Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2007, 02:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,712 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I have been reading this forum with interest for the last few months. I am an Journalism and Public Relations graduate from Manchester, England who is seriously considering relocating to LA. I have seen that there are quite a few Publicity/Marketing jobs with the Television/Film studios but i'm wondering if anyone has any experience with applying to these companies and how competative i can expect it to be?
Is it worth me submitting an application now or will i just be wasting my time as if i was asked to interview then i'm not in a position to do so at the moment.
I was thinking of coming over for a month to test the water, apply for some jobs and see how i like the place but i dont want this to eat up into my budget too much as flights alone are £400 then i would need to arrange accomadation and car rental for this period. Has anyone got any thought or advice they can give me on this? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 05:57 AM

1,072 posts, read 843,809 times
Seriously consider trying to get an employer to sponsor you as you work on your citizenship. If you are a recent grad there are alot of job fairs etc offered around at the local UNI soon. Get online and check them out.

You can stay at a hostle in Santa Monica, (I believe) for pretty cheap per day, as you interview and check out the area. SMonica has a lovely Brit community that would be very welcoming to you I am sure.

Good Luck

Just remember, in L.A. you're payin for the weather.

Old 02-07-2007, 07:34 AM

989 posts, read 5,914,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHATTY CATHY View Post

Just remember, in L.A. you're payin for the weather.
Agreed, because you surely aren't payin for the traffic.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:12 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,896,359 times
It is going to be very, very hard for you to hop into the industry. If you want to submit applications, submit many, submit often and follow up.

My DH did get a job in the music industry, which is almost as hard, and it is in marketing. However, he had fifteen years experience in the industry already.

I don't want to dissuade you--just don't want you to be making plans thinking your skills (and I'm sure they're considerable--I'm sure you're qualified) will get you a glamour job. They rarely do. The entertainment industry in general is very incestuous--meaning people swap from one firm to another much sooner than hiring from the outside, unless you're talking a secretarial position, and even then it's not easy.

DH started out during college by interning, not getting paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: