Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2014, 05:16 PM

4 posts, read 8,931 times

Advertisements

Yes I'm thinking about moving to L.A. next year and I'm wondering where the cheapest places to live are. I plan on having 2-3 housemates for budget purposes and a job in the entertainment industry (I currently work in film/tv in ATL). I would not move without securing a job first. I have heard that certain smaller artistic communities are affordable and safe. I'm wondering if this is valid. Do such places exist? Where do the poor musicians/artists in their 30's live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 05:21 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,992,528 times
Whats wrong with ATL?

Old 09-15-2014, 05:51 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
My husband says: Silver Lake.

Actually, at first he said, "A successful musician?" and I said, "No, a musician starting out, without a job" and he said "Watts." Do not take that advice.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:09 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Smaller artistic communities that are affordable and safe don't really exist. There were places like that, but they got "discovered" by everyone and rents and property prices skyrocketed.

Patti Smith said this about NYC in 2010

Patti Smith To Artists: Don't Come To New York

Smith was asked if it was possible for young artists to come to the city and find the path to stardom that she did.

In response, Smith told the crowd, "New York has closed itself off to the young and the struggling. But there are other cities. Detroit. Poughkeepsie. New York City has been taken away from you. So my advice is: Find a new city."

The same could be said about L.A as well to some degree.

The cheapest places are usually not what most people consider nice places to live. It's the same like pretty much every city.

I would probably suggest North Hollywood, but not one of the fancy places right in NoHo arts district.
This is noho arts for reference.
NoHo, Arts District.com North Hollywood Restaurants in North Hollywood News, Art Galleries, Dance Classes, Theatres in North Hollywood - NoHoArtsDistrict.com

There is also the subway (redline) in NoHo arts which can get you to hollywood , downtown L.A and other areas quickly

Since you are going to have roommates your options will open up a bit versus just looking for yourself.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
My husband says: Silver Lake.

Actually, at first he said, "A successful musician?" and I said, "No, a musician starting out, without a job" and he said "Watts." Do not take that advice.
LOL...well a successful musicians could live anywhere right?

I guess it depends on the definition of success too though...

Here is a 3bedroom in watts at $1150 ...not too bad..
FRESH PAINT! 3 bed, 1 bath unit.

Would only be like $383 a month per bedroom.

I would definitely do North Hollywood before Watts though...

Of course they do have the Watts Towers...
http://www.wattstowers.us/

Also nearby Compton is said to be the next Hipster hotspot like Brooklyn...not sure what the progress has been on that...I wouldn't hold my breath ..
Is This City The New Brooklyn? Mayor Aja Brown Makes The Case For Compton

Old 09-15-2014, 06:24 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,469,326 times
South LA is really nice this time of year I hear especially Watts and Crenshaw.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:27 PM

It used to be a nice place to live....

Look how nice it was in the 60s...
Watts, 1966: Photos From the Streets a Year After the 1965 Riots | LIFE.com

Old 09-15-2014, 08:39 PM

4 posts, read 8,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Whats wrong with ATL?
Well I can think of many ubiquitous flaws (traffic, sprawl, ghetto, property crime, racial dissolution, yeah it's the south) but none of them bother me more than the distinct lack of history and creative culture. This city is doing quite well commercially, and there's a lot of industry, but the people here are heartless and ignorant.

Atlanta is great for soulless people who just want to make a lot of money. Me, I'd rather live modestly in a place with a nice climate and a good mix of people and cultures.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:59 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Honestly, wherever they can find a place they can afford. Figure out where you would want to be if money were no object, then work your way out until you find what you can afford. You probably won't be alone! Are you brining your housemates with you or looking to find some in LA? If you're coming alone check CL and see who has a room for rent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: