Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 06:59 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times

Advertisements

Dutchie - a lot of people don't like L.A......don't take it so personally. I think it is great that you like L.A. - think of it this way, the more that leave, the better off for you and people like you (the ones that love it here)....personally, the dirtiest air in the nation doesn't appeal to me....the crowds, high cost of living, lack of green space, crime - these are the reasons my husband and I are leaving - there is a better life for us away from Los Angeles and we can hardly wait to leave. We all have to find the place that suits us best and for many of us, Los Angeles does not fit the bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2007, 02:55 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Dutchie - perhaps you don't see L.A. the same as we do because you have not lived for any long length of time...that makes a difference in your perception. It seems that you are comparing L.A. to lots of bad places and L.A. come out better in your estimation....see, that just isn't something that is appealing to me - choose the best of the worst. There are plenty of places other than Los Angeles with culture, diversity, good restaurants, clean air, natural beauty, low traffic, low crime, much lower cost of living and nice people.

If you have a chance to travel throughout the United States, you will find that Los Angeles is a poor comparison to many other places. Southern California has great weather, beautiful (but crowded) beaches and lots of choices in shopping, culture, entertainment, restaurants, etc. If having lots of choices is what appeals to you and you can look beyond all the negative things, then good for you. But before you judge those of us who don't like L.A. and can't wait to leave, live here for 20-25 years and while doing so give yourself a little education on the alternative great places there are to live across the U.S. I feel sorry for you in that you seem to have only lived in really bad places and by comparison L.A. is not as bad....not a real great basis for choice in my view.

Good post and good point. I would listen to those who reside in LA long term. Spend a few years in LA and if you still like the location, great for you. Many people no longer want to deal with the crime, pollution and expensive houses so they relocate.

Old 02-04-2007, 12:02 PM

96 posts, read 751,188 times
Dutchie, I have lived in Southern California (30 miles from LA) my whole life. I have gone through many different stages of emotion and reaction regarding this sunshine state. Over the last few years, I took on a very resentful, irritated attitude toward the problems facing Southern California, deciding to move out of state as soon as possible. The things that upset me most were the air pollution, the illegal aliens, population congestion, and housing prices. I completely stopped looking at any of the good things about California, only focusing on the negative.

Once I started looking into other places to live in the US, I found that EVERY place has its ups and downs, its good and bad. When I would find an "ideal" place to live in another state (via the internet), I would then go to this site and read threads about it and find that there were just as many complaints about it as were good comments; just as with California.

Then I started to realize how many trade-offs there would be to moving out of state, such as dealing with a much more intense climate, tornadoes, humidity, and bugs I didn't even want to think about. It was only then I realized that even though California may have a lot of issues, it also has a lot to offer. Any how, I think we're staying; at least for the time being. And even though I'm sure there are nicer places to live in the world, I agree that there are worse places I could be. Thanks for your post.

Old 02-04-2007, 05:18 PM

31 posts, read 135,353 times
finally somebody who gets the point I am trying to make
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles