Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 10:31 AM

419 posts, read 1,449,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
This is very true. Students finish school in Santa Barbara and leave the increasingly "graying" community. It's unfortunate, but the fact is, as mark85 stated, the economy is slim with high competition for $10, $12, $15/hr. jobs. Add to this the housing issue and it's not difficult to understand why graduates leave the area.

That said, Santa Barbara lends itself to consulting and self-employment for those who can figure out a service to provide and are good at what they do. The area is small and word-of-mouth referrals mean a lot. There's not exactly a shortage of wealth in SB, and people will pay top dollar for professionalism and services that they want. There's also a tendency to love hiring consultants/services local to SB.

Agreed - the OP is after a college experience, not a work experience.

All the comments above, including that1guy, definitely support SB as a "college experience."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 02:45 PM

11 posts, read 69,751 times
Thanks a lot for the responses everyone - I really appreciate it. I definitley need to get out there soon to check out both areas.

As far as housing goes - what do SBCC students usually do? I know a couple options would be to share an apartment with roomates or live in a student-run building, but there are no dorms. I'm not huge on "dorm life", however I also don't want to live too far away from the action - I want to be where most of my fellow students will be. And as far as the whole UCSB/SBCC thing - I had thought of that - since I would probably be looking to transfer to UCSB if I were to go to SBCC, I would want to be part of the UCSB gang. Do you think UCSB students tend to look down upon SBCC students, or do most just not care? Will it be easy to socialize and make friends with the UCSB students if I am attending SBCC? Would I still be allowed on the UCSB campus and attend UCSB activites? And where would the best place for an SBCC student looking to be "right in the middle" of everything want to live? Somewhere where there's a mix of both UCSB and SBCC students, and where most of the fun happens - Isla Vista? Any additional info would be great, thanks a lot everyone.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:51 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,905,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBan13 View Post
Thanks a lot for the responses everyone - I really appreciate it. I definitley need to get out there soon to check out both areas.

As far as housing goes - what do SBCC students usually do? I know a couple options would be to share an apartment with roomates or live in a student-run building, but there are no dorms. I'm not huge on "dorm life", however I also don't want to live too far away from the action - I want to be where most of my fellow students will be. And as far as the whole UCSB/SBCC thing - I had thought of that - since I would probably be looking to transfer to UCSB if I were to go to SBCC, I would want to be part of the UCSB gang. Do you think UCSB students tend to look down upon SBCC students, or do most just not care? Will it be easy to socialize and make friends with the UCSB students if I am attending SBCC? Would I still be allowed on the UCSB campus and attend UCSB activites? And where would the best place for an SBCC student looking to be "right in the middle" of everything want to live? Somewhere where there's a mix of both UCSB and SBCC students, and where most of the fun happens - Isla Vista? Any additional info would be great, thanks a lot everyone.
Yeah the whole SBCC/UCSB thing is more of a joke. Snide remarks every once in a while, but nothing serious. (UCSB students joke around saying that all SBCC students do is smoke pot on the beach all day. SBCC students call out the UCSB student for doing the same thing) There are free concerts on campus every once in a while, (at Storke Plaza) that is open to the entire community. Plus, there are certian Greek events that are open to the public (like ISVT in Santa Barbara.. inter-sorority volleyball. Also soccer season is HUGE!!! Check out the joint rolling contest at Ansiq O'Yo. Also Chilla Vista, at Ansiq O'Yo Park. Lots of stuff). Live in Isla Vista...the Mesa is cool, but Isla Vista is WAY funner.

Trust me, as a former Gaucho, UCSB students are probably the friendliest in California. It's harder to be alone in the region than not meeting people. You will make a lot of UCSB and SBCC friends. There is a lot of overlap in terms of social circles. My neighbors were a 50/50 split of UCSB and SBCC.

Ok, the best way to make friends in IV is simply holding a party. Buy enough "supplies", have good music, beer pong, and tell your classmates. Stand outside and play your music and beer pong. Simply ask people if they want to join. Trust me...you will meet some interesting people. Some of them will be douchebags, some will be very nice. Join the beer pong league too. Most people in IV play beer pong. It is a part of the social fabric in IV.

50 club in the spring is another great way to meet people. 50 club is going to the Study Hall 50 times during UCSB's spring quarter. If completed you get to go a free party.

Non-alcohol related events are not rare however. If you work in IV, try to start up an Intramural team. SBCC students pay more, but it's a way to make friends.

Okay the breakdown of neighborhoods:
Goleta: Quiet and close to UCSB, this neighborhood is socially dead. People that live here are typically grad students or 3rd and 4th years. No massive blow out parties, but no noise. Cheaper rents. The area around Storke road is the place closest to campus along with Ellewood.
Bus service to SBCC.

Mesa: Closest neighborhood to SBCC. Again more reserved since this is also a nice neighborhood for Santa Barbara locals. Rents are cheaper than Isla Vista. However, the advantage is being close to State Street.

State Street: The heart of Santa Barbara proper. Here is where are the bars are located. Thursdays are nuts. However, the student population here is mostly older and established socially. Typically 3rd and 4th year students move here...not too many 1st and 2nd year students. Not saying you won't meet. People typically move to State Street/ Downtown once they know people in Isla Vista. Rents here are comparable to Isla Vista (Expensive).

Isla Vista: The student heart. Always crowded with young college students. Expensive, but managable. Personally the best place for a new student in the region. After the first year, if the noise and crowds get to you...at least you have contacts in IV if you feel like partying there.

If there is anything else I can help you with feel free to PM me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles