Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 07:11 PM

7 posts, read 29,517 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

As the title says, my family and I are seriously considering moring to West LA, and in particular the Culver City area due to personal reasons. Both my wife and I are professionals and getting a job will not be a problem.

Our biggest issue is finding a place to lease for about 3-4 years. We all hear stories here about how bad some areas of LA are due to gangs, crime, etc. We basically want a safe, family friendly suburb.

Also, are there any decent websites that are known to you that would list either furnished or unfurnished houses in West LA and any idea on what the average lease amount is per month?

Thanking you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 07:17 PM

anyone out there with some help?

Old 09-03-2008, 01:08 AM

c'mon, there's got to be someone out there with some help.....

Old 09-03-2008, 05:40 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,858,102 times
I don't know as much about Los Angeles as the residents do, but I can tell you that virtually all areas of Los Angeles have some gang problems, but it is only really bad in certain areas like South Los Angeles (previously known as South Central), East Los Angeles, parts of Downtown, and the areas surrounding Downtown like Pico-Union.

On the upside is that LA is much safer than used to be and most of the attention brought to LA's problems are blown out of proportion by the entertainment industry because it based out of Los Angeles as those people are more familiar with the problems of LA than they would in much worse areas like Detriot or St. Louis.

Much of the San Fernando Valley is pretty middle class and family friendly. The only thing I would say is I would probably put my kids in a private school in the LA area. Most of the school districts in the Greater Los Angeles area aren't exactly known for their high academic quality and let's not even mentioned the Los Angeles Unified School District.

I know that wasn't really helpful, but I hoped that it helped you a bit.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:09 PM

485 posts, read 1,700,068 times
How do you know that "getting a job won't be a problem?" I'm sorry, but that comment caught me a little off guard. There are a lot highly educated, professional people living in L.A., and the entire country for that matter, that can't find a decent paying job. Unless you are willing to take anything, I don't think it will be that easy...

Old 09-03-2008, 07:15 PM

I'm a Senior Project Manager/Civil Engineer and have already been approached by at least 6-8 consultancies, and my wife is in the Education sector, and she too has been in touch with various schools. So there's no issue in terms of employment.

As I said previously, our biggest issue will be finding a family friendly neighbourhood to live in. Any good websites that lists long term leases around Culver City/West LA?

Old 09-03-2008, 07:27 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,039,849 times
craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums
http://westsiderentals.com
iTechMLS

here are some sites on the topic of schools:
Great Schools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community
California School Performance Maps

Culver City and many other areas of the westside are very clean, safe and family-friendly. You will want to live near your work, so usually people find the work first, followed by the housing.

I am not quite sure why no one answered you right away, other than the American Labor Day holiday which was this past weekend.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums
Los Angeles Apartments, Orange County Apartments, and San Diego Apartments
iTechMLS

here are some sites on the topic of schools:
Great Schools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community
California School Performance Maps

Culver City and many other areas of the westside are very clean, safe and family-friendly. You will want to live near your work, so usually people find the work first, followed by the housing.

I am not quite sure why no one answered you right away, other than the American Labor Day holiday which was this past weekend.
thanks for the info timelesschild...time to start looking....

Old 09-09-2008, 03:52 PM

2 posts, read 6,703 times
Moving to LA from Melbourne,
Good luck with your move. I must say it's a bold decision and you should be ready for a big shock. I live in one of LA's suburb and have been around here for 10yrs and also have been to Melbourne for a vacation and abs loved it there. Life here is kind of different and you have to be very careful when you pick a neighbouthood to live. I assume that you will be working in Culver city(if you don't have deal with kids in school), my suggestion is to probably live here or Santa Monica which is kind of expensive and there will be a crazy commute.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:37 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,083,979 times
I always champion Culver City as a nice, safe area. It's very difficult to find a long term lease because landlords like to reserve the right to raise the rent. For a long-term lease your best bet would be a lease with option to buy. The gang problems in LA aren't really in Culver City. fyi, Culver City is a separate municipality from the city of Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles