U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2007, 12:23 PM

27,048 posts, read 29,327,948 times

Advertisements

The thing that scared me about the original post was the picture-taking. No matter what, I would NOT do this. You're some suspiciously over-friendly guy going into this place asking people questions about their personal lives...and taking their pictures. You're gonna get shot.

Don't do it.

Find another project.
Rate this post positively

Old 02-09-2007, 06:18 PM

652 posts, read 2,719,787 times
Seriously, stay out of Compton unless you have a CCW permit and you're a good shot.

Old 02-09-2007, 09:49 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,414,244 times
Here's the case law/copyright law on still photography in the U.S.: unless the subject is a person who seeks notoriety, as with actors, politicians, anyone addressing the public, you may not profit (do anything that makes $) from any photo you take of them without a signed release from them. If they're a public figure, you have no problems if you're photographing for publication or reportage of news(freedom of the press); there are laws against exploiting name and likeness for profit, i.e., selling posters or products with your photo of that person on it. You should get signed releases from anyone you photograph for any "project" that you expect to make money from.

Movie/documentary laws should have someone else in the know chime in here. What I know of it is: there is a category of licensing, be it for songs or name and likeness, that permits films to be shown only in film festival situations, and hence permits a tiny pittance for these rights, unlike the usual big studio expense accounts normally associated with production costs. That's how many documentaries get made, with an expectation that they will only be shown at film festivals to showcase same for their aspiring filmmakers, (with the expectation that any project bought by a larger studio to distribute will pay for future expenses.)

Professionals have to be very strict about this, from both sides. I want to make money from my photos, and don't want them used surreptitiously; likewise, studios don't want to be sued for using something they don't have the rights to. I've even had studios abroad call to clear usage of my photos seen on the walls of sets for films, in deference to U.S. copyright laws.

So an answer to the poster's question of reportage would be met with the further question: is this for a documentary for sale, for a student film, or what? News reportage will have easier access and accomodation from organizations within the community.

The other aspect of the question, if the poster is indeed serious, is that they're a tad naive. Why would someone, in Compton or anywhere, want to cooperate with you? Are you going to pay them for their time? Whether they are poor, unemployed, criminally inclined or just in a bad mood that day, why on earth should they do what you're asking? Are you a famous filmmaker that could shed some light on the community's real problems and therefore it's obvious your involvement will help them? Are you a skilled reporter and charming raconteur who can engage any person into divulging their life story? Are you going to make a donation to the community? If gang members approached you to "make it worth their while," could you remain coolheaded enough to convey that you expected to do that and proceed, and not bumble yourself into a robbery situation because you're so obviously out of your league and, to some, a patsy who walked into it asking for it?

I suspect the reason that Compton area Police won't take ordinary citizens who request same on "ride-alongs," which Police certainly do elsewhere in L.A., is because there's a known element of danger seeking voyeurs who don't want to know the complexity of the situation and only want the vicarious "thrill" of being on the battleground. I suspect that could be the case here as well.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:16 AM

22 posts, read 304,355 times
people exaggerate, I think you would be fine. It has a bad rep. because of their high crime rates in 80s-90s

Old 02-11-2007, 09:18 PM

334 posts, read 873,558 times
It's not that big a deal, but use your head. Do your work in the daytime, confine it to commercial areas, and you should be fine. Wear any color you want. NOBODY is going to mistake you for a crip or blood, trust me on this.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:07 PM

27,048 posts, read 29,327,948 times
I don't think it's a question of people exaggerating how shady/not shady Compton might be. I think it's a question of a person who is foreign to the area walking around asking people to spill information about themselves and snapping pictures of groups of people here and there. I mean what would that scream to you? I've never done a drug in my life and even to me that would just scream "narc". That's not the OP's intent but how on earth would anyone he's grilling and snapping pics of know that?

Even in a slightly less shady area than Compton I think this fellow's style would get him into trouble.

I just would really recommend against it.

Old 02-16-2007, 03:39 PM

31 posts, read 124,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmlions View Post
So if I drove through Compton would a gangbanger roll up and bust a cap in my a$$? Would I get car jacked or is it safe for me 2 drive through? I wanna take some photo's and do some interviews with people in the street, but I won't if my life is in danger...oh, and i'm white; but not american. Any ideas?
As a filmmaker, I say don't do it because your death will lead to another filmmaker's great story and you'll be the example of what not to do. He he he. - Hollywood -

Old 02-17-2007, 07:19 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,329,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James T View Post
Seriously, stay out of Compton unless you have a CCW permit and you're a good shot.
The gang bangs that will shoot you don't have a CCW. California wont give you a permit unless you are a movie stair or a judge and can buy one.

Old 02-18-2007, 06:39 AM

292 posts, read 501,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmlions View Post
So if I drove through Compton would a gangbanger roll up and bust a cap in my a$$? Would I get car jacked or is it safe for me 2 drive through? I wanna take some photo's and do some interviews with people in the street, but I won't if my life is in danger...oh, and i'm white; but not american. Any ideas?
Short answer: DO NOT DO THIS! Walking around that place taking
pictures and asking random strangers questions is an excellent way to get
a beatdown or shot! I repeat, DO NOT DO THIS! .
Also, if you are in Compton, do not wear blue or red, scince gangs there will
shoot you dead for wearing "gang colors".

Last edited by BlinkingBlythe; 02-18-2007 at 07:00 AM..

Old 02-18-2007, 06:54 AM

292 posts, read 501,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J1ndo View Post
It's not that big a deal, but use your head. Do your work in the daytime, confine it to commercial areas, and you should be fine. Wear any color you want. NOBODY is going to mistake you for a crip or blood, trust me on this.
Untrue, for so many reasons. Also, they don't have to kill you because they think you are a rival. Wearing a gang's color without being part of the gang can be seen as an infringement and you will get shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles