U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 11:56 AM

36 posts, read 189,395 times

Advertisements

Not only is it a bad idea because of safety issues, but it is actually a very condescending and obnoxious proposition. A White foreigner coming into a deeply impoverished and underprivileged community to chat with some locals as though they are animals in a cage is insulting and degrading. Given that you're an Aussie, I would not expect anything different. Why don't you instead examine all of the racism that exists in your own country?
Rate this post positively

Old 02-29-2008, 08:12 AM

118 posts, read 448,981 times
Default Yeah, I agree. Right on Bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pureid View Post
Not only is it a bad idea because of safety issues, but it is actually a very condescending and obnoxious proposition. A White foreigner coming into a deeply impoverished and underprivileged community to chat with some locals as though they are animals in a cage is insulting and degrading. Given that you're an Aussie, I would not expect anything different. Why don't you instead examine all of the racism that exists in your own country?
That's right. You tells him how it is: You have to consider the safety issues. The USA is a free country, we have some bad azz POlice and a large percentage of our population is in prison. How dare a white person be so condescending and obnoxious? How can you come in to what should be a nice, safe area where we, as civilized human beings, conduct ourselves as civilized human beings. Then you insult us as though we are animals in a cage. How degrading!
I've heard that you Aussise's are very condescending, obnoxious and love to make fun of poor, impoverished, underprivileged black folk.
Yeah, that's right - tell em. You are making a good impression, to say the least! Tell him, stay in your on racist country and don't take a chance of being shot because you, as a white person, should not and are not allowed to come into a certain area of the Free United Stated of by God America. We were segregated up until the 1960s, but now, we've done moved from the back of the bus and will now pop a cap in yo azz if you are white and in our hood or if you are black and gots de wrong colors on and be in our hood.
Talk about progress!

Last edited by Criss1956; 02-29-2008 at 08:21 AM..

Old 03-07-2008, 06:02 AM

762 posts, read 1,550,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmlions View Post
So if I drove through Compton would a gangbanger roll up and bust a cap in my a$$? Would I get car jacked or is it safe for me 2 drive through? I wanna take some photo's and do some interviews with people in the street, but I won't if my life is in danger...oh, and i'm white; but not american. Any ideas?
This is a dumb question. Why would you want to go to Compton? You just want a cool story for your friends? Obviously your trying to be hard because your location says inner city Columbus when you could just have Columbus?I can't bielive people are answering you. And for the record Columbus isn't that hard.

I hope this isn't a personal attack im just confused by sdmilions

Old 03-07-2008, 07:52 AM

5,612 posts, read 14,520,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmlions View Post
So if I drove through Compton would a gangbanger roll up and bust a cap in my a$$? Would I get car jacked or is it safe for me 2 drive through? I wanna take some photo's and do some interviews with people in the street, but I won't if my life is in danger...oh, and i'm white; but not american. Any ideas?
Yes. Stay out of Compton. Those of us who aren't white are scared of you. The only time White people come to Compton is to buy drugs. Please have the drug dealers come to your home and make their sales so they will leave and our children to be able to play in the street. Some us actually have jibs and are responsible citizens it's the traveling White drug buying person who makes Compton dangerous. If you weren't in Compton buying drugs, there wouldn't be drug dealers in Compton and there wouldn't be a need for gang drug wars.

Keep Compton safe! Have the drug dealers come to you!

Old 05-07-2008, 02:49 AM

13 posts, read 40,066 times
Why would you want to do this? I think you've seen too many of those late 80s/early 90s movies (and one would be too many, btw).

And you're from Ohio? Hel-lo? Ever heard of Gary, East St. Louis and Detroit. You don't have to go to California...you dope.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:13 AM

18,256 posts, read 21,497,847 times
It has always baffled my mind how people can speak out of ignorance regarding areas with which they have no first hand knowledge.

"Good" and "Bad" areas will always be relative terms, having different meanings for different people. Crime in LA is NOT restricted to one area over another. And there are many discrepanies related to truly accurate perceptions about "certain" areas. And, yes, I am going to blame the media for this.

In LA, the news reporting agencies(especially in the 80s and 90s) would place their news vans in lower income areas to catch the events that occurred to have the most sensationalized stories to lead their broadcasts. This did not mean that crimes weren't happening elsewhere in the city....it just wasn't being reported.

Affluent areas have many crimes that go unreported in the media because they have a larger stake in maintaining the "reputation" of their areas. They also have the media savvy to not speak to reporters when things do occur. Beverly Hills and West LA has quite a bit of crime in the area (robbery, burglary, assaults, auto theft, etc) however this will never make it to the 6 o'clock news...EVER. These areas

Santa Monica has had a few murders to occur recently (some would say that they is a serial killer undertone to the pattern) however, this is completely downplayed in the media.

There have recently been a few stabbings on and near Ventura Blvd in the Valley... these incidents have been downplayed as well. The Valley has also had an expansion of the number of illegal and Latin gangs in the last decade; not to mention the Armenian and Eastern Eurpoean gang members. Or the Russian Mafia in East Hollywood. Not to mention all of the crimes that occuring in the Inland Empire(Riverside and San Bernardino) due to the Meth Epidemic

So is there crime in Compton and other less affluent areas of greater LA, yes....is it exclusively centered in those areas, not necessarily.

I was born and raised in LA and I have been in nearly every neighborhood in Greater LA - I have had my car broken into and then stolen in affluent Rancho Palos Verdes and had my purse snatched in Beverly Hills. A friend that lives in Santa Monica has had her apt broken into (and she lives just south of Montana) On the flip side, I have parked my car on the street in South LA over a weekend and came back with no issues. Its all relative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles