Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 11:20 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,313,077 times

Advertisements

ooooh. oooooh. I own a copy of "Straight Outta Compton"! I've seen "Boyz in da Hood"! Can I comment?

Seriously, at least half of these comments seem totally uninformed. I know some folks who have done some work in Compton and Watts, and I've done some work in some pretty rough areas of Chicago and Atlanta. My hometown, though much smaller, has areas with comparable per capita crime rates.

Follow the instructions above. Be smart. It isn't Baghdad or Kabul. It's just a poor area with a lot of crime.

Old 10-25-2007, 03:29 PM

635 posts, read 1,741,364 times
possibly..

Old 10-26-2007, 09:04 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,640,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Criss1956 View Post
It's a crying shame that we have cities like this in the USA. The living conditions and culture in parts of the USA worse than a third world country. Never, not in a million years, would you have such a place like this in Europe.
We need to police our own country before we try to police other countries.
Quit crying about it. We know it's a shame. And I doubt Europe is paradise.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:57 AM

118 posts, read 463,550 times
Default Tisk, tisk, tisk

How stupid.
When I said it was a crying shame, that was just a polite way of saying that it's a damned shame.
Then you come up with a stupid post that that.
If you know that it's a shame, why aren't you trying to do something about it or at least talk about it? Bless your heart.

I will not even try to discuss the differences between the USA and Europe with a person of your level of intelligence.

Old 10-27-2007, 09:49 PM

358 posts, read 1,913,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
There are alot of places in Europe that are dangerous and more un-sightly than Compton could ever be. Ever been to the hoo din Romania, Moldova, Poland? Pretty rough if you ask me!
Murder rate in Moldova: 0.078 per thousand
Murder rate in Compton: over 0.500 per thousand (.40-.67 over the last five years)

Murder rate 7 times higher in Compton!

The only country that rivals Compton's murder rate is South Africa, of all countries that can give reliable statistics (over sixty).

(stats from nationmaster.com and city-data.com )

When people dismiss dangerous parts of the USA by saying "there are bad parts in every country"... they're being very misleading. Because the most dangerous cities and neighborhoods in the USA are far worse than basically all the rest of the developed world.

It really is beyond sad and pathetic. It's not "the media" or anything like that. There are just too many people who live in these places that just simply are unbelievably violent - more so than most of the rest of the world (despite having far more wealth than most people in the world)

Old 10-28-2007, 04:40 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,285,866 times
Yes, Compton has its bad element. But every race has this level. I wouldn't be caught dead in many of the rural backwoods portions of white America, where it is commonplace to inbreed, sodomize animals, kill for sport, and rape livestock. I wonder how many murders in these remote areas go unreported?

The fact is that if you choose to base your opinion on an entire race by its worst element, then you are just as ignorant. Instead of looking at Compton, talk to some black law students. Get informed.

About BET being owned by Asians, I didn't know this. I stopped watching BET 20 years ago and the fact that its owned by Asians explains its programming. Pathetic.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:21 PM

358 posts, read 1,913,167 times
Rural white America is generally the safest areas of the country. I'm from a poor rural white area. Former industrial town... the industries died and the jobs left. All that is left is a bunch of rural white people in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by forest, and mountains of snow in the winter. But unlike poor black towns, these towns are extremely safe. People don't inbreed, most people don't hunt, and those that do eat what they kill, and unlike in some urban places, which engage in dogfighting and other cruel things to breed guard dogs, people there care a lot about the environment and the animals that live around them - pets, livestock, and wildlife - and treat them well.

The rural white American is the last demographic group that it's socially acceptable to stereotype so negatively. "white trash"... even though they're far more civilized than poor people of some other ethnic groups in the USA.

Old 11-10-2007, 12:38 PM

3 posts, read 55,966 times
Default I don't think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmlions View Post
So if I drove through Compton would a gangbanger roll up and bust a cap in my a$$? Would I get car jacked or is it safe for me 2 drive through? I wanna take some photo's and do some interviews with people in the street, but I won't if my life is in danger...oh, and i'm white; but not american. Any ideas?
Compton is a town that has an undeserved reputation. Is it inner city ? Yes. Is it largely monority? Yes.

If your intentions are pure and you are there to help the community, you no doubt would be recieved favorably. However, if you are a wigger trying to make a video or a fake and you are just being curious, then no one is going to respect your motivation. By the way anyone could get killed being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Especially in compromising situations that deal with drugs, gangs, crime etc....

What are your goals with your desired interviews? Are you comfortable enough in your own skin to deal with blacks to get your project accomplished? I am concerned because you are asking complete strangers, rather than a co-worker, neighbor, or friend.

fefe

Last edited by fefeford; 11-10-2007 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: Typos

Old 11-10-2007, 01:00 PM

3 posts, read 55,966 times
Getting in touch with a Church Like Love and Unity on Wilmington Bl. is a good choice. Do speack more of your project.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:03 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,607,558 times
anyone who thinks compton is still majority black city doesn't know compton, and i would take with a grain of salt anything they say about the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles