Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 06:42 AM

1 posts, read 3,476 times

Advertisements

My father Garry Dewhirst was the [manager] at Pops Willow Lake arround 51 or 52. As a youngster I have many fond memories, the security guard mac, one of the female lifeguards I think her name was rita who would swim the pool with me on her back, the old show car made of 2 front ends wielded together so you couldn't tell the front from the back, the old house we lived in on the property, rowing a boat arround the lake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 06:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,384 times
We used to go to Pops Willow Lake in the late 40's ..I was about 5 yrs old then and i thought that it was so big and pretty there..I will ask my brother where it was and we must have some photo's of it in my Mom's photo's..will post if i find out anything.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:13 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Boy does that bring back memories: it was one of our favorite hangouts when we were in our teens. That was the early to mid 50s. I haven't thought much about it in years.

Nita

Old 07-09-2011, 10:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,299 times
I am 72 yrs old. My Dad use to take my sister & me to Pops Willow Lake when I was 6 & she was 9. That always marked the beginning of Summer. I t was a long swimming pool with slanted sides you could slide down into the water. It had a boating lake next to it. I use to catch pollywogs & misquito fish. I remember once I got badly sunburned & when my sister started to peel of the skin there where frickle undernith. I always wondered where the pool was & what happened to it.
That was before vidio cameras. My Dad died back in 84 & I am sure we had some great pictures of Pops Wilow Lake, But unfortunately no one thought to save them. There are only memories now.
Nice to hear that some one else remembers it too. Take care,
Paul Skillman

Old 07-27-2011, 04:14 PM

59 posts, read 350,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul skillman View Post
I am 72 yrs old. My Dad use to take my sister & me to Pops Willow Lake when I was 6 & she was 9. That always marked the beginning of Summer. I t was a long swimming pool with slanted sides you could slide down into the water. It had a boating lake next to it. I use to catch pollywogs & misquito fish. I remember once I got badly sunburned & when my sister started to peel of the skin there where frickle undernith. I always wondered where the pool was & what happened to it.
That was before vidio cameras. My Dad died back in 84 & I am sure we had some great pictures of Pops Wilow Lake, But unfortunately no one thought to save them. There are only memories now.
Nice to hear that some one else remembers it too. Take care,
Paul Skillman
I am also 72, Paul, so we were probably both there in the same era - I remember the slanted sides and the lake area where you could paddleboard and the pollywogs and lots of yellowjackets. Large grassy areas for picnics.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:08 PM

2 posts, read 6,372 times
The first Pop's Willow Lake was on Wentworth on the East side of the wash in a old rock quarry. When it was washed out it was rebuilt on the West side at Orcas off Foothill. The pool appeared to be a large hole that was roughly finished with gunite with rounded sides and a Beer Garden at the West end. I believe J P Morgan, from S/T, got her start there. The pool, at least in later years, was chlorinated and was shut down for a period of time because of a chlorine gas leak. There are pictures of the first Pops Willow lake but not sure of the Orcas site. Lloyd at Bolton Hall Museum, Tujunga

Old 11-09-2011, 05:18 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.T.History View Post
it was rebuilt on the West side at Orcas off Foothill. The pool appeared to be a large hole that was roughly finished with gunite with rounded sides and a Beer Garden at the West end.

Is this it?

NETR Online • Historic Aerials

Old 11-10-2011, 05:39 PM

2 posts, read 6,372 times
S.T. History
Sorry, I could not open aerial photo. Lloyd

Old 11-11-2011, 02:23 AM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.T.History View Post
S.T. History
Sorry, I could not open aerial photo. Lloyd
The link should work... I just tried it.

Here is the one I used:

NETR Online • Historic Aerials

Old 06-27-2012, 04:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garydew View Post
My father Garry Dewhirst was the [manager] at Pops Willow Lake arround 51 or 52. As a youngster I have many fond memories, the security guard mac, one of the female lifeguards I think her name was rita who would swim the pool with me on her back, the old show car made of 2 front ends wielded together so you couldn't tell the front from the back, the old house we lived in on the property, rowing a boat arround the lake
Hello to daughter of Garry Dewhirst. I write short monthly historical stories for a historical society in Tujunga, CA and wondered if you might have any pictures of Pop's Willow Lake that you might like to donate to the society and that I might use to accompany my next story, which will be about Pop's. For a place that was once so popular pictures are in very short supply. So far have only four and they're not all that good.

Tom

PS Do you perchance know the year Pop's closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles