Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 09:01 AM

625 posts, read 2,436,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Will I die in Compton?
Yes. A horrible, graphic, bloody death.

J/K. Seriously, use your head. Go to Santa Monica. Closer to the beach, and you'll be safer.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:18 AM

118 posts, read 465,440 times
Why do we allow things like this to go on here in America?
Compton sounds like it is a 3d world, war zone.
America need to wake up and get control over violent,uncivilized, savage people.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:48 PM

15 posts, read 91,200 times
These people posting have obviously not been to Compton recently. It's tons better than it was in the 80's/90's and the only problem I see you having is trying to find someone who speaks english. The past couple of times I've driven through Compton I've seen plenty of hispanic families walking the streets but hardly any black people, especially in comparison to just 5 years ago.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:53 PM

435 posts, read 1,520,971 times
What is the obssesion with white kids and the ghetto? Seriously, if you want to go to Compton, grow a pair and just do it. Right now, you sound like your trying to make a mockery of the citizens of Compton, so maybe your sucker ass should get popped.....

Old 08-22-2007, 01:56 PM

660 posts, read 2,441,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducktales View Post
Don't wear anything remotely close to red or blue. Especially BLUE. Compton is chock full of Blood gang members. It is a mostly Black and Hispanic neighborhood. The Black gang members over there would kill another black over nothing over there.

I would suggest you go to Compton in an unmarked Police Car and carry a Bible as well.
you meant red if its full of bloods

Old 08-22-2007, 03:30 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,150 times
what is the fascination with compton? yes, it's more dangerous than most cities its size, and it isn't someplace to travel through after dark with no particular destination in mind or hang around if you are unknown to the locals. however, it isn't exactly mogadishu circa 1993. it sounds like some of you think that bands of armed gangsters roam the streets of compton in broad daylight picking off strangers for sport. compton has a couple dozen schools, a branch of the LA superior court, and few light industrial centers where people of all ethnicities go to work and make it back home in one piece every day. compton is most dangerous for those who live there, and those who go there looking for trouble. anyone with legitimate business there is more likely to be accosted by a homeless person begging for spare change than by a criminal brandishing a weapon. please, try not to be such alarmists, especially when you know the place by reputation only.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:49 PM

4 posts, read 19,165 times
liste, be smart. Driving is fun almost anywhere. if u make an expression that can be taken by someone as racial, you could be in truble. Also, if you see ppl in a group that look like gangmembers, dont pull over and ask for interviews. its safer than its references in movies and what people say. Yes there are lots of murders and gangs, but it is fine.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:08 PM

486 posts, read 982,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmlions View Post
The history of Compton...back in the day and everything like that. I am putting a piece together, trying to encourage the government to put some money back into the area. I wanna talk to people about what there is to do in the neighbourhood, and what they would like to see bought in to stop young people from engaging in senseless violence...I like the ideas about wearing white and speaking to the local pd, i'll look that up. Anything else I should know?

I'm not familiar with the area, but I would assume that they have some type of youth center. You could call and speak with the director of the youth center and maybe make an appointment to take some pictures. I don't think talking to random people and taking pictures is a good idea in any area that you are not familiar with.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:30 AM

169 posts, read 859,342 times
you'll be fine, Compton isn't all what you see on tv...

taking random pictures of people without their authorization may not be a good idea. But talking to people shouldn't be a problem, it wont be easy, but as long as you state what your about, have a lil personality, then you should be fine. Compton's been through alot so people are skeptical of outsiders coming in to help, so you better come off like your genuine about your cause so your not mistaken for a poverty pimp.

Old 08-25-2007, 11:27 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,606,544 times
Compton can be dangerous and if you mess with the wrong people you will shot. That is a very true reality. A majority of the gang members in the area will not think twice about pulling the trigger.

Finding someone to talk to will be tough for many reasons:
1. A lot of Spanish spoken in the Area
2. Gangs have intimidated the population into not talking
3. Hispanic and Black communities have distrust of White People

I suggest you find former gang members to talk with. There are several gangs members that have turned straight and are willing to talk and even set up meetings with the "Locals". Try and get in touch with Father Greg Boyle...he runs Homeboy Industries.

Executive Director of Jobs For A Future / Homeboy Industries
(http://www.homeboy-industries.org/father_gregg.php - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles