Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2008, 07:39 PM

9 posts, read 21,309 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to L.A. this January, and I would love some advice. I will need to live close to a law school, because I will be attending bar exam preparatory classes. Next, I need relatively cheap rent, because for at least 6-7 months, I will have no income.

In terms of social life, I have no doubt that L.A. has some of the most exciting night life in the country. If I am a single, heterosexual male who enjoys jazz bars and house/techno music, what would you recommend?

All I keep hearing from multiple sources is how superficial and materialistic people are in L.A., but I refuse to believe that such a sweeping generalization can be made about any city. Materialism and superficiality can be found in any city, it is just a matter of degree. You thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 08:38 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,109,953 times
There are only 20+ law schools in LA. Which one(s) are you planning to attend? btw, the Westside has the most superficial, snotty people.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:44 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,723,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinCattaneo View Post
I will be attending bar exam preparatory classes.

Where are these classes?

Old 09-12-2008, 09:00 PM

7 posts, read 31,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
There are only 20+ law schools in LA. Which one(s) are you planning to attend? btw, the Westside has the most superficial, snotty people.
Like you know everyone on the westside...what a rude comment.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:42 PM

240 posts, read 1,423,226 times
Your best bet is probably to relocate close to where the Bar Prep class is held. They are not always held at law schools. More than ten years ago, BarBri, which used to be a major Bar prep course, held classes in Santa Monica, a location far away from any law school, but close to the beach, so it was very popular. If you already know which course you will take, then find out where it is offered in LA, and then try to find a place closeby. Generally, places near the beach are more expensive, but more fun, and places away from the beach are less expensive. A lot of people check Craigs list in Los Angeles to get an idea of what it costs to rent here. Many people from out-of-state are initally shocked by the prices, so make sure you have plenty saved before you relocate. Also, jobs for first-year lawyers are very competitive here, so you might want to think about what other types of work you can do before you land your first job as an associate, unless you already have a job lined up. Good luck.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:45 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,417,589 times
How cheap do you consider cheap? That will be your best guide.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:05 AM

9 posts, read 21,309 times
Thank you. That was both informative and practical. I will find out where BarBri is conducting classes, which will ultimately decide where I need to look for a place to live.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:33 AM

14 posts, read 55,272 times
Well friend, you are right, LA has all walks of people. It is all what you want to see and surround yourself with. The general energy I feel is a mass of people here not nearly as delusional as the media would claim. Most "fashion oriented" people I come in contact with are extremely cool and non judgmental, it helps to talk and leave the safety of your car every so often. Plenty of ********s too, but most of them will be paying you for legal advice to I say, hate the sin love the sinner!!! If the stereotype of LA is resultant from anything, it is the escapists who came here from elsewhere already invested in the superficial theme now acting it out in the holy land and those people, I feel REALLY bad for. Don't get me wrong, LA rarely is a "fall in love" kind of place. It is more so a place that shows you the ugly really quickly and the beauty really slowly and that's how it get's ya!!

I don't know where you are coming from which is how much I can gauge the shock factor that rent in LA will give you... This is also based on how much you have to spend... If you were moving from say, London, I'd say welcome to inexpensive living! If you're moving from Scranton, PA, I'd say, get ready to pay a mortgage for rent. There are a lot of deals where guest houses are for cheap rent in Hollywood mansions. Larger 3 bed apartments often need that 3rd room mate, or find a chill studio. As mentioned earlier CRAIGSLIST!! CRAIGSLIST!! CRAIGSLIST!! I cannot sing it's praises enough, it is a way of life... My advise, even if it is more in money, LIVE IN A NEIGHBORHOOD THAT INSPIRES YOUR WORK and at all cost, if you have a short commute, you will be 300% happier here, remember to factor in your commute in your expenses, very important!!

One of the best places for Jazz in LA is in one of the worst neighborhoods, still haven't been but my neighbor goes to sit in. Techno/House? Some good spots in downtown Hollywood, some spots in Downtown LA. My advice? KCRW 89.9 after 10pm, you'll find out more from there... Have fun man, do good in Law school and enjoy the time you're here!!!!

Old 09-15-2008, 08:29 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,109,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tututango View Post
Like you know everyone on the westside...what a rude comment.
Like I've lived in LA for almost 40 years and have been all over, mostly on the Westside and I will say again, the people on the Westside are the rudest, snottiest people you will meet in LA. For some reason they think they are better than the rest of us.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:22 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,307,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Like I've lived in LA for almost 40 years and have been all over, mostly on the Westside and I will say again, the people on the Westside are the rudest, snottiest people you will meet in LA. For some reason they think they are better than the rest of us.
Maybe you feel inferior to them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles