Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 08:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,784 times

Advertisements

Keep AWAY the "new modern kind of houses where they build them all in a row and it's huge surburb-like area with green grass everywhere and all". "Green grass everywhere" is your 10x10 yard, no thanks. " normal life" what normal life for you, isn't normal me. Row houses are the dullness pit of America, no thought into it, living like robots, led like cattle. If that is the kind of lifestyle you want, go to IRVINE Orange County. It looks like your living in the "Truman Show"

You see some people dont want to be the same as the other person, and we dont have to, and we get along just fine.

Ever wonder why Developers dont live in the Row home suburbs. You go stir crazy living the same thing over and over and over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 10:50 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,608,476 times
As others have said, LA has no land left to build these mega housing developments that you see in Las Vegas, Dallas, etc. Because of the mountains and ocean, LA ran out of land a long time ago. And I have to say that I'm glad. One thing I really like about Los Angeles is that unlike other "sunbelt" cities, the housing stock here really has a lot of character with a very wide variety of styles. The neighborhoods are more walkable since the street are laid out in a grid with commercial development built directly adjacent to residential streets; unlike newer suburbs where you have individual subdivisions and huge strip malls, with no way of walking between the two.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:53 AM

7,725 posts, read 12,620,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
As others have said, LA has no land left to build these mega housing developments that you see in Las Vegas, Dallas, etc. Because of the mountains and ocean, LA ran out of land a long time ago. And I have to say that I'm glad. One thing I really like about Los Angeles is that unlike other "sunbelt" cities, the housing stock here really has a lot of character with a very wide variety of styles. The neighborhoods are more walkable since the street are laid out in a grid with commercial development built directly adjacent to residential streets; unlike newer suburbs where you have individual subdivisions and huge strip malls, with no way of walking between the two.
More walkable? In what Beverly Hills? You seem to be leaving out the 'walkable' areas of the ghetto. I bet you wouldn't believe it was so 'walkable' if you lived in those areas no offense. But yeah I do love that Los Angeles has a lot of variety of houses. I don't like the fact they most are old however.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoelen View Post
Keep AWAY the "new modern kind of houses where they build them all in a row and it's huge surburb-like area with green grass everywhere and all". "Green grass everywhere" is your 10x10 yard, no thanks. " normal life" what normal life for you, isn't normal me. Row houses are the dullness pit of America, no thought into it, living like robots, led like cattle. If that is the kind of lifestyle you want, go to IRVINE Orange County. It looks like your living in the "Truman Show"

You see some people dont want to be the same as the other person, and we dont have to, and we get along just fine.

Ever wonder why Developers dont live in the Row home suburbs. You go stir crazy living the same thing over and over and over.
I think you over exaggerated just a tad bit with your unforgettable quote "Row houses are the dullness pit of America". If you haven't lived in one then you wouldn't know what it's like. Row houses are what you make them out to be. Just because they are usually in clean areas and lots of green scenery does not mean it's a completely quiet suburbia mess of i'll-call-the-cops-on-your-ass-if-you-make-noise kind of place. My neighborhood certainly isn't like that. People play loud music, have parties in the garage and on the front lawn with family, they take dogs out, and it's just a really good atmosphere. It's a very lively neighborhood. And it's safe. I don't understand why you also dissed the green grass thing. I think alot more green grass in Los Angeles would make it a more visually attractive city. I see nothing wrong with that at all. Sure you don't have to be like other cities but I was just wondering and I got the message.

And also I never said ALL of Los Angeles should have houses like that. I said why don't they build some areas of Los Angeles with that. Not areas where families would disturb you working around fancy Hollywood town. If they actually built some in places like the ghetto maybe it wouldn't be ghetto anymore. Middle class families who grew up in LA could actually afford to stay there. All you seem to care about is yourself. You've made it in LA. Congratulations. But for the millions of families that had to move away from their hometown, it's really sad. That was their home.

Last edited by allenk893; 09-26-2008 at 12:12 PM..

Old 09-26-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingLikeAGradStudent View Post
There are still plenty of nice places for families, with and without kids, to rent in the actual L.A. parts of Los Angeles. New tract housing? Those developments are the ones suffering the most in the housing crisis, because the buyers barely could afford to buy them with the shaky lending practices. The bones on older places in L.A. are generally much better than KB-level houses with small yards.
Really? That's so interesting. But honestly, I don't believe their are any nice places for families that are struggling living in Middle Class. That's presumably why so many are leaving.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:07 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,608,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
More walkable? In what Beverly Hills? You seem to be leaving out the 'walkable' areas of the ghetto. I bet you wouldn't believe it was so 'walkable' if you lived in those areas no offense. But yeah I do love that Los Angeles has a lot of variety of houses. I don't like the fact they most are old however.
How is this any different than any other city? Yes, Los Angeles has ghettos that aren't pleasant to walk around. But so does NYC, Chicago, DC, New Orleans, etc. What you just said about LA applies to almost every other major city out there.

Old 09-27-2008, 03:47 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,337,824 times
Quote:
I don't think it's that bad. I mean seriously, if you don't have kids and a wife then you wouldn't know what it's like. Now I don't live there, but LA seems to be a place where you have to be making good money to live comfortably in a seemingly good neighborhood where you won't have the possibility of getting shot walking down the street. Or your family members. You had to be making real good money for that. That's why I'm starting to wonder why shouldn't they make new housing projects? Some middle-class families would actually be able to settle down there. LA is a hometown to many families in America by the way. It's not just a city for single people looking to get lucky in Hollywood (lol like me). So I realize they shouldn't build them near downtown but LA is a big a** city. There's room somewhere for it! Somewhere presumbly safe.

What do new housing developments have to do with safe neighborhoods? NOTHING. Palmdale, Riverside....I could go on...have plenty of new homes. I live in a community with 70-80 year-old homes (average) and we have a clean, safe, gorgeous community. Anyone attempting to flatten anything and build these monstrosities would be run out of town. For anyone who really loves new homes, go to Las Vegas or the IE or Santa Clarita. Remember about affordability: real estate goes for what the market will bear.

FYI, I'm raising a 9 year-old. There's plenty for us to do with him here, plenty of families who live nearby, lots of kids and LAUSD (luckily) has done a great job with my special needs kid (Autism Spectrum Disorder).

Old 09-27-2008, 08:48 AM

419 posts, read 1,449,942 times
Quote:
There are a ton of walkable, safe neighborhoods in LA, including the Valley which is mostly part of the city of LA.

It sounds like you're ignorant of the area... visit lalife.com to see a quick map of what is safe and what isn't.

Then visit walkscore.com to see if a given area is "walkable."

Old 09-27-2008, 01:09 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,202,555 times
Allen, you might consider Virginia? Loudon Country, Reston Country, Fairfax County have all gone the way of planned communities in "safe" neighborhoods. Reston, Va. was actually the first planned community in the nation. Virginia still has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country....under 3%! They have lovely planned communities you might like with everything from apartment living, Townhomes and single family dwellings. Much, much more for your money than in Los Angeles. I think Loudon County was one of the fastest growing counties in the nation last year. Maybe worth checking out if you don't find what you want in L.A.

Old 09-27-2008, 01:22 PM

72,414 posts, read 18,200,999 times
The new developement in West Covina on Azusa ave where the new sportsplex is built,They are no the hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles