Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2008, 03:46 PM

3 posts, read 6,024 times

Advertisements

I am starting a job in a couple weeks located in the Ocean Park neighborhood of Santa Monica, just North of 10th Street on Ocean Park Blvd. After reading through posts and visiting the area, I am leaning toward living around the Main Street if I can afford it or in downtown Santa Monica. I love walkable communities and those seem like a good ones for a 27 year old single professional. My budget is up to $2000 per month for a 1 bedroom or studio or am willing to share a bigger place with people. I'm finding some potential options on CraigsList.

However, I am also thinking of other areas and was wondering about commute times during rush hour. I would have a fairly standard 9-6 job. What would you estimate the commute to be from these spots?

Pacific Palisades
Marina Del Rey
Manhattan Beach (El Porto neighborhood)
Manhattan Beach (near the pier)
Topanga Beach

If you haven't figured it out, I want to live within at least 10 blocks from the beach and have a commute under 30 minutes. Thanks for your help! I love this forum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 10:09 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
I live very close close to Main St and the area where you will be working. It is expensive here, but you should be able to find something for 2 grand. It is a great neighborhood for a single person, or anyone for that matter. Since you'll be working in the area, I would not commute from very far away. Traffic in and out of Santa Monica can be some of the worst in all of LA, and that is saying something. Commuting from the Marina wouldn't be too bad, but any farther south is going to be a rough commute. The Palisades isn't too far away either, but there really isn't much going on up there.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:13 PM

225 posts, read 1,090,591 times
I agree. I doubt you could make it to work within half an hour starting from anywhere south of LAX, though I admit I haven't tried recently. I don't know how the commute is on the PCH these days but I guess it isn't much fun either. I don't like Palisades, which is smug and middle-aged, or Topanga / eastern end of Malibu, which has been ruined by hideous houses. Marina del Rey is the best of these options.

But is it the best option? How about Venice, for example? Cheaper than Santa Monica (admittedly, not much cheaper) and stuffed with singles. Or Ocean Park itself. $2000 is a bit of a tight budget but you should be able to manage, and you will save on gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles