U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 07:42 AM

118 posts, read 448,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Compton area is very volatile. You could go there, walk around during the day and be fine OR you could go there, get out of your car, walk around and then a gang does a drive by at the same time and busts a cap in your head. 50/50 chance that you will get shot
Why do we allow this type of environment to exist here in the USA?

Thousands of Americans have been killed in the Mid East in order to bring stabality/WMD/Genocide Oil or whatever excuse the politicians come up with form week to week.
We need to clean up our one streets before we try to clean Iraq, Korea or wherever.

The white people are afraid that a race war will begin.
That's the only reason OJ got away with murder - they know that the blacks are volatile and violent that they are just looking for an excuse to riot.
Maybe with the next riot, the whites will fight back.
Rate this post positively

Old 01-06-2008, 10:29 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,175,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickyard boy View Post
I know that this really doesn't have anything to do with the intended topic,
but to the dude talking about wilmington, you need to stop lying about your city.
You know damn well it is not worse than any of the other cities you mentioned, especially philly, baltimore, camden or compton.
Stop scaring the tourists
I grew up in the projects in Wilmington in the early 1960's. Went to Banning high school. I haven't been back in years, but it must have really changed
if it is now a "tourist destination"!

Old 01-06-2008, 10:36 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,175,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanInSF View Post
where it is commonplace to inbreed, sodomize animals, kill for sport, and rape livestock.....
Great! Now even police dogs are looking over their shoulder nervous!

Old 01-06-2008, 06:22 PM

3 posts, read 26,039 times
for a small city you are right troy ny is tough... south troy that is but the powers to be make it out like nothing is happening they want the artist crowd to take over and it seems the city is being taking over by inplants

Old 01-06-2008, 08:44 PM

7,305 posts, read 26,653,169 times
Wow, that sounds like a rough place. What are the purpose of gangs anyway? When did they really get started to where they were bad? In the 80s or even sooner?

I remember back in 1987, my aunt (who was 18 @ the time) was going to visit my family in Richmond. She went by herself. She was supposed to be going a western suburb (Midlothian), but somehow she took the wrong freeway exit and ended up in one of the worst part of downtown Richmond, or a bad suburb... I cannot recall. She called my uncle from her huge car phone (loved those 80s car phones) and he told her to put up her windows, lock the doors and not to move that he was on his way. He had told her that there had just been a triple murder very close to where she was just hours before. She called my grandmother and she was terrified and on edge until she found out my aunt was back in Midlothian.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:05 AM

307 posts, read 1,361,674 times
From reading three pages of this thread. "Compton" seems like a terrorist zone. I have witnessed crime with my eyes. But it sounds horrible for some of the things that people say here.

Half the people there are that stupid to just shoot a person for asking questions or wearing a wrong color? Sounds like a bunch of ingrates and animals to me.

But whatever. In any large city walking during the night is not a good idea. At all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Utica, NY is horrible as well.
Actually New York City has less crime then Los Angeles.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:09 PM

8,256 posts, read 16,298,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliy Plashik View Post
Actually New York City has less crime then Los Angeles.
Who said anything about NYC? Utica is a city in Upstate New York.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:10 AM

Thanks for posting those photos! I think its neat for people to post photos of the areas that people do not want to venture into. We have a few "bad" areas here too, but our city only has a population of about 50,000 - but we are in a metro area, with a total population of about 450,000 - which consists of 3 larger cities of about 50K-60K each and smaller surrounding suburbs. I guess the most dangerous area here would be nothing compared to some really big cities, but on the north side of downtown here, where the projects are, it can get rough, as well as downtown @ night, when alot of vagabonds come out, etc. and hang down the alleys... I used to go through old downtown @ night, but it got bad for awhile, so I had started going home on East Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, rather than Central MLK JR BLVD, which is in the old downtown areas... we have actually had three murders in the metro area within 3 days. I will post photos soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soseisthehood View Post
YEAH, COMPTON IS NICE COMPARED TO WILMINGTON, DELAWARE or The EastCoast period (Wilmington, DE Philadelphia, PA Baltimore MD New York City, NY Trenton, NJ Newark, NJ)
but i stay not too far from compton now!

Old 02-24-2008, 02:46 PM

1 posts, read 5,977 times
Default Fairy Tale Land

I am completly disgusted and offended by some of the ignorence posted in this forum. I just found out about this site yesterday and after reading 10 full pages of ignorence I decided to sign up and post on the topic at hand. Are some of you serious about your descriptions of this city? You speak as though is Bagdad. I am a 20 year old male African-American who has lived in many cities within the LA county, poor and middleclass. I lived in Compton and a portion of South Central L.A. that was relatively close to Compton for a total of 8 years. I was fortunate to have a mother who kept me and my two younger brothers sheltered, however I doubt that we would have gotten into much trouble being that we were young kids who only played in the yard with neighbors. I've attended schools in Compton were I had good and bad experiences. Dealt with some rough kids but got a lot out of the public education system, which I was also offered to skip a grade and join AP courses. I understand that many areas of Compton or sketchy but I really am inferriated with some of you depicting my people as savage animals. And all the years of me living in this neighborhood. I have heard gun shots (late at night) but never have I seen a gang memeber open fire on random innocents or on a blouvard of people. I don't doubt that incidents have occured where innocent people have been harmed by gang violence. But lets be real this is'nt Grand Theft Auto (video game). The Compton I know closest to Downtown Compton/Central/91 Freeway/Near Carson area has been preety safe. Wether I was driving through or walking into a shopping complex or a barber shop. Did you know that there is a really nice library next to the Compton Courthouse? There is a big shopping center also and this is all on Compton Blvd. Near Compton High. To the original poster I suggest you conduct your interview in this area. Despite what some have suggested earlier there are decent people in Compton. Did you all know about the new shopping center on Alameda built right off the 91 freeway? There's banks, Target, Best Buy, etc. You can feel safe there doing your interviews also. Every year there is a parade on Compton Blvd. for Martin Luther King's birthday where people come out to enjoy with no gang problems. So I wouldn't listen to half of these people who's idea of Comton probably stems from their opinions formulated from the 10 o'clock news back in the 80's-90's, or what they've seen or heard in a rap song. A lot of people stay in these neighborhoods not because they are poor and cannot afford to move else where. Hell there are decent places for cheap if not cheaper and somewhat more decent neigboring cities. Most of the people liveing in these areas own homes which they have lived at for years. Why should these people be terrorize and give up what they worked hard for to earn because of gangs? So lets also throw out this myth that everyone living in these neigborhoods are dirt poor. I know I've went on for awhile but I just needed to speak my peace. Also to the original poster. I don't know if you will see this message being that this thread is old, but if you do see this feel free to contact me and I will be glad to help you with your project. And please don't listen to some of these ignorent comments made by people who have obviously never stepped foot in Compton nor the county of Los Angeles.
-Joe | [email]joe80seven@verizon.net[/email]

Old 02-27-2008, 07:06 PM

Yeah, I agree- there are good and bad areas everywhere. Even the lowest crime areas could have things happen you would never imagine... its so crazy out there, its dangerous all over- not just south LA.

I live in NE TN, with a population of about 50,000 in our city, but 400,000 total metro in a 40 mile radius- this is normally a quiet place when compared to the monster big cities out there and this is something that is not that common around here, but we do have shootings and murders- but I do not recall one in this area in awhile of this severity. This happened this morning only about 6 miles northwest of my house and 2 miles from where I work! Four people are dead, as well as the shooter. It was later told it was a "love triangle gone awry. They said it was a gruesome scene. This is a place I drive by daily when going to and from work. This is on the corner of Martin Luther King Jr. BLVD and Ash St. I am still amazed this happened.... you never know though.

From our local CBS station:
UPDATE 6:25 p.m.: Victims Named In Edgemont Towers Shooting, Suspect Allegedly Took His Life. - News - TriCities.com (http://www.tricities.com/tristate/tri/news.apx.-content-articles-TRI-2008-02-27-0021.html - broken link)

From our local NBC station:
WCYB NewsCenter5
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles