are right - you might want to go back out on the visa waiver programme and try your luck that way...

I don't know where in the UK you are or what you do, ICM has an office in Central London, maybe if you go in through their London office and get a year or two under your belt you could finally make your way to LA.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:05 AM

Thanks for ll your help there! Much apprciated, I am aware of many of the topics you brought up...I currently work for a celebrity publicist who is in touch with plenty of Agents but I havent had the guts to ask her... and I do have a Bachelors degree. So maybe the idea is to work for free for a while then I may be offered something...Times have changed, but many people still make it to LA so I will too...

Any more Practical advice is most welcome, thank you once again guys

Old 08-27-2008, 05:14 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,272,213 times
Quote:
Thanks for ll your help there! Much apprciated, I am aware of many of the topics you brought up...I currently work for a celebrity publicist who is in touch with plenty of Agents but I havent had the guts to ask her... and I do have a Bachelors degree. So maybe the idea is to work for free for a while then I may be offered something...Times have changed, but many people still make it to LA so I will too...

Any more Practical advice is most welcome, thank you once again guys
Loose your "fear" you will have to do it some time or another.
Your boss has much more ability to put you into LA than you will ever have yourself.You never know she may be looking to get her foot in the LA door.
Wait your opportunity and carefully bring up the subject.If you are good at your job she will not want to loose you and at the very least you show ambition.
Half of the Brit "Show Biz" scene is over here so she is bound to have loads of "in`s".
Don`t waste too much time on this board apart from "domestic details" you will get no real help here.
Get Brainwashing your boss!!
Good Luck.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:22 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,309,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by impala666 View Post
Loose your "fear" you will have to do it some time or another.
Your boss has much more ability to put you into LA than you will ever have yourself.You never know she may be looking to get her foot in the LA door.
Wait your opportunity and carefully bring up the subject.If you are good at your job she will not want to loose you and at the very least you show ambition.
Half of the Brit "Show Biz" scene is over here so she is bound to have loads of "in`s".
Don`t waste too much time on this board apart from "domestic details" you will get no real help here.
Get Brainwashing your boss!!
Good Luck.
Yup.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:22 AM

Thanks very much impala666, that was sound advice. I will wait and bide my time and then ask as she also looks after well known brit actors who live in LA too.. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles