U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 09:10 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,733,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criss1956 View Post
It's a crying shame that we have cities like this in the USA. The living conditions and culture in parts of the USA worse than a third world country. Never, not in a million years, would you have such a place like this in Europe.
We need to police our own country before we try to police other countries.
There are alot of places in Europe that are dangerous and more un-sightly than Compton could ever be. Ever been to the hoo din Romania, Moldova, Poland? Pretty rough if you ask me!
Rate this post positively

Old 10-17-2007, 09:27 AM

12,975 posts, read 32,475,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
Ever been to the hoo din Romania, Moldova, Poland? Pretty rough if you ask me!
I've been to Compton, Nickerson Gardens, Watts..and I've been to Romania and Moldova (Kishenev). I love my country and my city, but I still felt safer in Europe than in any of the LA gang areas.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:18 AM

118 posts, read 449,052 times
Default Hmm, let's see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
When was the last time you went to Europe and where did you go?
I was in Frankfurt, Berlin, Oldenburg, Bremen, Nuremberg, Munich, Aschaffenburg and several other small towns in Germany last year.

The year before that I visited my daughter, who lives in Helsinki, Finland and we went to Several cities in both Finland and Sweden.

I've also been to Austria and Estonia.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
There are alot of places in Europe that are dangerous and more un-sightly than Compton could ever be. Ever been to the hoo din Romania, Moldova, Poland? Pretty rough if you ask me!
The countries that you speak of are former Communist Countries that are still in the recovery stage.
Romania and Moldova, as you know, have always had and are still having their problems.
Moldova is the poorest country in Europe. Unlike California, there are few jobs and it's pretty primitive.
Have you ever been to Krakow Poland? It's a beautiful city that is rich in history and culture.
True, there are some rough areas in many third world and recovering countries but they cannot be compared with the USA.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:52 AM

Default Regardless of what

There is no reason for anyone, in any city in the USA to act like wild, uncivilized savages and make it unsafe for a person to drive through any section of any town that they choose to drive through.
We (The USA) wag our finger at other countries and try to tell them about democracy and of living free.
However, with freedom, comes responsibility and we are to conduct ourself like a civilized human beings and not like some wild animal.
We wouldn't let a mean dog run loose and terrorize the neighborhood, why let people. That's why we have a Government to make the laws and the Police to enforce them.
If you cannot conduct yourself like a responsible human being, your freedoms should be limited to the extent to protect yourself and your neighbors.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:36 AM

3 posts, read 21,878 times
you can be harmed anywhere.
people are killed in the best areas as well as the worst.
why do you want to go to compton?
you may be viewed with suspicion, or people may be fascinated by you. it all depends.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:44 AM

29 posts, read 148,868 times
it's a poor neighborhood, if you go there dressing like a prep in a Mercedes,i you will get rude stares. But if you just go there like an avg joe during the day, it should be ok. I drove through Compton yesterday evening on the way home, i didn't feel too unsafe, but I didn't get out of my car either.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:08 PM

25 posts, read 94,632 times
People do watch too much TV.

It is true that Compton has it bad areas, but majority of the people in Compton are good low income residents who are trying to make a living for their family. I grew up in Compton (near Central and Alondra), and I am personally offended by the way many posters are comparing the city to a war zone.

1) How many of you actually know someone who live in Compton?
2) How many of you currently live or work in Compton?

Many of you act like people just run up and down the street shooting at each other all day. Most of you who criticize the city probably catch the 10 o'clock news every night to do your homework. Television is too biase. Majority of the time they will portray white people as friendly law biding citizens who live in a middle neighborhood and are all intelligent then you have the blacks and hispanics that are all portray as inspiring gangsta rapper who grew up in a hard environment.

You can't generalize a whole city base off of actions of a group of people. That is just like me generalizing all the south as racist rednecks. It is totally unfair.

What I would do if I were you is

1) call two churches, a black congregation and a hispanic congregation. Many of the ministers in the community have the respect of a lot of the kids on the street.

2) Contact the Roy W. Roberts Watts/Willowbrook Boys and Girls Club. The number is [SIZE=-2][SIZE=-1]1 (323) 567 2278 and email is [/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=-2][SIZE=-1]info@wwbgc.org.

3) Check with the Compton police department gang division.

Good luck on your project!!!!
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Old 10-25-2007, 08:56 AM

Default Get a grip on reality

I grew up in Compton (near Central and Alondra), and I am personally offended by the way many posters are comparing the city to a war zone.

(I'm sure Reginald Denny was very offended when he was dragged out of his truck and beaten half to death)

Many of you act like people just run up and down the street shooting at each other all day.
(That's the way BET Rap video portrays life in da hood)

Most of you who criticize the city probably catch the 10 o'clock news every night to do your homework.
(I don't need to go to Iraq to see what's going on, the news shows what's going on)

Television is too biase.
(True, they choose not to report many, many things that go on because they don't want to shed a bad light on "special interest groups")

Majority of the time they will portray white people as friendly law biding citizens who live in a middle neighborhood and are all intelligent then you have the blacks and hispanics that are all portray as inspiring gangsta rapper who grew up in a hard environment.
(You're right, that's exactly how BET portrays and glorifies it.)

Old 10-25-2007, 09:48 AM

25 posts, read 94,632 times
I grew up in Compton (near Central and Alondra), and I am personally offended by the way many posters are comparing the city to a war zone.

(I'm sure Reginald Denny was very offended when he was dragged out of his truck and beaten half to death)

For one, that wasn't Compton where he was beaten. Also, if you don't remember, there was a riot that was going on right after a all white jury in semi valley acquitted white police officers for beaten the crap out of a defenseless black man regardless if he was guity or not. By the way, how do you get drag out of a Mack truck? Not saying that he deserved it but come on man, use common sense. Why would you stop and open your door in the middle of a riot? Especially considering white people at that were not very welcome.

Many of you act like people just run up and down the street shooting at each other all day.

(That's the way BET Rap video portrays life in da hood)

BET does not represent black people. They are owned by Asians and they are basically putting out there what sells. Many blacks are sick of this stereotype and are really upset at the rappers who continue to sell us out for a dollar. That we we now have TV ONE, it is reflecting the serious side of black entertainment.

Most of you who criticize the city probably catch the 10 o'clock news every night to do your homework.

(I don't need to go to Iraq to see what's going on, the news shows what's going on)

The news is one sided. They are quick to air out there something bad happens in the inner city. But when was the last time you have seen a news report on people at local boys and girls club helping the youth or any good that somebody has done in the community? I hope you are not ignorant enough to believe that nothing good happens in the inner city? Bad news sells because it feeds on people's paranoia.

Television is too biase.

(True, they choose not to report many, many things that go on because they don't want to shed a bad light on "special interest groups")

See comment above

Majority of the time they will portray white people as friendly law biding citizens who live in a middle neighborhood and are all intelligent then you have the blacks and hispanics that are all portray as inspiring gangsta rapper who grew up in a hard environment.

(You're right, that's exactly how BET portrays and glorifies it.)

Again, BET does not represent the whole black community. They only represent hip hop industry. Watch TV ONE if you want to see true black entertainment.

Look all that I am saying is that we all should not judge a whole race of people base on what we watch on TV. TV is nor reliable because they are only going to play what is selling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles