Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 07:52 AM

27,343 posts, read 27,397,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
I have lived here for a couple years, and it seems that many many people I know are leaving, and it seems I can't go into a coffeeshop without overhearing a conversation about who is moving where. I myself have been looking for a decent apartment for 1000 or less and can't find the right place. I have been sleeping in my van for the past couple months, and I am ready to decamp myself. I make decent money, and for what I make in any other city I would be a homeowner right now. Is it just me, or are things getting weird around here?
Ok, weirder than usual......
and also, as an aside, I would recommend for folks looking to move to LA, better have a damn good job (40 g and up) and know where you move before you sign a lease. I have looked at at least 50 places, and the ads are very fond of making Crenshaw Village into Westchester. Gotta be careful!

Well, yeah, it is true. If one can afford to live in L.A., more power to ya. Not everyone agrees but for 1,000 month you can get a pretty decent deal in other areas, Ive looked too. I wouldnt want to live in L.A. if rent was FREE. (If you want to, message me and I'll give you some links to some sites where you can look up rentals in an area you prefer).
Calif, in general, does cost a bit more than some areas, but for the most part, wages differ too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 11:42 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
Well, yeah, it is true. If one can afford to live in L.A., more power to ya. Not everyone agrees but for 1,000 month you can get a pretty decent deal in other areas, Ive looked too. I wouldnt want to live in L.A. if rent was FREE. (If you want to, message me and I'll give you some links to some sites where you can look up rentals in an area you prefer).
Calif, in general, does cost a bit more than some areas, but for the most part, wages differ too.
Absolutely. Good point Livewire. Since Los Angeles is more of a higher priced living city, job salaries are also higher. My family thinks I am insane for planning to move here. I keep telling them not everything is so expensive you can't live. You get paid more. They don't listen though.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:04 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Absolutely. Good point Livewire. Since Los Angeles is more of a higher priced living city, job salaries are also higher. My family thinks I am insane for planning to move here. I keep telling them not everything is so expensive you can't live. You get paid more. They don't listen though.
But you don't get paid enough more to live comfortably in a nice part of town. Do you really think any particular job pays double in LA compared to any other big city? (Not including entertainment industry jobs that don't really exist in quantity outside of LA.)

Old 10-03-2008, 05:10 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
But you don't get paid enough more to live comfortably in a nice part of town. Do you really think any particular job pays double in LA compared to any other big city? (Not including entertainment industry jobs that don't really exist in quantity outside of LA.)
Well compared to where I currently live in San Antonio it's not like that. Any particular job in LA truthfully pays higher then in San Antonio. Simply because 1, it's not major big city. 2, Comfortable living is generally low cost and affordable here in TX. So basically...yes.

Old 10-04-2008, 03:08 PM

58 posts, read 159,072 times
People move in and out of Los Angeles.
It's the place where people come ... many because they have dreams and trying to fullfil them for whatever reason...and some of them will leave because their dreams are not fullfilled, turn into a nightmare.

In big cities people move.
It's part of city life.
I have lived in huge cities worldwide, it's the same.

Hope you will find a decent place to live.

Old 10-04-2008, 03:21 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venice Beach View Post
There is a hell of a lot more to life than weather. I did my film work for years out of Toronto. Cold as hell there, but I WORKED indoors and wasn't out enjoying weather anyhow. Now that I have $$$$$$, I am enjoying California and the film industry here.
Many of us who suffered through 4 season climates will disagree there, trust me.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:22 PM

141 posts, read 646,665 times
Everyone should move to Austin.. and don't visit before you move either, just pack up a U-haul with all your stuff and drive right there.. seriously its just like California but much cheaper!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles