Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 01:52 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,337,824 times

Advertisements

On any given night you'll find live music in many spots. I love cafe culture. Coffee houses in my part of town are open until 2am. Quite a few bookstores are open until midnight. I love walking on the beach at night. Live Theatre is always an option. I love to drive down to the Queen Mary and eat or just stroll around on the deck. Old Pasadena provides many, many dining options as well as shopping and again, more coffee ~ You can catch bad poetry readings in a couple locations there too. I also love art galleries and you can often find gallery openings during the week. I love to go to the Griffith Park Observatory but know that you have to get up there before dark...then you can stay later. I love movies in old movie palaces like Graumann's Chinese and the Vista Theater. I used to do the club thing but I haven't in a long time. I love to go people watch or watch free concerts at Citywalk. From where I live, I can take the Red Line there. I love to sit in the courtyard of Pasadena City Hall and have some reflection time...and takeout from King Taco. I still haven't gone to Lucky Strike at Hollywood and Highland (bowling alley with a dress code). There's a lot more but I don't want to make this an encyclopedia. I'll end with this: I love to park next to the north runway at L.A.X. and watch the big ones land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 07:29 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,399 times
There's a place called 'The Terraces' in Elysian Park. You get to it from North Broadway, just before you go over the bridge into Lincoln Heights. It overlooks Casanova Street. Great place for picnics, or downing a double-dip from Philippe. I used to bring my Sunday paper there and spend some quiet time. I should do that again soon. Great posts.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:21 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
LOL!!! Back when I used to live in Redondo, the thing to do late at night was wade into the ocean with a friend, then switch bathing suits underwater.
Since it was dark it was strictly skinny dipping. Ocean temps are warmest by late evening but the danger is considerable when you can't see the waves or each other [also the fear of a shark seemed especially on our minds]. Like I wrote already I do not recommend it to the faint of heart but for those who like risks it is very invigorating!

Also a drive up the Angeles Crest Highway with plenty of places to pull over off the road for fantastic views of the city. We would dance to the music from the car radio & howl like the coyotes!

Old 09-19-2008, 01:31 AM

361 posts, read 837,386 times
L.A has so much to do at night, i'm so jalous :d
Where the best mountain view and is it open at night for cars ?

Old 09-19-2008, 02:43 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,418,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmanu View Post
L.A has so much to do at night, i'm so jalous :d
Where the best mountain view and is it open at night for cars ?

All the stops on Mulholland are really good.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:47 AM

488 posts, read 1,513,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
On any given night you'll find live music in many spots. I love cafe culture. Coffee houses in my part of town are open until 2am. Quite a few bookstores are open until midnight. I love walking on the beach at night. Live Theatre is always an option. I love to drive down to the Queen Mary and eat or just stroll around on the deck. Old Pasadena provides many, many dining options as well as shopping and again, more coffee ~ You can catch bad poetry readings in a couple locations there too. I also love art galleries and you can often find gallery openings during the week. I love to go to the Griffith Park Observatory but know that you have to get up there before dark...then you can stay later. I love movies in old movie palaces like Graumann's Chinese and the Vista Theater. I used to do the club thing but I haven't in a long time. I love to go people watch or watch free concerts at Citywalk. From where I live, I can take the Red Line there. I love to sit in the courtyard of Pasadena City Hall and have some reflection time...and takeout from King Taco. I still haven't gone to Lucky Strike at Hollywood and Highland (bowling alley with a dress code). There's a lot more but I don't want to make this an encyclopedia. I'll end with this: I love to park next to the north runway at L.A.X. and watch the big ones land.

Sold me.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:50 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,399 times
When I lived in Long Beach, I went night swimming a couple of times. The water was pretty warm- i attributed it to the oil islands somehow, but have no proof. It was really surreal. I loved it.

Old 09-20-2008, 11:06 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,969 times
LOL.

Another funny thing to do. I use to take the Hollywood Bowl shuttle (they have different lots around LA), from the 10 freeway, then north on la brea, left on santa monica blvd, and then left, I think highland, past the CNN building in Hollywood. And then to the Bowl.

And then coming back (around 11, 11:30), you'd see some "interesting characters" in Hollywood (prositutes?, maybe people just out for a long time on the street corner), haha. And a lot of club goers. A very interesting scene you wouldn't normally see. Unless you're out in hollywood a lot.

-Pinks hot dogs is a famous institution. Only in LA would you line up at 11 pm for a hot dog!

-The grove is awesome at night. Especially their parking structure. You get to see a lot of LA that you normally won't see. There's so much new development. Looks fantastic at night. I could spend a long time on the top of their roof. You're next to the CBS Studios, then you can see hollywood, and east to downtown la. I was there 2 weeks ago, just gorgeous views.

-Hollywood Bowl is always great, esp in the summer. Tickets under $20 in the back. $5 to take the shuttle. Parking there is notoriously bad, a lot of people take the bus.

Even just people watching at grove, citywalk, promenade. And lots of live music, books stores, poetry readings, book signings, etc.

Too many other things to mention...

Old 09-21-2008, 04:33 AM

488 posts, read 1,513,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdahammer View Post
When I lived in Long Beach, I went night swimming a couple of times. The water was pretty warm- i attributed it to the oil islands somehow, but have no proof. It was really surreal. I loved it.

YouTube - R.E.M. - Nightswimming

Old 09-21-2008, 05:18 AM

886 posts, read 5,715,596 times
Try not to get shot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles